Not your normal restaurant rant

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Gold member
Default Not your normal restaurant rant

Decided to take advantage of a 15% Military Discount and went to Outback for lunch. Asked for a table because I'm a big ole boy and booths and I don't get along. Was promptly seated with my back to the rest of the customers...I later found out there were five tables of customers already seated. Once we were seated, I noticed that someone was talking pretty loud. I thought to myself, "Someone's talking pretty loud." The loud talker continued and the context piqued my interest, so I turned around to find that we had been seated next to a sales pitch for cremation...complete with visual aids. We were the only non-prospects in the room. We got up, told the host that we wouldn't be dining with them today due to the circumstances. He apologized and said that area was the only one with tables.

Off we go to Longhorn.

Again, we were seated promptly, and again I heard a loud talking customer. This one said that he had a comment to make. This guy was talking to our waiter, who looked over at me and non-verbally indicated that he would be with us as soon as possible. The customer proceeded to spend nearly three minutes telling the waiter that the description for the Seven Pepper Sirloin Salad was "boring" and gave him tips on how to enhance the presentation. He compared the description of that salad to the one for the Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Salad and said that the strawberries, grapes, mandarin oranges, and feta cheese painted a picture that was appealing while the description of the Seven Pepper Sirloin Salad only mentioned the steak, diced tomatoes, and crumbled bleu cheese on top of hand-chopped greens. The waiter listened politely and responded that both descriptions accurately portrayed the two salads.

The poor waiter finally escaped to take our order. When he asked if we were ready to order, I responded in a loud enough voice to be heard by the salad critic, that yes, I was ready to order but that I had no comments and would that be OK. He snickered but Salad Critic Guy pretended not to hear me. Lunch was nice, but I did have to tell the waiter that my iced tea was boring.

While we were dining a guy and a gal wearing bad ass biker costumes came in and sat at the bar. I was shocked when the guy dressed up as a biker got a cell phone call and actually went outside to take it.

After lunch we went over to Verizon. I offered to take the wife home first, but she foolishly decided to go with me and.....that's another story.

I am not really ranting. I am a people watcher, and actually love these kinds of experiences. They are interesting and entertaining.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
Decided to take advantage of a 15% Military Discount and went to Outback for lunch. Asked for a table because I'm a big ole boy and booths and I don't get along. Was promptly seated with my back to the rest of the customers...I later found out there were five table of customers already seated. Once we were seated, I noticed that someone was talking pretty loud. I thought to myself, "Someone's talking pretty loud." The loud talker continued and the context piqued my interest, so I turned around to find that we had been seated next to a sales pitch for cremation...complete with visual aids. We were the only non-prospects in the room. We got up, told the host that we wouldn't be dining with them today due to the circumstances. He apologized and said that area was the only one with tables.

Off we go to Longhorn.

Again, we were seated promptly, and again I heard a loud talking customer. This one said that he had a comment to make. This guy was talking to our waiter, who looked over at me and non-verbally indicated that he would be with us as soon as possible. The customer proceeded to spend nearly three minutes telling the waiter that the description for the Seven Pepper Sirloin Salad was "boring" and gave him tips on how to enhance the presentation. He compared the description of that salad to the one for the Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Salad and said that the strawberries, grapes, mandarin oranges, and feta cheese painted a picture that was appealing while the description of the Seven Pepper Sirloin Salad only mentioned the steak, diced tomatoes, and crumbled bleu cheese on top of hand-chopped greens. The waiter listened politely and responded that both descriptions accurately portrayed the two salads.

The poor waiter finally escaped to take our order. When he asked if we were ready to order, I responded in a loud enough voice to be heard by the salad critic, that yes, I was ready to order but that I had no comments and would that be OK. He snickered but Salad Critic Guy pretended not to hear me. Lunch was nice, but I did have to tell the waiter that my iced tea was boring.

After lunch we went over to Verizon. I offered to take the wife home first, but she foolishly decided to go with me and.....that's another story.

I am not really ranting. I am a people watcher, and actually love these kinds of experiences. They are interesting and entertaining.

ME TOO VC and THAT is the reason I LOVE this forum.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Interesting stories for sure you gave me my chuckle for the day, thank you!!!!
Old 05-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Sage

I realize that some people like myself need to wear hearing aides and some are hard of hearing but..................

I sometimes wonder why some people are talking so loud to people seated next to them, as if they are on another planet, but that's me.

I'm sure someone will correct me but it's a pet peeve, as it is, annoying.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-08-2015, 05:19 PM

I can only imagine how trapped the waiter felt with the salad critic. Some people just like to hear themselves talk. Irregardless of how dumb they may sound.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachx4me View Post
I can only imagine how trapped the waiter felt with the salad critic. Some people just like to hear themselves talk. Irregardless of how dumb they may sound.

Yup. Happens all the time on this forum. I do it often.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Sage
Default Not your normal restaurant rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachx4me View Post
...Some people just like to hear themselves talk. Irregardless of how dumb they may sound.
:^0 Stifle. Stifle. Stifle!
Old 07-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Yup. Happens all the time on this forum. I do it often.
Why yes, yes you do !!!!!
Old 07-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the post. Enjoyed your stories….well to some degree. The Salad Critic types rubs me the wrong way. The self important know when they have a captive audience and would be indignant if not given the "proper respect". My hat is off to you for sticking up for the server
Old 07-08-2015, 10:03 PM

To OP: Thank you for the chuckle. You're a great example of what makes life better....a tremendous sense of humor. I'm going to try to keep up with you!
Old 07-09-2015, 06:13 AM
Gold member

"While we were dining a guy and a gal wearing bad ass biker costumes came in and sat at the bar. I was shocked when the guy dressed up as a biker got a cell phone call and actually went outside to take it."

attire doesn't make the man
Sorry --I don't know how to capture part of the post so I just copied and pasted
Old 07-09-2015, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
Decided to take advantage of a 15% Military Discount and went to Outback for lunch. Asked for a table because I'm a big ole boy and booths and I don't get along. Was promptly seated with my back to the rest of the customers...I later found out there were five tables of customers already seated. Once we were seated, I noticed that someone was talking pretty loud. I thought to myself, "Someone's talking pretty loud." The loud talker continued and the context piqued my interest, so I turned around to find that we had been seated next to a sales pitch for cremation...complete with visual aids. We were the only non-prospects in the room. We got up, told the host that we wouldn't be dining with them today due to the circumstances. He apologized and said that area was the only one with tables.

Off we go to Longhorn.

While we were dining a guy and a gal wearing bad ass biker costumes came in and sat at the bar. I was shocked when the guy dressed up as a biker got a cell phone call and actually went outside to take it.

Great Post VG! The Villages has a high population of people who like to hear themselves give unnecessary advice; as in the "empty vessel makes the most noise".

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 AM
Gold member

I don't loud people in restaurants especially the ones who laugh really loud. Thankfully I wear two hearing aids with a volume control.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Gold member

Fun hearing other's experiences! Thanks for sharing!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.