Metro Diner

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

We went to Metro Diner for lunch today. It was crowded with a 20 minute wait at 2:00. I had the Pot Roast and my wife had a salad with chicken. Both were large portions and very good. Our service was very good. Their was a large staff present along with a lot of trainers and management. They all seemed somewhat harried with a lot of running around in between stopping to talk with each other. The bar was full with diners (I didn't see anyone drinking). For me, the diner atmosphere didn't feel like the place I would want to be sipping cocktails.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Metro Diner made its first foray into Atlanta last year. They pulled the plug and closed after only 7 months. Corporate said they picked the "wrong location" .. It was in the northern suburbs in an area with a lot of competition. They were very busy weekends, but not during the week. I tried twice on weekends, more than half hour wait .. Waiting for diner food is not in my DNA.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:23 AM
Sage

Again people in big cities normally give chain restaurants the old heave-ho, they want the dining experience to be unique with a special flair-- Guy Fieri's in NYC has gotten lousy reviews-the only people who frequent it are the out of town tourists
Old 10-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

We have all had good and bad experiences with national chains.
My experience(s) usually conclude the results are a function of the local management. Many chain locations are like non corporate locations.
The location pays their dues and that is the extent of it.

Then there are the chains who treat every location as if it were a specific corporation location, with very high standards, frequent inspections and on going training.

For example one that comes to mind to cite an example....J. Alexanders....upscale dining. One of our favorites to seek out when and where available. Always impeccable and with no compromises.
We have yet to find one that was out of step with our expectations and experiences.....for over 20 years.....the local management, staff and food are always 100% consistently good.

See the following link and listen to the video called "we are unchained". Makes the case in a 4 minute presentation;

| J. Alexander's Holdings

(not promoting J. Alexanders....just offering what I feel is a good example.....one of many)
Old 10-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Sage

Restaurant choices are our own. We either like or dislike a place. There are times when a nice, unhurried, gourmet dinner is enjoyed. There are also times when diner dining is fun and extremely enjoyable. Your experiences may vary, but we either like or don’t like various food establishments. Always fun going out to dine with our son, the chef. Some places are sophisticated, with gourmet food and royal treatment. Other places I wondered about...and found some of the chain restaurants he chose, really served amazing food. Never judge.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Restaurant choices are our own. We either like or dislike a place. There are times when a nice, unhurried, gourmet dinner is enjoyed. There are also times when diner dining is fun and extremely enjoyable. Your experiences may vary, but we either like or don’t like various food establishments. Always fun going out to dine with our son, the chef. Some places are sophisticated, with gourmet food and royal treatment. Other places I wondered about...and found some of the chain restaurants he chose, really served amazing food. Never judge.
This is so true. I had never gone to Beef O'Brady's before because I thought it was heavy on the fried foods and calories. But it was close to a club meeting we were going to with friends, so I suggested we eat there first. I had a very nice blackened fish salad.

Never judge is right!
Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

We went to Metro Diner this morning. It was very nice. The food was good, the restaurant was clean, and the staff was friendly and very well trained.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:18 PM

Ate there , food was good, service was good, place was clean. Menu looked like a nice selection. Drinks were keeped full. Price was reasonable.
I will go there again.
Don’t care if it is a chain or a mom and pop place.
But I do care about the food and how clean a place is.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:28 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

Many of us grew up with local 50’s type diners. For sure a diner in NYC is going to be different than one in Springfield, IL with (pictures of Elvis and Marilyn, etc. on the wall). Frankly, a diner with a bar just doesn’t fit into my concept of a 50’s diner. However, must give Metro Diner a try. The cooks and servers are more important anyway.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

Went to Metro yesterday around 2PM. Waited about 10 minutes for table. I had the French dip which was delicious. Spouse had scrambled eggs, home fries, biscuit and sausage patties. Eggs were way overcooked, biscuit was hard and burned, sausage was like a frisbee (way overcooked). The diner was so cold that the food was cold within a few minutes. Yes, we alerted management and received an apology for egg meal, but were offered no solution to the problem. Maybe just a bad day; we will try one more time.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Again people in big cities normally give chain restaurants the old heave-ho, they want the dining experience to be unique with a special flair-- Guy Fieri's in NYC has gotten lousy reviews-the only people who frequent it are the out of town tourists
Are people in big cities more aware, more sophisticated, have better taste, have greater insight than those who live in less populated areas?

Or just more.........umm.......more.....uh.......
Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 AM
fw102807

It very much matters where you came from as to what you like and how much you are willing to pay for it. I came from New England and turn my nose up at clam strips. Up there you eat the whole clam and it is fresh and delicious. I also think biscuits and gravy is disgusting but was not brought up with it. I do not think other people who feel differently about this are any less sophisticated than I am, it is simply what I am used to. I also think a 15.00 meal is a bargain.

Last edited by fw102807; 11-09-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Are people in big cities more aware, more sophisticated, have better taste, have greater insight than those who live in less populated areas?

In love with themselves?
Old 11-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Platinum member

I was at Metro Diner yesterday. I ordered the breaded tenderloin. It was huge! Could only tackle have of it in one setting. It was good, but not the best ever. I would order again if I had someone to share with. My wife had the all-American burger. Again, good but not as good as Square One. The service was good and quick. We will likely be back. Would like to try breakfast next time.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

No there’s just more to choose from. Try Chicago for instance we can dine in 30 plus restaurants not one is a chain. New York is even more. Cleveland has lots of different foods.
Try Louisville Ky, you will find mom and pops in every neighborhood, you just walk out your front door down the block. There restaurants are scattered in residential areas. I guess we are just spoiled as too the multiple eateries we have available to those who frequent cities.

Tags
happy, metro, hour, diner, charity

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.