Mexican Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Default Mexican Restaurant

Are there any good Mexican restaurants around TV other than El Ranchito?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Sage
Default Re: Mexican Restaurant

Taco Bell
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Send a message via AIM to vitacr

We've tried them all - The best one in the area is in Ocala - El Taxco - take Baseline Rd (Rt 35) to Rt 40. Go West (left) pass Walmart on left - turn into 6-Gun Plaza on the right. You won't regret it. Perfect salsa and warm chips will start your meal. Their delicious rice has chunks of potatoe, celery, carrot, etc in it. They prices are very reasonable and they also have a buffet. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitacr
We've tried them all - The best one in the area is in Ocala - El Taxco - take Baseline Rd (Rt 35) to Rt 40. Go West (left) pass Walmart on left - turn into 6-Gun Plaza on the right. You won't regret it. Perfect salsa and warm chips will start your meal. Their delicious rice has chunks of potatoe, celery, carrot, etc in it. They prices are very reasonable and they also have a buffet. Good luck.
You're making me hungry. Sounds good.

Steve
:bigthumbsup:
Old 09-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Veteran member

drove by it many times, next time I'll have to stop there :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 09-03-2007, 10:55 PM

If you don't mind driving a bit, there is a great Mexican restaurant in Mt. Dora. I forget the name, but it is right downtown. Best I have found in the area. Also, there is one in Clermont in the Citrus Tower. It is called El Santiago and it is pretty good also. Mexican food, as in all types of cuisine, is subjective. These places are my favorites, but someone else might not agree with me. I have also heard there is a good one in Belleview. Haven't been yet, but I will be the judge when I do go there... ;D :hot:
Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 PM

Gobarb -
The place you're thinking of in Mt. Dora is "Fiesta Grande"... one block east of the
main street in downtown area. It's very popular, but I've only had a light business lunch there myself. Seems like it's pretty authentic, but I'd describe it as "tourist Mexicano", not "authentic Mexican".
The one in the Citrus Tower, Clermont, is "Santiago's". Very good also.... but where they really excel is with the entertainment on Friday or Saturday (live Mariachi band; margarita and drink specials, and stuff like that). Otherwise... lunch or dinner, they run a lot of specials, if you have access to Clipper Magazine.
I DO think it's kind of interesting to reallize that other than fast-food or "chain" restaurants, there's only El Ranchito in Lady Lake....OR, "El Santiago Club", on Santiago Drive.... which SOUNDS good, from what I've heard, but haven't been there.... when it comes to IN the VIllages dining.
John H.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Sage

Mainer...take El Santiago off your list of Mexican restaurants...it's actually a Key West theme with lots of seafood....no tacos or enchiladas.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:17 PM

I like El Ranchito and no need to get out on the highways. Heard tonight that Carrabas has a really good happy hour
Old 10-25-2007, 06:41 PM

My wife and I find El restaurant to be one of the worst Mexican restaurants we have dined in but really like the Mexican Restaurant "Fiesta Grande" in Mt Dora.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Veteran member

Went to El Ranchito last night and had a good "tex-mex" dinner. The same family (cousins) operates "Fiesta Grande" in Mt. Dora. Thought you'd like to know. Both good spots. Having eaten in many true mexican joints over the years what do you really know about "true mexican food"??? As gringos we don't really know "true mex food". Just thought I would throw that out for replies.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

The Chuckster makes a very good point. Authentic Mexican food is quite different than the Tex-Mex restaurants that proliferate on this side of the border. We lived in Tucson, Arizona for about 8 years and became afficiandos of both styles of cooking. I haven't found a good texmex restaurant in this area although I will try the one recommended in Ocala. I am very fussy about both kinds of food so am looking forward to trying it out.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 10-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

I had an assignment at Pac Bell in Fairfield CA some years back. I had an apartment there and frequented the local and nearby restaurants like those in Napa. There was a Mexican restaurant in Fairfield that I never tried until my last day there when I went to lunch with the client. It was totally different from the chains and the other Mexican restaurants I've tried in the states. It was excellent and I truly regretted not trying it earlier. It's just like the Chinese restaurants. Go with someone who knows the real food they eat and you'll be in for an adventure. I don't mean monkey brains, just good food.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:23 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Pete

after living in California for ten years i grew to like the food on both sides of the border, authentic ,and tex mex.

I tried the Mexican resturant in Belleview ( In the Winn Dixie plaza)==I wasn't impressed.

Habanaro,s on so. 441 in Leesburg is pretty good. (just passed theLake Square mall) on the left hand side.

Haystacks buffet in front of the mall is better than Golden Corrall. Not mexican but just for info.

Try the roach coach that goes to Miona Park between 11:30 and noon. Two good looking girls and good food. YES it's safe to eat!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:08 PM

Try Cancun in Belleview. Its in 441 just north of the 484 intersection on the left side of the road(if you are going norht). Its not much to look at but the food is good and the prices are reasonable. It is family owned and if english is your native tongue, you may be the only one there. We've gone there several times for lunch and the food was great, the staff was very friendly and the price was right. :joke:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.