New Farmshed Restaurant in SS

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2021, 05:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
It sound like you do not like the villages
WRONG! I can not imagine living any other place. But, I can be unhappy that our Country Club was leveled because of poor upkeep and bad tenants.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
... I happen to wish we had a really good Indian buffet here, or even a small but very good Indian restaurant, and I know many of my friends agree, but maybe there aren’t enough of us. I’d also like a good Szechuan restaurant. I’d settle for a good Chinese buffet with chefs who know how to cook spicy dishes instead of the usual bland south Chinese food.
Namaste! agree! SPICE!
Old 05-21-2021, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,371 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
I think the menu looks promising, so I will try it soon, and if the food is excellent, I’ll go back now and then. Restaurants figure out their costs compared to what the market will bear. The new owners live here, and I wish them well. I’m sure they’ve done their homework, and they think they can make a go of it. You can go to Perkin’s or Denny’s a few blocks away and get what you want at the price you are willing to pay. However, the fried chicken meal comes with the chicken breaded, flash frozen, and sealed in a single-serving plastic envelope in some other state. That’s why it is cheap, always the same, and not all that good. Those restaurants use pre-packed frozen food wherever possible.

Fried chicken soaked, breaded, and made on the spot costs more and may taste better. (McCalls can do a chicken dinner made on premises for $11, somehow.) Rent for a restaurant property on the square is expensive. For that $16 burger, it may be that $3 goes to the property owner. At airports even more goes to the owner, which is why food is more expensive there.

I happen to think The Villages needs more high end restaurants with outstanding food that are not part of a chain. People drive here from Ocala to enjoy our town squares and dance. Why should we need to drive to Ocala to get a top-notch restaurant? I happen to wish we had a really good Indian buffet here, or even a small but very good Indian restaurant, and I know many of my friends agree, but maybe there aren’t enough of us. I’d also like a good Szechuan restaurant. I’d settle for a good Chinese buffet with chefs who know how to cook spicy dishes instead of the usual bland south Chinese food.
I miss chicken curry with papadam and REAL naan (not this "flatbread" crap they sell everywhere these days) and gulab jamun and kheer and tandoori chicken made in an actual clay tandoori oven....and vegetable samosas... and on the way out, a tiny spoon-full of fennel seeds that have some coated in pink or white sugar coating.

And yeah I'd love a decent Lobster Cantonese. I can't even find a place that makes a lousy one.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
So 14 posts, and only one post that has actually been in the restaurant (that would be us). Really don’t think it’s fair to judge an establishment unless you cross their threshold and consume their food. Arguing over price of an entree and it’s worth, really should be done after you actually seen the entree and consume it. Picture of food at any restaurant is just that, a picture of something you will never see on your plate.

Online menu is definitely a plus, we had no idea what restaurant was serving until we sat down. The prices are definitely lower than the first week of opening. Some menu items are less money, and now are offering 1/2 portions on one item. Two items have been added, but they may have just been sourced from vendors. We have never been to a soft restaurant opening that didn’t have some kinks to iron out.
I do wish they would have started with breakfast, then lunch, and dinner. Nothing like a really good breakfast place, to make you want to return for lunch.
Yay! I agree! Eat there first or your remarks aren’t worth diddly. It’s like bashing a mechanic that’s never worked on your car. They will adapt to market desires going forward. Give ‘em a chance. I wish them nothing but success!
Old 07-27-2021, 12:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaccallum View Post
Yay! I agree! Eat there first or your remarks aren’t worth diddly. It’s like bashing a mechanic that’s never worked on your car. They will adapt to market desires going forward. Give ‘em a chance. I wish them nothing but success!
Ok, so who has gone there and sampled the food, service and ambiance?
Old 07-27-2021, 02:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
Ok, so who has gone there and sampled the food, service and ambiance?
We have. Yes, it was higher priced. Yes, the food was great. Yes, the service was great. Yes, the atmosphere was great. Yes, the bar was great.

Yes, it was worth the higher price.

If you don't understand paying more for great, then simply don't go. To us, it is the best thing in the SS area, along with The Sharon.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well if the hamburger pictured is the one for $16, it looks like it may be worth it.

Farmshed American Diner
What picture? Not on website you posted. It’s really pricey.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
WRONG! I can not imagine living any other place. But, I can be unhappy that our Country Club was leveled because of poor upkeep and bad tenants.
Prior to the last tennent we visited at least once a week, when it started to fail we stopped so without the business of the locals it failed. We did not stop going, nor did we really see, poor upkeep. After the failure the property was offered to those that had proven track records in TV and they couldn't find a taker at the price TV wanted for the rental. I talked to one of family members and his bid was based on his knowledge of TV and what he believed would be the revenue required. He told us that even when it was successful, the revenue wasn't that great. My wife and I reflected that we could walk in anytime and it was never really crowded. So, maybe maintenance, maybe tennents and partially us.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-27-2021, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,421 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
What picture? Not on website you posted. It’s really pricey.
Try googling "farmshed american diner photos". 22 photos.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:31 AM

I normally can't eat hamburger meat so I would go for an expensive one rather than getting stomach aches and gas. Thanks for pointing the restaurant out to us.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
I don’t know where the new Farmshed Restaurant in Spanish Springs thought they were locating, but their prices are ridiculously high for that area. $16 for a hamburger when there are several places in the area MUCH cheaper. Fried chicken (thighs) $20. A side order of fries $6. And if the menu on their web site is complete, it is extremely limited. I hope they signed a short lease.
Thanks for the info. I looked on their menu and I did not think the prices were that high. Lots of goodies included with sandwiches. We are looking forward to going there, and are thankful for the opportunity to try their fare.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Thanks for the info. I looked on their menu and I did not think the prices were that high. Lots of goodies included with sandwiches. We are looking forward to going there, and are thankful for the opportunity to try their fare.
Farmshed must have figured that including the prices on their online menu was not good for bringing in new customers. Prices are no longer shown! While it’s a novel strategy, I doubt it will achieve its purpose. I suspect it may discourage people from trying it for the first time.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
Farmshed must have figured that including the prices on their online menu was not good for bringing in new customers. Prices are no longer shown! While it’s a novel strategy, I doubt it will achieve its purpose. I suspect it may discourage people from trying it for the first time.
Have you eaten there? How was it relative to what you paid?
Old 08-15-2021, 02:28 PM
Veteran member

Once and done for us for a variety of reasons.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Have you eaten there? How was it relative to what you paid?
I’m always eager to try new restaurants. Since we have tickets for the Sharon this week I thought it might be nice to try Farmshed. If not this week, we’ll probably go at some point to satisfy my curiosity but I was surprised to see a menu in TV without prices.

8/19. Four of us ate dinner tonight at Farmshed. We all enjoyed the experience. Service and food were excellent. The menu is somewhat limited, so it may be several months before we return. The white tablecloths and napkins are a nice touch and together with inflation and rent may explain the higher prices than we’re accustomed to. It was also encouraging to see people again enjoying the evening in Spanish Springs.

Last edited by REDCART; 08-19-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
farmshed, area, restaurant, $20, side

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.