Mexican Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Default Re: Mexican Restaurant

I hear there is going to be a New Mexican restaurnat "Amigo's" on Town Square in the space vacated by the Copperpot opposite the Realto theatre, lets hope it is good!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Default Re: Mexican Restaurant

Went to "Latinos e Mas" in Ocala today for the first time. The food was very good considering the average local quality of Mexican food and the prices were not bad at all. They have daily lunch specials plus a regular menu. The place is managed by the same folks that run Ipanema (directly across the street) and Sky Asian Fusion in the Holiday Inn (fantastic) if that means anything. The staff was friendly and courtious and I definately am looking forward for my return trip.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieH View Post
My wife and I find El restaurant to be one of the worst Mexican restaurants we have dined in but really like the Mexican Restaurant "Fiesta Grande" in Mt Dora.
One of "the worst"? Never heard of it. YOu don't mean El Ranchito do you? I love that place. So, "the worst" needs a bit of explanation, don't ya think?

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Fiesta Grande now open in Colony Plaza. They did not have a liquor license yesterday but said it should come through this week.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
Went to El Ranchito last night and had a good "tex-mex" dinner. The same family (cousins) operates "Fiesta Grande" in Mt. Dora. Thought you'd like to know. Both good spots. Having eaten in many true mexican joints over the years what do you really know about "true mexican food"??? As gringos we don't really know "true mex food". Just thought I would throw that out for replies.
Good point, chuckster. I like "Mexican" food. I have eaten in Mexican restaurants from coast to coast, in Mexico, and even Texas. I couldn't begin to describe an authentic Mexican restaurant. The one in Spanish Springs has a menu combo I like very much so, when I have an urge for Mexican, that's my destination.

BTW, the best one I have found is in the Old Town section of San Diego. But, that was a long time ago and if it is still there I probably couldn't find it.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Good point, chuckster. I like "Mexican" food. I have eaten in Mexican restaurants from coast to coast, in Mexico, and even Texas. I couldn't begin to describe an authentic Mexican restaurant. The one in Spanish Springs has a menu combo I like very much so, when I have an urge for Mexican, that's my destination.

BTW, the best one I have found is in the Old Town section of San Diego. But, that was a long time ago and if it is still there I probably couldn't find it.
It might be the one we ate at, eons ago. The food was delicious. Used to eat at one in Escondido, CA...Cocina del Charro. Food was all homemade and wonderful! I do miss good Mexican food, but will try the new place in Colony Cottage soon.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Platinum member

Has anyone been to the new Mexican restaurant at colony cottage? Can you give us a report? We planned to go there tonight, but we were sidetracked by the fajita special at Mallory.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Smile

We had lunch there today. I give it a 'Thumbs Up'. I am definitely going to make it a regular.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Default Mexican restaurant

We found a great little place last night in the Kmart shopping mall on 441 in Belleview. Everything fresh and homemade and delicious. Also has bar and a $5.95 lunch buffet we'll have to try. It's on the south end of the strip mall-El Rodeo.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:25 AM

Cathyp, I agree with you re the Mexican place in the Kmart center. I like El Taxco but they put too many onions in everything. Also El Ranchito is terrible. They put sour cream on everything and the meat on the fajitas is cut up really really small so you don't notice that it's actually less than 1/2 lb of meat.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Sage

Hey Judy,

We were there for dinner the other night and thought it was really good!

Funny tho how everyones opinion differs. I guess you just have to try it for yourself to make that decision.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Hey Nonie,

Being from Texas I guess I have a different perspective on Mexican food. I think my mother ate too many tamales when I was in the womb. Try the place in the Kmart plaza in Belleview. It's terrific, they'll make the food to order, and they have a very inexpensive lunch buffet. Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Sage

Just as there are definite differences in cuisine between areas of the U.S., there are differences between areas of Mexico with regards to the food. I found the food different at restaurants in SoCal and Baja than that in Texas and New Mexico. I think that leads some to enjoy a particular restaurant here and others think it is not so good.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

Tried the Mexican restaurant in Colony Plaze yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. Both my wife and I had combination plates that were very good. The service was prompt, polite, and professional. I usually don't post reviews of restaurants until I have tried them a few times...but this one is promising.

By the way, one of my favorite Tex-Mex places was in Coronado, CA at the end of Orange Blvd..The Mexican Village. We still go back there when we are in the area.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 10-20-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfal View Post
Also El Ranchito is terrible.... They put sour cream on everything and the meat on the fajitas is cut up really really small so you don't notice that it's actually less than 1/2 lb of meat.
Have you tried the El Ranchito in Leesburg? We think it's pretty good... Never been to the one up north.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.