New Farmshed Restaurant in SS

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2021, 10:39 AM
Angry New Farmshed Restaurant in SS

I don’t know where the new Farmshed Restaurant in Spanish Springs thought they were locating, but their prices are ridiculously high for that area. $16 for a hamburger when there are several places in the area MUCH cheaper. Fried chicken (thighs) $20. A side order of fries $6. And if the menu on their web site is complete, it is extremely limited. I hope they signed a short lease.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

The owners are Villagers who have made a substantial investment in our community. I believe we should give them a fair chance to get established and work out any glitches.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Veteran member

The Villages is awash with restaurants that offer deals and low prices for those who watch their budget. For those restaurants to make a profit they need to shop prudently and be careful on their payroll expenses.

However, there is a niche market for Villagers willing to spend a bit more for higher quality and service. If this new business can meet the higher expectations that go with higher prices they can also be successful.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
I don’t know where the new Farmshed Restaurant in Spanish Springs thought they were locating, but their prices are ridiculously high for that area. $16 for a hamburger when there are several places in the area MUCH cheaper. Fried chicken (thighs) $20. A side order of fries $6. And if the menu on their web site is complete, it is extremely limited. I hope they signed a short lease.
They opened last Thursday and it is a soft opening. The burger price is comparable to the better restaurants in TV. Fries come with the burger. The owners live in TV and the appropriate thing is to wish them success.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default For a good burger that is not

Quote:
out of the normal , and don’t worry so much you can still frequent the drive thru where you can have it your way

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 05-18-2021 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-18-2021, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Well if the hamburger pictured is the one for $16, it looks like it may be worth it.

Farmshed American Diner
Old 05-18-2021, 11:18 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
You get what you pay for. I think the menu looks great and can't wait to try it.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:30 AM
Veteran member

Looks like Farmshed is worth trying. The filet price is actually very inexpensive, and it seems their meats are fresh from a nearby farm. Good luck. Hope to get up there, shortly.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:51 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
The Villages is awash with restaurants that offer deals and low prices for those who watch their budget. For those restaurants to make a profit they need to shop prudently and be careful on their payroll expenses.

However, there is a niche market for Villagers willing to spend a bit more for higher quality and service. If this new business can meet the higher expectations that go with higher prices they can also be successful.
In case you haven't noticed, the price of food and labor is rapidly increasing. Inflation was 4.5% last month alone. Wages and food cost for our restaurants in TV will continue to rise and therefore so will prices. Welcome to the new reality.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

We had two late lunches last week, a soft opening is a learning curve. Prices on the new online menu, are less than the menu last week.
Bloody Mary was flavorful, not as spicy as other places, $16. Greens were extremely good. $6. Little disappointed in the rest of the meal.
Staff attentive, but Do Not wear masks, so if you are uncomfortable with no mask staff you might want to wait.
We will give them a few more weeks, before trying again.

Last edited by thelegges; 05-18-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Assume you will not be visiting………so why the bashing?
Old 05-18-2021, 05:48 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
I went to McDonalds a few days ago....Double Quarter Pounder with cheese meal...just under 11 bux. Yep cheaper, and oh the ambience!
Old 05-18-2021, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
In case you haven't noticed, the price of food and labor is rapidly increasing. Inflation was 4.5% last month alone. Wages and food cost for our restaurants in TV will continue to rise and therefore so will prices. Welcome to the new reality.
so much for the insistence that inflation is caused by a high minimum wage. Minimum wage is the same $8.65/hour here as it was last year. It doesn't go up until September.

This has nothing to do with inflation. Farmshed's prices aren't higher than they were this time last year, because they didn't exist this time last year. They're a local-centric restaurant.

For those who venture beyond the golden arches once or twice a year, local-centric restaurants tend to offer food from higher quality, smaller farms better managed with better quality feed and living conditions of the animals, and locally sourced vegetables and fruits are less likely to be GMO, with fewer pesticides introduced into the soil, than getting it all from a food distribution warehouse somewhere in Tallahassee. And yes, they do tend to be more expensive in general.

That said - if Farmshed had chosen to put their restaurant outside the town square and instead built up the block (there's a vacant building with a terrific parking lot they could've gotten for cheap, most likely), they would've paid a lot less for rent, and they could've passed some of that savings to their customers.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
so much for the insistence that inflation is caused by a high minimum wage. Minimum wage is the same $8.65/hour here as it was last year. It doesn't go up until September.

This has nothing to do with inflation. Farmshed's prices aren't higher than they were this time last year, because they didn't exist this time last year. They're a local-centric restaurant.

For those who venture beyond the golden arches once or twice a year, local-centric restaurants tend to offer food from higher quality, smaller farms better managed with better quality feed and living conditions of the animals, and locally sourced vegetables and fruits are less likely to be GMO, with fewer pesticides introduced into the soil, than getting it all from a food distribution warehouse somewhere in Tallahassee. And yes, they do tend to be more expensive in general.

That said - if Farmshed had chosen to put their restaurant outside the town square and instead built up the block (there's a vacant building with a terrific parking lot they could've gotten for cheap, most likely), they would've paid a lot less for rent, and they could've passed some of that savings to their customers.
Aloha did not say a word about minimum wage.

Some of this stuff comes from the Pandemic and some of the financial mess comes from trying to do good and protect people to find out they won't work if they can get money for not working.

Some people almost always do the right thing, the good thing, the decent thing and some folks are not like that at all.

As for the vacant building; people are not pressured to choose where they rent. The high rent is because it is a prime location. Everyone knows how much the rent is here and know it is high in lots of areas of Florida that are considered destination hot spots.
It is market driven. I am tight as a drum but occasionally I don't mind paying for good food in a nice place.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

So 14 posts, and only one post that has actually been in the restaurant (that would be us). Really don’t think it’s fair to judge an establishment unless you cross their threshold and consume their food. Arguing over price of an entree and it’s worth, really should be done after you actually seen the entree and consume it. Picture of food at any restaurant is just that, a picture of something you will never see on your plate.

Online menu is definitely a plus, we had no idea what restaurant was serving until we sat down. The prices are definitely lower than the first week of opening. Some menu items are less money, and now are offering 1/2 portions on one item. Two items have been added, but they may have just been sourced from vendors. We have never been to a soft restaurant opening that didn’t have some kinks to iron out.
I do wish they would have started with breakfast, then lunch, and dinner. Nothing like a really good breakfast place, to make you want to return for lunch.
Closed Thread

Tags
farmshed, area, restaurant, $20, side

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.