Is it okay to leave a tip (money) on the table?

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Your garden hose water is exactly the same as water inside your house. The sprinkler water is recycled water
Ah but the question was is water from the garden hose going to kill you perhaps even more quickly than touching a dollar bill.

Harmful Chemicals: Is Your Garden Hose Toxic? | TIME.com
Old 03-15-2015, 11:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Hey, Bare.
I'll take all the dirty mopney I can lay my hands on
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Please send all your filthy money to me!!!
Sorry NYGUY, I already sent all my dirty US dollars to Bonanza.

Last edited by Barefoot; 03-15-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Or the germs on the money could replace this.......(from an earlier post)

"What about short chain fatty acids? Short chain fatty acids are said to be good for your colon. I'm not worried about this because it's synthesized by intestinal bacteria from dietary fiber. (A vegan diet provides lots of fiber.)"
Old 03-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Because salmonella is not everywhere?

Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question.
So your point is that salmonella can't be on a dollar bill?
Old 03-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowe View Post
Apart from requiring everyone everywhere to wear HazMat type outfits, what does the OP propose to solve or mitigate this supposed problem?
I'm not proposing anything, just opening this up for discussion. I remember letters (to the editor of the Daily Sun) with complaints about people in restaurants wearing hats and/or putting their hats on the table. They said a hat on the table where people are going to eat is disgusting.

I also remember complaints about dogs being allowed at outside restaurant tables. They claimed it wasn't sanitary.

So that made me wonder what the reaction would be to money on the table.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I always make it a point not to put my spoon, fork, knife on the table, but on a napkin. Usually after each customer they wipe off the table and seat with the same rag which is used who knows where else. I'm not a germ freak and realize that some exposure is a good thing, but just have a thing about putting my fork on that table that just wiped off the seats. The rags are probably used all day and without disinfectant.
I do the same thing because I assume the napkin represents a safety zone. But the napkin is handled by two different people before it gets to the table. One person wraps up the utensils and then the waiter picks it up and delivers it to the table (after handling money).
Old 03-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Since most people use Visa or Debit cards, I don't think dirty money is a big problem for most of us.

Do you tip the waiter with Visa or debit card?

Quote:
But it might be a good idea for a new restaurant for germaphobics - a restaurant where everyone wears HazMat suits and everything is sterilized multiple times.
What about people who have a compromised immune system? I know people in The Villages who have received organ transplants and are taking anti-rejection drugs. People with artificial joints sometimes take antibiotics when they go to the dentist. Some people might be receiving chemotherapy.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Be interesting to find out what gunk is on credit cards. I know they did a study on cell phones and found a public toilet was cleaner. If you're really that worried about bacteria and the like suggest you invest in a hazmat suit. It really is the only way of guaranteeing a sterile environment. Sorry, there are far more important things to worry about in this world.
I don't worry about it any more than anyone else. I just thought it would be interesting to see what the reactions would be. For example, how would most people react to (non-barking) dogs being allowed in restaurants? What might the objection be? Hmmm?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The20Percent View Post
Years ago we were traveling in a motorhome. We hooked up our water as usual with a waterhose from our RV to the campgrounds water supply. The water tasted funny for the next couple of days. It wasen't until we went to disconnect the waterhose that we looked inside the hose and saw one half of a lizard dangling inside it!
Ha! That's a funny story. I can relate to drinking from a water hose.

When I first moved to Florida, I came to the state in a small Scotty travel trailer. I owned land in central Florida that didn't have any utilities. After I parked the trailer, a neighbor offered to hook me up to his water-well with a water hose, so I accepted. It was quite a distance (crossing a road) and I often wondered about the quality of the water. But there are times when one cannot be fussy.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Your garden hose water is exactly the same as water inside your house. The sprinkler water is recycled water
All the water on earth has been recycled over the past 3.5 billion years, since the very beginning when fossil bacteria covered the earth. Imagine all the waste products from animals and humans over those many years.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Please send all your filthy money to me!!!..
My money isn't filthy; it's just other people's money that's filthy.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Ah but the question was is water from the garden hose going to kill you perhaps even more quickly than touching a dollar bill.

Harmful Chemicals: Is Your Garden Hose Toxic? | TIME.com
Holy cow! I never would have guessed it could be that bad. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Do you tip the waiter with Visa or debit card?

What about people who have a compromised immune system? I know people in The Villages who have received organ transplants and are taking anti-rejection drugs. People with artificial joints sometimes take antibiotics when they go to the dentist. Some people might be receiving chemotherapy.
If everyone, including the wait staff is wearing a hazmat suit, it shouldn't be an issue. They will never come in contact with the money left for the tip.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
If everyone, including the wait staff is wearing a hazmat suit, it shouldn't be an issue. They will never come in contact with the money left for the tip.
But the suit will be contaminated.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
But the suit will be contaminated.
Yes, but you won't touch the contaminated part which is the outside of the suit.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.