New Chinese restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2022, 05:00 AM
Default New Chinese restaurant

Hi
I read awhile ago that there was a new Chinese restaurant opening next to Giovanni’s in the Southern at Trace plaza.
And then… I read on Nextdoor somewhere that it wasn’t happening.
Anyone have info? We really need a good Chinese restaurant!
Thanks
Old 09-09-2022, 05:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Not open yet but has a lot of promise. Understand it is being run by former operators of Koyame which we frequented a lot
Old 09-09-2022, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,588 Times in 1,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremybeluga View Post
Hi
I read awhile ago that there was a new Chinese restaurant opening next to Giovanni’s in the Southern at Trace plaza.
And then… I read on Nextdoor somewhere that it wasn’t happening.
Anyone have info? We really need a good Chinese restaurant!
Thanks
I remember joking some years back that because of the obvious sameness in Chinese restaurants (especially buffets) it was obvious that they all got their food from the same truck. It was meant as a joke--until one day I actually saw the truck!

I enjoy going to Chinese restaurants but my expectations are never that great. The food is good--and plentiful--and cheap--and (usually) hot, and the service is usually much quicker than in other restaurants. I have only gone to two that I thought were exceptional: one in a southern suburb of Minneapolis that had a "dim sum day" which was great though the lines were pretty long. The other one was a small restaurant in Duluth, MN: Chef Yee's, run by a couple Alan and Amy Yee. Everything from scratch: the wor wonton soup was exceptional and usually served as an appetizer, followed by any number of excellent main dishes, all prepared on-site and served piping hot. The restaurant is closed now: Alan and Amy headed to more fertile grounds in I believe Oregon. Duluth lost one of their very few really good restaurants when they left.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I remember joking some years back that because of the obvious sameness in Chinese restaurants (especially buffets) it was obvious that they all got their food from the same truck. It was meant as a joke--until one day I actually saw the truck!

I enjoy going to Chinese restaurants but my expectations are never that great. The food is good--and plentiful--and cheap--and (usually) hot, and the service is usually much quicker than in other restaurants. I have only gone to two that I thought were exceptional: one in a southern suburb of Minneapolis that had a "dim sum day" which was great though the lines were pretty long. The other one was a small restaurant in Duluth, MN: Chef Yee's, run by a couple Alan and Amy Yee. Everything from scratch: the wor wonton soup was exceptional and usually served as an appetizer, followed by any number of excellent main dishes, all prepared on-site and served piping hot. The restaurant is closed now: Alan and Amy headed to more fertile grounds in I believe Oregon. Duluth lost one of their very few really good restaurants when they left.
Any news on the new one?
Old 09-09-2022, 10:28 AM

My wife walked by there yesterday and it looks like major reconstruction is going on. It will be a little while before it opens.

Last edited by Flyers999; 09-09-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:01 AM

We have been patrons of Koyame for years and really liked the original owners. Hoping that they continue the high quality of their food in the new location.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterray1 View Post
We have been patrons of Koyame for years and really liked the original owners. Hoping that they continue the high quality of their food in the new location.
Wonder and hope it will be a buffet, great way to try other dishes
Old 09-09-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post

How can you not talk about the Nan-Kin in Downtown Mpls....

One other difference is the Chow Mein, especially the noodles soft instead of crunchy...
Old 09-10-2022, 06:03 AM
Default Chinese restaurants

If some entrepreneur would open a superior Chinese restaurant like many we have up north it would be a gold mine. It seems to me here in the south Chinese is relegated to almost a fast food cheesiness. A classy venue with great food would be a boon both to the Villages and to those that might make this so.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:44 AM

I like Cheng’s in front of Walmart on 466.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcats View Post
If some entrepreneur would open a superior Chinese restaurant like many we have up north it would be a gold mine. It seems to me here in the south Chinese is relegated to almost a fast food cheesiness. A classy venue with great food would be a boon both to the Villages and to those that might make this so.
Is it really a north/south thing or is it more a matter of Villagers being unwilling to pay for good food and way too many like their food bland? I think you might find what you like in a city such as Orlando or Tampa, where I’ve found some great restaurants.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcats View Post
There is always Yummy house in Ocala.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:38 AM

This thread is making me hungry .
Old 09-10-2022, 08:02 AM

Where was the one you said was opening the new one ? Was it the one that was originally there?
Old 09-10-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
There is always Yummy house in Ocala.
Have you seen the prices at Yummy House? Prices run around $9.95 for soups and the average price for entrees is about $15.00. For the entrees, I will admit that the portions are quite large - each one will serve two. Imagine a party of 4 only ordering 2 entrees. Sort of takes away the idea of sampling different dishes. However, they seem to have a never ending supply of of take out boxes. By the way, if that party of four each ordered their own entrée, they would be given a check totaling about $75.

One other thing - how do two people share a large bowl of soup. They had better bring it with a ladle and two small bowls.

Offsetting the above is that the food is very good. But Yummy House is not P.F. Chang's
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurant, chinese, read, happening, nextdoor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.