New BBQ place SO Good!

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
A number of people have mentioned that they don't care for Oakwood or prefer other places over Oakwood. But I don't think anyone has voiced a reason for the preference? Why, oh why, posters?
I think it depends on what state you’re Q comes from. The Carolinas are more vinegar-based. Then it depends on what they’re smoking with cherry, Hickory, Apple. I don’t really think it’s a fact of it’s good bad or in different it’s what you’ve grown up with when it comes to barbecue. I am not a fan of vinegar-based barbecue. Oak wood is ok but just do not like the smoking method.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Platinum member

Disclaimer: I am the last person to judge ribs. Growing up in Brooklyn, a typical “barbecue” was franks, burgers and chicken cooked on a butane gas grill in a friend’s backyard. So what do I know? Also, my all time favorite recipe would be top quality ribs prepared in an upscale Chinese restaurant with a little duck sauce on the side. So take my comments with a grain of grits …

- - - - - -

I loved these ribs. Since I am not a big fan of BBQ sauce, I asked that it not be added to the ribs but served on the side. I could smell the earthy, smokey aroma of these ribs on the plate. They are cooked low and slow and were fall of the bone tender. I did dip a little in the sauce and found it was not as offensively sweet as I thought it would be. My husband, who does not eat Pork, had an order of Beef Ribs which he thoroughly enjoyed. (NOTE: These are NOT on the menu but we had special ordered them and Matt graciously accommodated us by cooking up a rack).

I also loved the cole slaw. It definitely tasted home made and was less sweet (which we prefer) and drier than the cole slaw at KFC which we also like. We did not try the beans.

So I don’t know how true blue, BBQ aficionados would rate/rank these but this is my review. I loved the meal but take it from where it comes. LOL
Old 10-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post

So I don’t know how true blue, BBQ aficionados would rate/rank these but this is my review. I loved the meal but take it from where it comes. LOL
Thank you very much for your review.

Don't worry about your qualifications. I judge BBQ contests sanctioned by the KCBS, using their standards. When all is said and done, the absolute best BBQ is the BBQ that you enjoy. Same goes for pizza, chili and so on.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Gold member

///

Last edited by NoMoSno; 10-08-2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: not appropriate now that posts were deleted
Old 10-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Sage

Glad to hear you enjoyed the pulled pork. Will try and stop in on Saturday....sounds like a delicious meal to me.

(Never have tried the pulled pork at Oakwood, but I do enjoy their ribs. Everyone enjoys something different...that’s just the way it is...)
Old 10-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Good food is good food wherever you find it.
Bingo. Sometimes a "dirty water" Sabrett on 6th Avenue can be just as satisfying as a porterhouse in Peter Luger.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Disclaimer: I am the last person to judge ribs. Growing up in Brooklyn, a typical “barbecue” was franks, burgers and chicken cooked on a butane gas grill in a friend’s backyard. So what do I know? Also, my all time favorite recipe would be top quality ribs prepared in an upscale Chinese restaurant with a little duck sauce on the side. So take my comments with a grain of grits …

- - - - - -

I loved these ribs. Since I am not a big fan of BBQ sauce, I asked that it not be added to the ribs but served on the side. I could smell the earthy, smokey aroma of these ribs on the plate. They are cooked low and slow and were fall of the bone tender. I did dip a little in the sauce and found it was not as offensively sweet as I thought it would be. My husband, who does not eat Pork, had an order of Beef Ribs which he thoroughly enjoyed. (NOTE: These are NOT on the menu but we had special ordered them and Matt graciously accommodated us by cooking up a rack).

I also loved the cole slaw. It definitely tasted home made and was less sweet (which we prefer) and drier than the cole slaw at KFC which we also like. We did not try the beans.

Looks like you might know your way around meat...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
Huh??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That’s NY speak. You wouldn’t understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 08:18 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Oakwood has very good baby back ribs. I’ve eaten a rib or two and paid twice as much. In the last 10 years we have taken several guests to Oakwood, and they all (everyone) agree. The new place OP mentioned is worth a visit soon.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:37 PM
Platinum member

Thanks Ecuadog. LOL dirtbanker – here is a translation.

Sabrett: A company that made hotdogs and buns and produced the street carts that were prevalent in NYC starting in the early to mid forties.

Dirty Water: The hot dogs sold from these carts were boiled and would sit in the hot water until sold. It was rumored that they had a unique taste because the water was never changed - - hence the nickname dirty water dogs.

6th Avenue was the former name of the now Avenue of the Americas in NYC where a preponderance of these hot dog carts could be found.

Peter Lugers: One of the most famous steak houses in NYC. Actually located in Williamsburg, a neighborhood in Brooklyn.

So now you have it.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,927 Times in 2,453 Posts

Best BBQ I've had was at the original " county line BBQ " in Austin Texas. IMO texas BBQ and Tex Mex sets the standard to compare BBQ and Tex mex Mexican food. So far I've found none close down here. But , I will try it with open mind.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:01 AM

I give Oakwood express an 8. Good smoke, good sauce, and great sides. But the cut the baby backs in half, long ways. we're not getting a full rack!
Old 11-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Default Try Artman's BBQ

Try Artman's BBQ, Hwy 42 (north end of The Villages). Everybody has their "best", try it, it is the BEST in my opinion. From Hwy 301, turn right onto Hwy 42, first Bldg on right after RR tracks. Closed on Monday & Tuesday.
My favorite is the Papa Special.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Best BBQ I've had was at the original " county line BBQ " in Austin Texas. IMO texas BBQ and Tex Mex sets the standard to compare BBQ and Tex mex Mexican food. So far I've found none close down here. But , I will try it with open mind.
Agreed, especially "So far I've found none close down here."
Old 11-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Oakwood is the best around here, but only average in Chicago, St Louis, Dallas, or Memphis. Never tried them in KC but hear they're excellent also.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I do so disagree about Oakwood.. Pork falling off the bone and flavored with not too sweet or not too tart sauce. Can choose WONDERFUL Green beans and ham...OHIO cooked all day...or Lima beans, best anywhere, great baked potato..(back again)
and Corn Relish too.

AT a reasonable price and no one can fault the no frills country rib place atmosphere.

Tags
smoked, great, bbq, cole, ribs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.