No more Happy Hour

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Gold member
Default No more Happy Hour

Went to Lighthouse tonight. They used to have Happy Hour prices from 3-6PM on wine from their menu. No more. Only house wines $4.00 all day. For me, house wines not so great, so I'll skip it.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:06 PM
Bosoxfan

Happy hours should be stopped.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
I agree. It should be all day long.

A keg 1/2 barrel of BUD / COORS/ Yuengling cost about $100/ about 2,000 oz That's 165 12 oz beers at $2,00 / beer pour that is $330. A nice a very nice profit margin, indeed.

That's not to mention the markup on well drink generic spirits,

So, yeah let's abolish all happy hours and make it reasonable to have a drink or two.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:49 PM

Happy hours are fine until you turn it into a competition. Common sense.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:50 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post

A keg 1/2 barrel of BUD / COORS/ Yuengling cost about $100/ about 2,000 oz That's 165 12 oz beers at $2,00 / beer pour that is $330. A nice a very nice profit margin, indeed.

So, yeah let's abolish all happy hours and make it reasonable to have a drink or two.
I used to work for the Coors Distributorship in Amarillo, TX. There are 1684 oz. to a keg, 1/2 of that to a pony keg, which are normally your home party kegs. Remember, too, most beers are drawn with a head on them, as well. Some bartenders will also waste a lot of beer by opening the tap and then putting the glass under it after it has already put some down the drain. We had our own lounge there and we all had to learn how to draw beer. You are right, though. It does have the best profit margin. We had one bar there that was draft beer only. He had formerly been one of our drivers and knew he could be very profitable if he did it that way. As the old saying goes when that happens, "He did a land office business!"

We had to learn about the beer business and would sometimes be tested in a staff meeting on what we learned. I remember one quiz in particular where you had to name the three enemies of beer. One guy couldn't remember so he put down "Bud, Schlitz, and Miller". Of course, everybody laughed when his answer was read. The boss looked at him and said, "Ben, if that's what you wrote, then I'm going to give you credit for that one!"
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."

Last edited by dillywho; 09-05-2017 at 12:52 AM. Reason: change
Old 09-05-2017, 04:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
I used to work for the Coors Distributorship in Amarillo, TX. There are 1684 oz. to a keg, 1/2 of that to a pony keg, which are normally your home party kegs. Remember, too, most beers are drawn with a head on them, as well. Some bartenders will also waste a lot of beer by opening the tap and then putting the glass under it after it has already put some down the drain. We had our own lounge there and we all had to learn how to draw beer. You are right, though. It does have the best profit margin. We had one bar there that was draft beer only. He had formerly been one of our drivers and knew he could be very profitable if he did it that way. As the old saying goes when that happens, "He did a land office business!"

We had to learn about the beer business and would sometimes be tested in a staff meeting on what we learned. I remember one quiz in particular where you had to name the three enemies of beer. One guy couldn't remember so he put down "Bud, Schlitz, and Miller". Of course, everybody laughed when his answer was read. The boss looked at him and said, "Ben, if that's what you wrote, then I'm going to give you credit for that one!"
I so remember when Coors was only distributed in certain areas. Now you have to google what craft beer is available in the area. Still Coors has a place in my heart
Old 09-05-2017, 04:54 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post

My best friend owned a number of restaurants and told me that he mainly made all of his profits over the bar.

In a newspaper article concerning wine, the author said if you may as well buy the bottle because if you paid for just a glass of wine you were still paying for the bottle.

My wife prefers to waste her calories on dessert rather than booze. I won't drink and drive, not an ounce so for us, its always water with lemon please
Old 09-05-2017, 07:13 AM
Veteran member

As a beverage consultant for 35 years, I always trained restaurant management that the first glass. 6oz should pay for the 24oz bottle. It appears that here in the villages that they use this pricing plan on their 1.5l, 48oz, bottles, usually Mondavi Woodbridge, Stella, or Barefoot, Big profit margin.

The heavy beer glasses, less prone to breakage, are usually of the pint size but only contain 14oz. So, quantity wise you usually get about 12oz of beer plus 2oz of a foamy head for you pint purchase. European pints are 20oz.

Well liquors generic shots of 1.5oz, 16 per bottle, are an even bigger profit maker, where the first drink or so usually pays for the bottle.

Last edited by SFSkol; 09-05-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Prohibition ended a few decades ago. It did not work out so well.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
Prohibition ended a few decades ago. It did not work out so well.
Unless you had nefarious inclinations.

How Prohibition backfired and gave America an era of gangsters and speakeasies | Film | The Guardian
Old 09-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I so remember when Coors was only distributed in certain areas. Now you have to google what craft beer is available in the area. Still Coors has a place in my heart
As a freshman in Boston, I had a housemate from Canon [sic] City, Colorado. Somehow (goodness only knows how), his father sent him a case of Coors. I still like it.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
You are so right. I remember it well. When I worked at the distributorship, it was only marketed in part of 11 states. Even though it was in the northern part of Texas, it was not in the southern part. Lots of 'Smokey and the Bandit' activity went on, human nature being what it is. People always want what they can't have, it seems.

We, as employees, got to go to the brewery in Golden, CO. We got the tour only for employees of distributorships. It was much more extensive than the public tours and took two days to complete. We got the privilege of meeting Mr. Coors, too. At that time, Coors was still 100% family owned. Mr. Coors went over every inch of that brewery every single day, even though he was very much up in age. He and Mrs. Coors had their house on the property. He would dress in his suit, hat, and overcoat. His office was very humble. It consisted of his old wood desk and chair, and little else. He always believed in paying for everything instead of using credit. Anyone who worked for him for five years had a job for the rest of their lives, if they wanted it. Anyone whose job was replaced by automation was moved to another position within the company. The company was also self-sufficient and made not only beer, but the ashtrays with the Coors logo,etc., even nose cones for the early day space rockets. Since the initial process for beer is the malting, during prohibition Coors was the number one producer of malt for milkshakes. After prohibition ended, they were back in the beer business. Once his kids took over after his death, the company went public on the exchange and nationwide.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 09-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Platinum member

In those days, Coors was not pasteurized and had to be distributed in refrigerated trucks/trains. That's why it had limited distribution (only west of the Mississippi).

We would bring back 6-packs in our luggage, but after the beer warmed up and was refrigerated again, it didn't taste the same.

Skip
Old 09-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Coors was the only beer we ever drank in our fraternity house at UNM in the early '60's.

When I moved to the D.C. area in 1965 I had to "import" it by hand.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-06-2017, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
Went to Lighthouse tonight. They used to have Happy Hour prices from 3-6PM on wine from their menu. No more. Only house wines $4.00 all day. For me, house wines not so great, so I'll skip it.
Well, let's all pack up and move (); not a big deal for those of us that don't drink anyway. Happy hour is probably a contributing factor to the DUI problems some people seem to have here.

Tags
house, wines, happy, hour, great

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.