Miller's Ale House - Lady Lake

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2021, 08:01 AM
Default Miller's Ale House - Lady Lake

We stopped in Saturday night and sat in the bar. The restaurant was crowded. We have been there before and always had a nice experience.

The bar tender was complaining under his breath to his girl friend who was sitting at the bar by herself about the "cheap" Villagers who would take up his seats and not tip. He went on to say every month they (Villagers) come to the car show at Spanish Springs and then crowd the restaurant not tipping.

His girl friend was taking up a bar seat with her lap top, phone and book open and did not order anything while we were there.

The two of them continued to complain about the guests saying they attend the car show looking at the same cars every month "but they all have dementia so they (Villagers) think the cars are different".

We found the remark rather insensitive.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:11 AM

We go to the car shows every month they are enjoyable. As far as tipping I'm a former bartender I always tip the bartender before ordering a drink you get a better drink and service.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWR View Post
We stopped in Saturday night and sat in the bar. The restaurant was crowded. We have been there before and always had a nice experience.

The bar tender was complaining under his breath to his girl friend who was sitting at the bar by herself about the "cheap" Villagers who would take up his seats and not tip. He went on to say every month they (Villagers) come to the car show at Spanish Springs and then crowd the restaurant not tipping.

His girl friend was taking up a bar seat with her lap top, phone and book open and did not order anything while we were there.

The two of them continued to complain about the guests saying they attend the car show looking at the same cars every month "but they all have dementia so they (Villagers) think the cars are different".

Wow bartender is a real class act. Wrong not to tip the guy but he should not be having that conversation there.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

sounds like the barkeep is an unhappy person...most likely through no fault other than is own...and in the wrong line of work

he's missing out on a lot of great conversations and the ability to create 'a following' as a result of his narrow mindedness

I've seen a lot of barkeeps in my day, some worked it like a Hollywood actor and were handsomely rewarded for their performance by the patrons and then there were the others that just seemed to go through the motions

...IMHO tending bar is 1/3rd knowing how to make a good drink, and 2/3'rds being alert and knowing how to work the crowd...it's all theatre

the secret to happiness is to go forward with joy, rather than going forward seeking joy
Old 03-22-2021, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

I would have not tipped, and upon leaving, I would have told him that I had dementia, and if I hadn't already left him a tip, it was because I forgot.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

To me it is weird that so many people would go there after the car show when there are so many restaurants at Spanish Springs without getting you car and leaving the Villages. If he paid better attention to his customers, maybe he would get more tips.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:22 AM

Well, I'm sure his girlfriend will help him sweep before they leave the joint.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:23 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Wondering how the bartender knows all the folks are Villagers! They didn't arrive there by golf cart!

Old 03-22-2021, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Wondering how the bartender knows all the folks are Villagers! They didn't arrive there by golf cart!
Probably just assumes
Old 03-22-2021, 02:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Let's see, over 120,000 old folks living in TV, doesn't take advanced algebra to figure what the odds are that the biggest share of the customers are going to be villagers. That and the entitled attitude so many have.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Laslowe View Post
Well, I'm sure his girlfriend will help him sweep before they leave the joint.
Unless she was holding a big sign stating bartender’s girlfriend, it could have been an assistant manager. They usually sit at the end of the bar with view of almost all of the restaurant, using a laptop and sometimes multiple cellphones. If you pay attention you will see a person in those spots in 90% of restaurants.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Unless she was holding a big sign stating bartender’s girlfriend, it could have been an assistant manager. They usually sit at the end of the bar with view of almost all of the restaurant, using a laptop and sometimes multiple cellphones. If you pay attention you will see a person in those spots in 90% of restaurants.
Even worse if asst manager criticizing their customers
Old 03-22-2021, 07:21 PM

Bartender prob. mad because he's not sitting home like his friend getting enhanced unemployment and minimum monthly income.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWR View Post

WOW!! Sounds like the same bartender at Cane Garden about a year or more ago saying the same stuff about the cheap Villagers. Hope the owner or manager sees and hears about that person. He needs to go work elsewhere!!
Old 03-23-2021, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
This young lady had her shoes off, sitting on her legs, short jean cutoffs with large tattoo on her upper leg. Not a manager.... at least not on duty. Pretty sure not an employee of this restaurant.

Maybe not his girl friend but a friend.

The whining about no tipping was secondary to the dementia comment. We left without having dinner after that comment and will think hard about returning. Hopefully neither of them have someone they care about suffer from dementia.

Last edited by RobertWR; 03-23-2021 at 01:35 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
bar, villagers, girl, cars, friend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.