Miller's Ale House - Lady Lake

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2021, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
If I want a performance I’ll turn on my television or go to a play. I don’t want a bartender to perform. If it’s “all theatre,” the drinks will probably be poorly measured and mixed and won’t taste right. If I’m paying $10 or more for a fine cocktail, I expect it to be perfect: accurately measured, fresh ingredients (no margarita mix or bottle simple syrup or factory reconstituted lemon juice), top shelf liquor. I don’t want the glass to be sticky because the bartender poured six drinks at once from a bottle without measuring.

(But if it’s not that sort of place and it’s two-fers, I usually just a gin and tonic from the well or something like that, as I’m not sure a mixed drink there will follow the recipe exactly.)

But I tip really well and have only scorn for those who don’t tip or carefully count out ten percent of the cost of a beer as a tip. People need to make a living.

life is all theatre...
Old 03-23-2021, 11:24 AM

Interesting comments. During the peak of the pandemic and I was getting many pick up orders, I gave 20 to 25% as I’d see the runner bringing the order to the car. And some people think they didn’t wait on you like it at a table so leave a buck. It’s not fair to them because sometimes they work as hard as if they’re giving full-service. Having been a waitress early in my life I understand the need to get bigger tips.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWR View Post
We stopped in Saturday night and sat in the bar. The restaurant was crowded. We have been there before and always had a nice experience.

The bar tender was complaining under his breath to his girl friend who was sitting at the bar by herself about the "cheap" Villagers who would take up his seats and not tip. He went on to say every month they (Villagers) come to the car show at Spanish Springs and then crowd the restaurant not tipping.

His girl friend was taking up a bar seat with her lap top, phone and book open and did not order anything while we were there.

The two of them continued to complain about the guests saying they attend the car show looking at the same cars every month "but they all have dementia so they (Villagers) think the cars are different".

We found the remark rather insensitive.
I have heard that Asians respect their "elders". And maybe in some counties in Europe young people respect the retired age group. But, that does NOT exist in the modern US. There was SOME dwindling respect for the elderly when I was a child. I lived in a northern city, so maybe there was some mutual respect shown in the small rural towns of the south or midwest - that I was not aware of. I would be curious if someone has an opinion as to WHY the lack of respect? Perhaps someone with psychology training on that subject? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Amazing how many defended the bartender and blames the customer.

If I owned the bar the guy would have been shown the door. Keep his opinions to himself.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:11 PM

I did a little bartending and serving growing up and considered any tip found money. My son also bartended and served at some of Atlanta's most expensive restaurants and low or non tippers was a real thing. Trouble is, servers and bartenders both have to tip out a percentage of a tab to other non-tipped workers. On top of that the IRS 'assumes' a certain level of tipping occurs whether reported or not and taxes accordingly. My son would come home some nights really beaten down when he worked all night for little to no income after tipping out etc. and he was ALWAYS considered one of the best at the restaurants and bars he worked. So although the bartender was frankly dumb saying the things he said where they could be overheard, my wife & I have a rule. If we can't afford to properly tip we don't go out to eat. Period. The only thing that will change that is when restaurant workers are all making $15/hr or more, if we can still afford to pay what they'll have to charge for the food & drink we won't have money to tip, too.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:12 PM
Veteran member

First of all I do agree that the bartender’s behavior and his friend’s behavior was inappropriate....

That said, after working at a local ACE for 5 yrs, 2 1/2 of those years as an Assistant Manager, I can personally attest to the fact that MANY, MANY Villagers are CHEAP !!! I won’t bore you with example after example but I will leave you with this “joke”...... that will illustrate my point....

A bar opened up just outside of The Villages serving draught beer for 10 cents and mixed drinks for 15 cents...... needless to say, the bar was packed all the time........ then one day an out of towner stopped in for a drink and noticed that there was a table of 4 sitting there not drinking....... the man asked the bar tender if he know why ?? The bar tender replied, “Oh, they’re from The Villages and they’re waiting for Happy Hour !! LOL !!!!

There is more truth to that story than you will ever know !!

And YES, I do live in The Villages, first home bought in 2005. We’re in our second home and will be building our third (and hopefully final) home later this summer.....
Old 03-23-2021, 06:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1701 View Post
This is a common complaint among the wait staff near here. There have been several stories about cheap Villagers who leave little, if any, tip. There must be some truth to it.
I would venture to say its a lot of truth.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWR View Post
This young lady had her shoes off, sitting on her legs, short jean cutoffs with large tattoo on her upper leg. Not a manager.... at least not on duty. Pretty sure not an employee of this restaurant.

Maybe not his girl friend but a friend.

The whining about no tipping was secondary to the dementia comment. We left without having dinner after that comment and will think hard about returning. Hopefully neither of them have someone they care about suffer from dementia.
Either way , complaining on a site that has only a percentage of those who live in TV is not getting any results. Most need to have first hand experience before not returning to an establishment.

If as a patron one is offended in any way, speaking to management would have been, a better result, even if one chooses to leave after. In no way will this post get to the establishment, and they will continue to serve customers, and those in question will continue to work there.

As for anyone they care about suffering from dementia, that is pretty much a given, considering the length people live these days.

Last edited by thelegges; 03-23-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
bar, villagers, girl, cars, friend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.