Miller's Ale House - Huge Decline

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2022, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

We eat there all the time - it's never been bad (for us), and is still one of our favorite places. We've been going since they opened, and the napkins are identical to when they opened.

Last edited by PoolBrews; 02-06-2022 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:05 AM
TOTV Moderator

Please direct your comments at the restaurant, not the OP.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have always recommended Millers as an above average restaurant in the Villages area. Went there today, and it was terrible. The service was very slow, and the steak fajitas, which are usually exceptionally tender, were as tough as shoe leather. So much so that I sent them back and refused to pay for them. The napkins on the table were literally as thin as a Kleenex tissue, and the silverware was dirty. Has anyone else experienced this decline in a usually good restaurant?
I heard this exact comment a few months back. I amagine Covid probably didn’t help. Is it because bad management or employees that just don’t want to work, they just want a pay check. It’s to bad because when we were in TV a yr. ago the parking lot was completely full so business was great. So our question should be asking, what happened?
Old 02-06-2022, 09:20 AM
Default Still above average

Quote:
I have always recommended Millers as an above average restaurant in the Villages area. Went there today, and it was terrible. The service was very slow, and the steak fajitas, which are usually exceptionally tender, were as tough as shoe leather. So much so that I sent them back and refused to pay for them. The napkins on the table were literally as thin as a Kleenex tissue, and the silverware was dirty. Has anyone else experienced this decline in a usually good restaurant?
Miller's has always bern on our short list since it opened, with no bad experiences. But, we've had issues at others. We always give a restaurant at least 3 chances unless it was garbage, especially now, with short and overworked staff.
Your shoe leather and dirty silverware is a management issue. Hopefully you asked to speak to the manager. He can be a good manager, but things slip by and being made aware is a blessing
Be pleasant and let him know...then give it a week or more and try it again.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Please direct your comments at the restaurant, not the OP.
my bad. apologies sent
Old 02-06-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Remember that restaurants are still short-staffed. Your steak may have been cooked by someone who usually only does salads, or whatever, but was making the effort to cook to help the restaurant. In order to pay the folks that show up, they are doing the best they can and that might mean ordering the less expensive napkins or perhaps that might be the only thing available from their vendor since so much of “our stuff” is sitting on ships in harbors. Have you not noticed the grocery store shelves lately. Be thankful they’re still open and trying to get their operation back as it should be. Continue to support them and graciously tip the servers who are stretched thin and doing their best. Remember that businesses are still struggling.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I was there a few weeks ago with my wife (hadn't been there in about 3 yrs). I had the Pork Osso Buco and she had a Blackened Chicken Salad - both excellent and the service was impeccable. On another note, we were at The Chop House last week, for the first time, with friends. I ordered the Prime NY Strip. It was sinewy and chewy - I sent it back; it should be very good at those prices The "floor manager", Mike, came to the table and without a blink handled the whole affair in the most exemplary and professional fashion I've ever experienced at a restaurant: new hand-selected steak, free desserts for the table and a wine refill. WOW. A bad meal can be had anywhere, at any given time; it's how they handle the situation that determines my loyalty - assuming the food/service is otherwise satisfactory++

Fred
Old 02-06-2022, 10:09 AM
Default Miller's Ale House

Quote:
Yes, I experience the same disappointed. At the beginning their chicken tenders were juicy and tender. Went there recently. The hostess seemed burned out, no smile and to be honest I doubt she even cared that I was there. Chicken tenders tasted rewarmed, and very dry. I was bummed. I have not returned for months.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Nope. Just ate there. Osso Bucco excellent as always. Was busy and did wait a little longer. Of course given there are a lot of lazy people who do not want to work everyone has had staff shortages. They do the best they can. We eat out a lot and this is one of our favorite restaurants.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I stopped in there with a cousin about a week ago...my first time there

sat at the bar, had a beer and we left....place was crowded for 2:30 in the afternoon...everyone seemed happy
Old 02-06-2022, 02:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

People for the record here 1,2,3 has more knowledge in his pinky finger than most of you have in your whole body so when he tells you “The berries are ripe” shut up, get your bucket and start picking
Old 02-06-2022, 03:46 PM
Default Worker Deficit

Same old story, not enough qualified people to work or want to work. The service industry will be hit hard in the next couple of years with the advent of the $15 minimum wage. Employers already have this figured out; no full time employees. This way they can avoid the $15 minimum wage law. They you have retail stores who are installing "self-checkout". This eliminates a row of cashiers and takes only a few people to monitor the self check out kiosks. Another out is the fast food industry who are in full experimentation of robotic processing equipment. Again eliminating the need for people to do this work. Stand by folks if you think things will get cheaper, they won't.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:21 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

The manager there is excellent.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Agree about the Steak Fajitas. Miller's used to have the best Steak Fajitias in the area and now the Steak Fajitas are the worst I have ever had. I was told by the server that Miller's is using a less expensive cut of beef rather than the skirt steak. I will not order them anymore. I have all my teeth but when it takes nearly two minutes to chew the first bite, I'm done. I have discussed this with a manager but to no avail. I was offered Chicken Fajitas instead. The manager did not seem to be interested that the steak is not edible.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
Any time an issue in a restaurant always talk to the manager on line complaining is useless, posting a bad review is likewise.
It depends on the manager. Believe me, it was like talking to a wall when I tried to explain how the steak for the fajitas was not edible........at all. The manager kept saying that Miller's is paying more money now for the steak. My explanation that the steak can not be chewed easily fell on deaf ears. I give up.

Tags
millers, restaurant, decline, table, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.