It must be me

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2021, 07:40 AM
Default Restaurant reservations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Last week I posted about my reservation being "stolen" at a country club. Well, another weekend provided two more chances for reservations and two more problems. I don't see many (any?) posts about this so the problem must be me.

First new problem: what does a reservation really mean anyway?

I had nine people this time so I knew a reservation was in order. Called on a Monday to make the reservation and again on Wednesday to confirm it. Showed up ten minutes early then waited another 40 minutes before we were seated.

My expectation when I make a reservation is that the restaurant and I have an agreement: they will have a table ready at or near the specified time and I will arrive at or before the specified time. Pretty simple, or so I thought. It turns out at this particular establishment a "reservation" means when you arrive your name goes on the top of the list for the next suitable table. Since I needed space for nine, there were 40 minutes of unsuitable tables before one became available for us. And apparently nine is a special number because a table of seven and a table for eight that arrived after us were seated while we stood at the host desk.

The service and the meal were fine. There were a couple of small issues but nothing worth mentioning. Getting drinks, appetizers, and main courses for nine while serving other tables too is tricky and the waitress did a good job. We left happy about everything except the reservation issue.

Second new problem: Reservation? What reservation?

We decided lunch would be nice. Again, having nine people I called ahead (the day before) to make a reservation. I was told reservations were only taken for groups of six or more but that was okay since I was a group of nine. Provided the group size, the time of the reservation, my name, and my phone number. I had two unfortunate experiences but the third time is the charm!

Nope! Showed up five minutes early this time and learned they knew nothing at all about the reservation I had made. "Sometimes people call when it's busy and things get lost." Fortunately, the restaurant was pretty empty so it was easy for them to accommodate us.

Again, the food and the service were exceptional; the only frustration was the snafu with the reservation.

Is it really just me? Am I the only one that has these issues? Is it too much to expect that after I spend the time to call and make a reservation that my name will be at the desk, a table will be waiting, and there won't be anyone else sitting at it? I haven't given up on the restaurants, the food and service has been very good, but I really have to think about whether I bring guests anymore.
You are NOT the only one! Last night we had reservations at one of the Country Club restaurants for 6 people at 6pm. I received a "reminder text" at 5:30pm, confirming that they were expecting us at 6. Upon our "on time" arrival, we were told that a table was not available & we would have to wait. We did wait (about 30 min). The server was excellent, as was the food, but it was a frustrating way to start our evening, especially with out of town guests...
Old 12-29-2021, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

For years and years I have wondered why people don't have dinner guests when they by expensive home with a dining room. If you're going to spend the money and certainly get a chef for the night and that way you have 9 chairs waiting for you.
By the way I can put a turkey on my bbq and make all the extras 4 less than one person will pay for going out. I can also buy two or three pounds of salmon or steaks.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
For years and years I have wondered why people don't have dinner guests when they by expensive home with a dining room. If you're going to spend the money and certainly get a chef for the night and that way you have 9 chairs waiting for you.
By the way I can put a turkey on my bbq and make all the extras 4 less than one person will pay for going out. I can also buy two or three pounds of salmon or steaks.
  1. - My home doesn't have a separate dining room
  2. - Would rather enjoy my guests' company than spend my time cleaning, preparing, presenting, clearing, and then cleaning again
  3. - Don't have a table large enough for nine guests
  4. - Not everyone ordered the same meal whether it was turkey, salmon, or steak
  5. - Don't know the local number for dial-a-chef
  6. - Would take more than three pounds of steak for nine people (also, not everyone eats steak)
  7. - Trying to help the local economy
  8. - Simply not the way I wanted to entertain those nights (guests were here for a week)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-29-2021, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

Oh the problems people have !

Old 12-29-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierPa View Post
Oh the problems people have !
They're real here in the first world.
Closed Thread

Tags
reservation, time, table, make, minutes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.