New Restaurant in Demshar's location

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2020, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I get confused. Can you or anyone else on here explain the difference to someone who originally comes from the lone prairie? What is it that makes authentic Italian dishes different?

OMG...where do I begin

The differences between Italian and Italian-American cooking can be described as harmony among the items in the dish versus abundance. Italian-American cooking uses far more garlic, tons more sauce, much more cheese and meat. Fewer vegetables are used.

In Italy dishes are not 'loaded' with sauce and the food is lighter...

chances are you'd never see chicken parm on a menu in Italy...nor would you see
spaghetti and meatballs as a main...(unless you were in a restaurant that catered to American's traveling abroad). You'd see dishes that are made with what is in season and locally available...and made that day, like stuffed squash blossoms or wild boar, or fish caught that day

a small dish of pasta usually is served before the main meal

In Italy every region has unique recipes based upon what is plentiful in their part of the country...so you're not going to find the same items all over Italy....you will find pretty much the same items in every Italian-American restaurant all over the USA

In the North there is more cream and butter in the dishes...on the coast, more dishes with fish...in Sicily you'll find a lot of raisins and pine nuts being used
Old 10-10-2020, 12:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I love Italian, and can’t wait! Also, am glad it’s not *another* hamburger joint.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Bologna in the north has wonderful food and restaurants.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:05 PM
Default Nailed It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
OMG...where do I begin

The differences between Italian and Italian-American cooking can be described as harmony among the items in the dish versus abundance. Italian-American cooking uses far more garlic, tons more sauce, much more cheese and meat. Fewer vegetables are used.

In Italy dishes are not 'loaded' with sauce and the food is lighter...

chances are you'd never see chicken parm on a menu in Italy...nor would you see
spaghetti and meatballs as a main...(unless you were in a restaurant that catered to American's traveling abroad). You'd see dishes that are made with what is in season and locally available...and made that day, like stuffed squash blossoms or wild boar, or fish caught that day

a small dish of pasta usually is served before the main meal

In Italy every region has unique recipes based upon what is plentiful in their part of the country...so you're not going to find the same items all over Italy....you will find pretty much the same items in every Italian-American restaurant all over the USA

In the North there is more cream and butter in the dishes...on the coast, more dishes with fish...in Sicily you'll find a lot of raisins and pine nuts being used
Great post! Grew up in Indiana and thought Chef Boyrdee was real Italian. Thankfully we spent over 20 years in the Air Force and traveled much of the world. We love the Northern Italian style and often make Cannelloni from the recipe we obtained from Ristorante Orsini in Grizzo, IT. It is a family favorite and is the farthest thing from fast food imaginable. No red gravy (sauce) in this recipe and nothing like it so far in ten years of looking around this area.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I get confused. Can you or anyone else on here explain the difference to someone who originally comes from the lone prairie? What is it that makes authentic Italian dishes different?
They use Classico, not Ragu!
Old 10-10-2020, 06:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
Apartments would be upstairs.

Rollie
Better hope that new restaurant downstairs is not cooking Indian food (which I love). The aromatics can be intense...
Old 10-10-2020, 08:07 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Pizza here: Cheese, more cheese, sauce, more sauce, tons of meat.

Pizza at Andreas in Amalfi, Italia: Fresh made mozzarella sliced thinly and laid on an olive oiled pizza round made with Italian double zero flour. A little salt and then a light spread of sauce made with fresh San Marzano tomatoes. Topped with a bit of fresh Prosciutto de Parma.

You think you know pizza? No way until you go to Italy.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Based on our experience in Italy two things come to mind.

Mozzarella typically made that day. Sauce has more of a tomato flavor
If they can come up with a sauce that doesn’t cause heartburn then I’m in.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:03 AM

Demshires was never deemed for apartments, it’s the upstairs of some of the buildings....smh
Glad they will have new occupants there now...
Old 10-11-2020, 05:06 AM

We love Indian as well
Old 10-11-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Just like pizza, stuff served here is nothing like what get in say Naples. Take a trip you’ll be amazed. Sauce here is nothing like my grandma made.
A close friend of mine when we lived in St. Louis was on a trip to Italy. He and his wife were at a fine restaurant and commented to the waiter how good the food was. The waiter accepted the compliment and then told him that part of the secret was good ingredients. For instance, the waiter said, the prosciutto ham was imported. My friend asked him, ‘imported from where”. The waiter replied, “From St. Louis, Missouri.”
Old 10-11-2020, 05:40 AM
Default Augustinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
When we arrived it was Louiginos? Or something along that name. Did Augustine's have New Orleans style food or some cajun dishes? We arrived in TV too late for them.
Augustinos was an Italian restaurant. There was a New Orleans style restaurant there after Auggies.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:01 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Hopefully, some good food.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
We love Indian as well������
Always found them a bit chewy when roasted!
Old 10-11-2020, 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=Carla B;1845416]I get confused. Can you or anyone else on here explain the difference to someone who originally comes from the lone prairie? What is it that makes authentic Italian dishes different?[/QUOTE
Salt, salt and more salt!]
Closed Thread

Tags
sun, springs, spanish, daily, demshars

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.