It must be me

Closed Thread
Old 12-27-2021, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts
Default It must be me

Last week I posted about my reservation being "stolen" at a country club. Well, another weekend provided two more chances for reservations and two more problems. I don't see many (any?) posts about this so the problem must be me.

First new problem: what does a reservation really mean anyway?

I had nine people this time so I knew a reservation was in order. Called on a Monday to make the reservation and again on Wednesday to confirm it. Showed up ten minutes early then waited another 40 minutes before we were seated.

My expectation when I make a reservation is that the restaurant and I have an agreement: they will have a table ready at or near the specified time and I will arrive at or before the specified time. Pretty simple, or so I thought. It turns out at this particular establishment a "reservation" means when you arrive your name goes on the top of the list for the next suitable table. Since I needed space for nine, there were 40 minutes of unsuitable tables before one became available for us. And apparently nine is a special number because a table of seven and a table for eight that arrived after us were seated while we stood at the host desk.

The service and the meal were fine. There were a couple of small issues but nothing worth mentioning. Getting drinks, appetizers, and main courses for nine while serving other tables too is tricky and the waitress did a good job. We left happy about everything except the reservation issue.

Second new problem: Reservation? What reservation?

We decided lunch would be nice. Again, having nine people I called ahead (the day before) to make a reservation. I was told reservations were only taken for groups of six or more but that was okay since I was a group of nine. Provided the group size, the time of the reservation, my name, and my phone number. I had two unfortunate experiences but the third time is the charm!

Nope! Showed up five minutes early this time and learned they knew nothing at all about the reservation I had made. "Sometimes people call when it's busy and things get lost." Fortunately, the restaurant was pretty empty so it was easy for them to accommodate us.

Again, the food and the service were exceptional; the only frustration was the snafu with the reservation.

Is it really just me? Am I the only one that has these issues? Is it too much to expect that after I spend the time to call and make a reservation that my name will be at the desk, a table will be waiting, and there won't be anyone else sitting at it? I haven't given up on the restaurants, the food and service has been very good, but I really have to think about whether I bring guests anymore.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-27-2021, 03:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I think it is you and remind me not to go to dinner with you, lol.

A reservation is what you expect it to be. Once in awhile the table might not be ready because someone stayed 2 hours rather than a hour and a half. What you experienced is call ahead seating which gets you on a list and the restaurant needs to spell that out before you call.

A lost reservation can happen and you might have not given it a thought if it wasn’t strike 3. I always worry that I will call one restaurant but show up at another when they have multiple locations.

Glad that the food and service were at least good. Look forward to hear what happens on your next dinner out.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

What you are experiencing is incompetence and/or a lack of consideration for customers. It is very prevalent, and not only in restaurants.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:56 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default An alternative to the reality. . .

TV is so big and there are so many big and bigger groups going out to dinner together — especially during the high season.

Therefore, may I suggest — and I mean this in the kindest, most supportive way possible — you might want to lower your expectations.

Or. . .

you could organize a dinner-at-home group where friends take turns hosting. It would not have to be an elaborate plan. The get-together could be as easy as the hosts being responsible for picking up some kind of easy carry-out and setting the table at their house. Could add to that — taking turns bringing dessert or appetizers. BYOB or not.

Just think how nice it would be to skip the angst and to enjoy actual conversation without having to contend with the din of a packed, rushed restaurant.

Just a thought,
Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-27-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

I made a reservation Christmas Eve for 9 family members at the Chop House and was seated immediately. There is a difference between a reservation and a call ahead. I also made a reservation for 11 family members at Lopez Legacy last night and again was given a beautiful table and seated immediately. I don't understand your problem. Every Friday after golf 4 of us go to Bonify and I make a reservation. Our table is alway ready. We love TV. We have been here 13 years.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,902 Times in 914 Posts

Is there anyone else in TV with your name whom the restaurants don't like?
could be the name, but not you?

I know there is a doppelganger with my same name in the villages, from Kentucky where some of my X^y times removed cousins settled after arriving in the 1630s.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Is there anyone else in TV with your name whom the restaurants don't like?
could be the name, but not you?

I know there is a doppelganger with my same name in the villages, from Kentucky where some of my X^y times removed cousins settled after arriving in the 1630s.

I never thought about that, it could explain everything! I'll use bilcon's name from now on when making reservations

Probably just not my week... or maybe all my luck is gathering and that next lottery ticket will be a winner!

