New Restaurant in Demshar's location

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2020, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
I knew DEMSHAR’s wasn’t going to reopen.
How did you know??
Old 10-11-2020, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Yeah , we are off put to terrible noise from mostly drunk patrons, lack of consistency and poor serve staff. Lighthouse r.I.p.

we too were disappointed enough times at The Lighthouse that we've never gone back
...all all the above reasons
Old 10-11-2020, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'd love to see real authentic Italian food. This means (among MANY other things):

preparing the sauce (aka gravy) from scratch, and never using jarred, canned, or restaurant-supply-store-packaged sauce.
using fresh herbs, or recently-dried herbs from a local garden or herb farm (dried oregano in a supply store plastic jar with a 2-year expiration date won't cut it).
using locally-produced mozzarella cheese, sliced rather than shredded.
preparing EVERYTHING right there in the kitchen, never using mixes or ready-to-cook pre-prepared meats and veggies from the restaurant supply house (or the chain-store's corporate warehouses)
Cutting veggies there, in the kitchen, never buying salads already made up and ready for dressing.

No foodie stuff. There would be no truffle oil anywhere in the building. Or Kombucha.

Parmesan cheese that doesn't come from a cardboard container. Same with romano.

Espresso made to order from an actual espresso machine, and the milk steamed and foamed with an actual milk steamer/foamer.

Whipped cream made at the store, not squirted from a can or dumped out of a cool-whip tub.

Cannoli shells made there, or brought in from a local italian pastry shop, and the cannoli cream made on site fresh every day.

Lots of stews, fish, eggplant.

FRESH-made pasta - made with an actual pasta machine on site.
Cannoli should be filled when the order is made......freshly filled Cannoli so the shell does not get soft.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:54 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Hope they do well.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
It was never called Augustino's.
The Villages Gourmet Club has the names of the 5 previous restaurants there.
LINK

Skip
This is from a different corner in SS. Not the restaurant space being discussed
Old 10-11-2020, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Boy are you right!

We received a gift of six frozen pizzas, direct from Naples, Italy. I didn’t think I’d like them because they didn’t have meat like American pizza. But both my wife and I have fallen in love with the “real thing”. The cheese is more flavorful, the tomatoes taste like fresh from the field, and the crusty crust better than any we’ve had here.

They’re not inexpensive but we liked them so much we ordered eight more (Talia di Napoli.com). They arrive in a week or so beautifully packaged with plenty of dry ice, ready to pop in the freezer.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:55 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Boy are you right!

We received a gift of six frozen pizzas, direct from Naples, Italy. I didn’t think I’d like them because they didn’t have meat like American pizza. But both my wife and I have fallen in love with the “real thing”. The cheese is more flavorful, the tomatoes taste like fresh from the field, and the crusty crust better than any we’ve had here.

They’re not inexpensive but we liked them so much we ordered eight more (Talia di Napoli.com). They arrive in a week or so beautifully packaged with plenty of dry ice, ready to pop in the freezer.
Thank you!!! Going to try this.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
When we arrived it was Louiginos? Or something along that name. Did Augustine's have New Orleans style food or some cajun dishes? We arrived in TV too late for them.
The New Orleans restaurant was Bourbon Street Restaurant and Music Hall. Closed in 2008. The stage was on the back wall adjacent to the alcove on Main Street. If memory serves me correctly they had open mike night on Monday's and the house band was led by Tom Oliver "The Bopper" from Cactus Jack and The Cadillacs.

Last edited by rustyp; 10-12-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
It was never called Augustino's.
The Villages Gourmet Club has the names of the 5 previous restaurants there.
LINK
Skip
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
This is from a different corner in SS. Not the restaurant space being discussed
I believe the list is correct.

Which corner is your "different corner?" What is there now?
Old 10-12-2020, 09:03 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

To Carl B.

The key to Italian cooking (southern Italy) is the red tomato sauce.
Italian American sauce often has sugar or something sweet like carrot or onion. Authentic Italian sauce has a very rich full flavor but is not sweet. My family is from Calabria (in the toe of the boot) & I try to replicate my grand mother’s cooking.
When i went to Italy i found that the mozzarella was not made from milk as it is in the US. Instead it was fresh goat milk and it was fabulous. So some ingredients are just not going to be the same and that can not be helped.
In general, restaurants & pizza parlors serve food they think everyone will eat & will not be too costly to prepare. Americans like a lot of salt & sugar & may be unfamiliar with Italian spices.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
I believe the list is correct.
The two original businesses were Augustine's Restaurant and Augie's Tap Room where the brewery was located. Who remembers Augie's Mug Club ?

Skip
Old 01-29-2021, 06:42 PM

Dishes prepared with authentic Italian ingredients and prepared like in Italy. That’s real Italian. Here in America, there are thousands of so called Italian traditions that are family history recipes. Each is different! “COOKING WITH NONNA.com “ is totally authentic. You can find it on line.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:02 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,757 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
This was just posted by The Daily Sun:
Residents will soon see a new dining option at Spanish Springs Town Square. Maureen and John McIntyre— owners of Lighthouse Point Bar & Grille in Lake Sumer Landing— have leased what was Demshar’s in Spanish Springs and will transform it into Augustine’s 1812 House, which will serve Italian food. They have a targeted opening time of mid-November. Read more in Saturday's Daily Sun.

Hmmmm...So what happened to Demshar's being made into apartments???
Bet in this kind of atmosphere that's not the only deal that has, or will, fall through !
Sadly it's probably happening everywhere. This planned opening my not materialize in the end, nothing would surprise me !
Old 01-29-2021, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Cannoli should be filled when the order is made......freshly filled Cannoli so the shell does not get soft.
So very true
Old 01-30-2021, 12:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Bet in this kind of atmosphere that's not the only deal that has, or will, fall through !
Sadly it's probably happening everywhere. This planned opening my not materialize in the end, nothing would surprise me !
Been open for a while now and the OP you quoted was written on Oct. 9th. last year.
Closed Thread

Tags
sun, springs, spanish, daily, demshars

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.