New Irish Pub

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Gold member

Maybe this will ring a bell - what was originally in that building?

Sonny's.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

When I got done playing golf today I was real hungary and I thought we would try the place. My wife and I got there around 4pm, the parking lot was packed with about 30 cars, I was worried they might be too crowded.

When we got inside the place is much bigger than you would expect, about the size of Sonny's at LSL. The bar was packed like down at City Fire, it curves around the corner on the left when you're inside, probably 25 stools almost all taken. To the right is the dining room and then there is a patio outside, I saw mostly smokers out there. Fortunately it wasn't too crowded. I think most of the cars were the employees, they must of had 25 people on duty all wearing lime green shirts. We got a booth and I counted 15 TV's within the dining room. I almost didn't go because my Orioles were having their home opener on TV, I couldn't believe it when the TV right in front of me had the O's and Twins game on.

The inside reminded me of the Sonny's at LSL but not so dark, you could actually read the menu and see other people, I liked that it was well lit. It had much more atmosphere, reminded me of a sports bar up north but other than the TV's screens they didn't have a lot of memorabilia on the walls. We decided to get 20 wings and split them between my wife and me and then I got sweet tea. The tea was good size, tall but not a fat as those at Sonny's and was good but not great. I told the waitress we wanted wings that were like Buffalo Wings but not too hot. She said the medium were about right, not hot at all, maybe even we might try the hot.

The place began to fill up as we waited, probably a good 20 minutes for our wings. They were actually a little hotter than we liked, the taste was good but not great, I still prefer Sonny's wings. The waitress was nice but not very attentive, she stood at the end of the seating area and never asked if I needed more tea. I finally had to ask another waitress for more sweet tea, there must of been 20 servers running around the place, no joke. I guess they were training. When we were done she saw our napkins were filthy and said, when I ate ten wings the other day I must of needed 6 or 7 napkins, she never asked us if we needed more napkins, which we did. I guess you could say she seemed a little ditsy.

On the way to restroom I noticed the dining area had another room in the back with 4 or 5 booths that were not being used, maybe for parties or rental, I don't know. I will definitely go again but will try something else. One odd thing was when I pulled into the street at the red light a county cop was parked next to the entrance to the parking lot, I hope they're not going to be there all the time, could discourage some customers. The atmosphere was very hospitable and everyone was having a good time, and I don't see how the place is going to lack for business when they just opened Wednesday with no advertising and the place was packed at 5pm when we left.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 PM

My wife and I ate at O'Sheas today and it was excellent. We had a combination Quesidilla and something called Bangers in a Blanket. OMG that was wonderful!! We will go back and try more of the yummy sounding menu items. Also it was nice to see some of our favorite bartenders and servers from TV.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
They have a big advantage at O'Shea's. There are a lot of experienced servers & bartenders who have been around quite awhile & definitely know how to get the job done.
Bonny,

I understand that Mike who worked at Cody's and Evans plus others is involved with this new venture. Any info.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnj4983 View Post
My wife and I ate at O'Sheas today and it was excellent. We had a combination Quesidilla and something called Bangers in a Blanket. OMG that was wonderful!! We will go back and try more of the yummy sounding menu items. Also it was nice to see some of our favorite bartenders and servers from TV.
Bangers are a British sausage ... so it must be their "Irish" Pigs in a Blanket.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Sage

Bangers are typically eaten with mashed potatoes.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
Bangers are a British sausage ... so it must be their "Irish" Pigs in a Blanket.
Yes, it is made with Irish sausage which is leaner and less spicy (compared to American or Italian sausage) But the preparation is very different according to the menu. Jalepeno peppers and cheese are added, then its rolled in mashed potato and fried.

O'Shea's Pub
Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
I thought is was going to be a place called The Twisted Kilt?
Tilted Kilt is a chain that has lots of tvs large bar and the female wait staff wear hip level kilts about 12inches in length and low cut short tops....very loud .....food is ok....... but if sports is your game than its the place
Old 04-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Bonny,

I understand that Mike who worked at Cody's and Evans plus others is involved with this new venture. Any info.
Mikie is awesome & a lot of our favorite people that have been in the Villages for a long time are there ! It's definitely a class act !! A lot of experienced people are there. Please give it a try !!!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 AM
Gold member

From past posts there were a lot of negative comments about the manager at Cody's regarding "mistreatment" of employees. I hope he's not involved with O'Sheas.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 04-06-2013, 06:22 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
From past posts there were a lot of negative comments about the manager at Cody's regarding "mistreatment" of employees. I hope he's not involved with O'Sheas.

John
He is not involved in this at all.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 AM
Sage

Will definitely have to try O'Shea's when I return to TV next month. Thanks for the information about it.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 PM

Went for lunch yesterday and loved it. Saw old friend servers from TV and unexpectedly met friends there. Great place, packed for lunch. Go there, you will love it!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post

John
Some of the people that were mistreated at Cody's and other people from many other local restaurants are here. I don't think employees or customers will be mistreated.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Gold member

lunch yesterday -- burger and reuben/ burger with coleslaw = burger roll excellent (pretzel roll)- burger done the way we asked - slaw cut course not fine, but maybe some people like it that way (not me) = reuben good - could use more dressing but thats my opinion (not a big deal) = fries good what there was of them = freshly made from potatoes (not frozen I think) - a lot of ends not cut from chef potatoes (min of 3" dia) used a cheaper grade === waitress came to table at least 8 times to ask if everything was ok === over kill ????? overall would definitely return
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.