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-27-2021, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

"They know how to -take- the reservation, but they just don't know how to -keep- the reservation..."

-Jerry Seinfeld

Seinfeld - Car Reservation - YouTube

-Tom Petty
Old 12-27-2021, 08:32 PM

Thankfully, no lives were lost....
Old 12-27-2021, 09:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
I made a reservation Christmas Eve for 9 family members at the Chop House and was seated immediately. There is a difference between a reservation and a call ahead. I also made a reservation for 11 family members at Lopez Legacy last night and again was given a beautiful table and seated immediately. I don't understand your problem. Every Friday after golf 4 of us go to Bonify and I make a reservation. Our table is alway ready. We love TV. We have been here 13 years.
Several months ago, I made a reservation for Christmas Eve at the Chop House for a party of seven. My reservation was confirmed by The Chop House via text a couple of weeks before Dec. 24th. We all arrived at least 15 minutes before our reservation time. We waited 50 minutes (BEYOND OUR RESERVATION TIME) to be seated at the very busy restaurant. The meals and service were wonderful.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Your expectations regarding reservations are very reasonable in my opinion. Personally, patience is not a virtue I possess, so if a restaurant does not take reservations it’s a non-starter. I find our dinning out options in the Villages somewhat limited given that many restaurants don’t take reservations, at least for a party of two. Bonefish has always been a go to for us since they take reservations, but the last couple of times there we have had a long wait despite having a reservation. Since Covid, we rarely eat out unless well spaced outside dinning is available, so it’s been a lot of take out. We learned very quickly when placing a take out order to add at least 15- 20 minutes to the pick up time given when placing the order since the food is almost never ready on time. The labor shortage is noticeably effecting restaurants ability to provide the service we became accustomed to before the pandemic. Hopefully this is not the new normal and things will eventually return to service levels we enjoyed pre 2020.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:25 AM

Wouldn't plan a vacation around a 'reservation' at The Village Pet Spa either. Been burned twice there.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Last week I posted about my reservation being "stolen" at a country club. Well, another weekend provided two more chances for reservations and two more problems. I don't see many (any?) posts about this so the problem must be me.

First new problem: what does a reservation really mean anyway?

I had nine people this time so I knew a reservation was in order. Called on a Monday to make the reservation and again on Wednesday to confirm it. Showed up ten minutes early then waited another 40 minutes before we were seated.

My expectation when I make a reservation is that the restaurant and I have an agreement: they will have a table ready at or near the specified time and I will arrive at or before the specified time. Pretty simple, or so I thought. It turns out at this particular establishment a "reservation" means when you arrive your name goes on the top of the list for the next suitable table. Since I needed space for nine, there were 40 minutes of unsuitable tables before one became available for us. And apparently nine is a special number because a table of seven and a table for eight that arrived after us were seated while we stood at the host desk.

The service and the meal were fine. There were a couple of small issues but nothing worth mentioning. Getting drinks, appetizers, and main courses for nine while serving other tables too is tricky and the waitress did a good job. We left happy about everything except the reservation issue.

Second new problem: Reservation? What reservation?

We decided lunch would be nice. Again, having nine people I called ahead (the day before) to make a reservation. I was told reservations were only taken for groups of six or more but that was okay since I was a group of nine. Provided the group size, the time of the reservation, my name, and my phone number. I had two unfortunate experiences but the third time is the charm!

Nope! Showed up five minutes early this time and learned they knew nothing at all about the reservation I had made. "Sometimes people call when it's busy and things get lost." Fortunately, the restaurant was pretty empty so it was easy for them to accommodate us.

Again, the food and the service were exceptional; the only frustration was the snafu with the reservation.

Is it really just me? Am I the only one that has these issues? Is it too much to expect that after I spend the time to call and make a reservation that my name will be at the desk, a table will be waiting, and there won't be anyone else sitting at it? I haven't given up on the restaurants, the food and service has been very good, but I really have to think about whether I bring guests anymore.

It's just you. I've never heard of anyone else complaining of this. It sounds like you've found something to complain about and trolling to get responses.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:35 AM

Is this a Seinfeld episode??.. Jerry covers all this in that episode..
Old 12-28-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
"They know how to -take- the reservation, but they just don't know how to -keep- the reservation..."

-Jerry Seinfeld

Seinfeld - Car Reservation - YouTube
Seinfeld, four!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
reservation, time, table, make, minutes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.