Meza Luna….

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 PM

My wife and I were there this past Friday. Although the wine portion was small we found the food to be very good. Their tomato sauce was excellent and I cleaned the plate with their delicious bread. As a NY Italian I was very pleased with the food , especially the sauce which is the integral part of Italian cooking.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
"High rent" to me signifies a higher amount than might be expected in a certain location. And don't forget the percentage the developer gets on the total receipts.

The Morse family doesn't make any percentage of total receipts. See the post above.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
"High rent" to me signifies a higher amount than might be expected in a certain location. And don't forget the percentage the developer gets on the total receipts.
They know that before they open a business.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Eternal Member

I'm so glad to hear people saying good things. We have always had good food and good service there and never any problems.
We haven't been there for awhile.
I think I'll make a note to go there next week.
We like there stromboli and pizza !
Old 01-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Eternal Member

I must say I wish the thread title did not say "Goodbye Mezza Luna". People just trolling on here would look at that and assume they are closed. It would be a shame to see that affect the business there.

We all need to be careful when we chose a thread title so it's not misleading to people who come on here and just look at the topics and don't read the posts.
We certainly never want to wish someone out of business.
There are a few places I don't like and don't go.
That doesn't mean I wish for them to close. If other people like them, that's great. I just go somewhere else and we can all enjoy what we like.
I love the choices we have in the Villages !!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Morse family doesn't make any percentage of total receipts. See the post above.
I can 150% assure you that they do make a % of sales. I not only personally know several biz owners that lease from The Developers commercial dept ..... I have seen actual leases. I also know several more that chose not to open a biz on TV leased space do to this lease provision. The % varies based on type of biz, location, size of space leased and length of lease.

The answer from the guy from the commercial dept was carefully phrased to avoid full disclosure.

That said .... it is not an uncommon practice in "hot" commercial markets.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
I can 150% assure you that they do make a % of sales. I not only personally know several biz owners that lease from The Developers commercial dept ..... I have seen actual leases. I also know several more that chose not to open a biz on TV leased space do to this lease provision. The % varies based on type of biz, location, size of space leased and length of lease.

The answer from the guy from the commercial dept was carefully phrased to avoid full disclosure.

That said .... it is not an uncommon practice in "hot" commercial markets.
Good to know, I was afraid the businesses were not told of this percentage up front and that it was an unfair practice.

Thankfully it seems all parties looking to lease are free to make the best business decision for themselves.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I must say I wish the thread title did not say "Goodbye Mezza Luna". People just trolling on here would look at that and assume they are closed. It would be a shame to see that affect the business there.

We all need to be careful when we chose a thread title so it's not misleading to people who come on here and just look at the topics and don't read the posts.
We certainly never want to wish someone out of business.
There are a few places I don't like and don't go.
That doesn't mean I wish for them to close. If other people like them, that's great. I just go somewhere else and we can all enjoy what we like.
I love the choices we have in the Villages !!

Well said and very fair. I so agree. I have been there three times and enjoyed it each time. I too wish them well.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:12 AM
Sage
Default I still remember reading....

After the public address on the subject, the words clearly stating that no percentage of sales was part of the lease on commercial property by The Villages.

Here is a link to commercial property. I wish someone would call them and ask them again. I don't care. It just bums me when people make scathing statements as if The Villages were a big con operation. \\

We have one valid and honest and reliable poster who says they do and one who says they don't and I clearly remember reading and rereading the article about it. It is done all over the country and is not uncommon and certainly legal, but I remember reading they didn't.

Missypie, do you know?????

The Villages Commercial Property Sales & Leasing
Old 01-07-2015, 06:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
After the public address on the subject, the words clearly stating that no percentage of sales was part of the lease on commercial property by The Villages.

Here is a link to commercial property. I wish someone would call them and ask them again. I don't care. It just bums me when people make scathing statements as if The Villages were a big con operation. \\

We have one valid and honest and reliable poster who says they do and one who says they don't and I clearly remember reading and rereading the article about it. It is done all over the country and is not uncommon and certainly legal, but I remember reading they didn't.

Missypie, do you know?????

The Villages Commercial Property Sales & Leasing
I can only assume about here in TV. We have a business in another state. It is located in a very affluent area. Our rent is very high but it goes with the area. When our sales exceed a certain number then we must give the landlord a percentage of our sales that were over and above the magic number. We knew this before signing on the dotted line. Of course our attorney spelled everything out for us as we were novices back in the day.

When I read about TV charging high rent, it is because we have a captive audience here. I don't think the rent is overly high if you have a good business and plan. Once again, I'll play the broken record of "location location" .
Old 01-07-2015, 11:20 AM

I've only eaten at Mezza Luna once and was quite satisfied. Absolutely nothing to complain about. If this restaurant is to close, let it be because market forces so dictate.
We don't need negative posters here on TOTV the help push it over the edge. What is the agenda here?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:36 PM

First off I had no "agenda"..I only meant goodbye as to the fact I will not be going there any longer…If we can't share our knowledge of our experiences so that others can learn and decide for themselves about local businesses ( landscapers etc.) then what good is this forum? Isn't that what made the BBB, seniors against crime, and Angie's list so popular? Cant we share what happens to us ~~~good and bad? Also, in hindsight, I did have an agenda…Was hoping that someone did know the owner and told them like I stated in the orig post... I ran a business for 20 + years and know that a few bad employees can ruin it…I would like nothing more than this restaurant to stay open.. Don't worry the moderator here changed the title…Sorry but I meant no harm, truly..Just can't think quick enough when I type I guess…
I am , however, starting to figure out why so many are leaving this forum…..
Old 01-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Sage

Seriously doubt if any posts on TOTV make or break a business.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlou View Post
First off I had no "agenda"..I only meant goodbye as to the fact I will not be going there any longer…If we can't share our knowledge of our experiences so that others can learn and decide for themselves about local businesses ( landscapers etc.) then what good is this forum? Isn't that what made the BBB, seniors against crime, and Angie's list so popular? Cant we share what happens to us ~~~good and bad? Also, in hindsight, I did have an agenda…Was hoping that someone did know the owner and told them like I stated in the orig post... I ran a business for 20 + years and know that a few bad employees can ruin it…I would like nothing more than this restaurant to stay open.. Don't worry the moderator here changed the title…Sorry but I meant no harm, truly..Just can't think quick enough when I type I guess…
Don't let a few grumpies send you packing! I see you are from Richmond, VA - so am I! Lived all over the place . . . The Fan, Varina, Shokoe Slip, West End, Chesterfield, and now North Prince George. I worked for FFV (which is now condos if you can believe it).

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlou View Post
Without going all through the posts, I don't recall anyone being nasty or anything about the original post other than those stating who does and who doesn't like it unless I missed something. My only problem was the title saying "Goodbye". I went to our Parrot Head meeting and someone came up to me and said I hear Mezza Luna closed. He said he saw it on TOTV. He skims through things here, but doesn't read or post a lot. I had to tell him that it hasn't closed.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.