Is it okay to leave a tip (money) on the table?

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Good point! I read an article saying keyboards on public computers are hugely infested with bacteria. I avoid them!
How about keyboards on public computers at the Library?

Last edited by Barefoot; 03-17-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
When you go grocery shopping, do you use the hand-sanitizer to wipe down the handle on the grocery cart? (I see a lot of people do that but I think it's a bad idea.)

Why would this be a bad idea in your opinion?
Old 03-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
It just gets better.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
How about keyboards on public computers at the Library?
It's been said that the most dirty thing in your motel/hotel room is the remote for the TV....think about this one.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Really? This is a question and a discussion? People have left money on tables in restaurants for over 100 years and I don't recall anyone ever getting sick from it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Really? This is a question and a discussion? People have left money on tables in restaurants for over 100 years and I don't recall anyone ever getting sick from it.
Do we just have too much time on our hands that we sit around and think up this stuff?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Do we just have too much time on our hands that we sit around and think up this stuff?
Well, somebody does since it was in a syndicated newspaper column and also on fox news.

Don't ruin the fun!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Wanda, just for you, I finally decided to try to find a link to the study. Here it is; enjoy!

Researchers find thousands of bacteria living on cash | Fox News
Good Lord, I am surprised bank tellers are not keeling over by the thousands.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Sage

When I was little, if food fell down or was dirty, you would just "Kiss it up to God". I forgot about that until now. Do you think all those germs I picked up back then are helping me now?

God sure had a lot more to do in the 50's and 60's in my neighborhood.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Why do I think hand sanitizers are a bad idea? First of all, they may be appropriate in certain limited situations where ordinary soap & water is not available , but I haven't totally made up my mind on that.

I think the regular use of hand sanitizers at home or while shopping can be a bad idea for the same reason that the overuse of antibiotics is a bad idea. The sanitizing chemicals indiscriminately kill both the good and bad bacteria at the same time and we need the good bacteria for healthy skin and for a healthy immune system. Also, bad forms of bacteria may develop resistance to the chemicals and then multiply as "superbugs".

For more information, here's a link:

Hand Sanitizers: Good or Bad? - The Holistic Mama
Old 03-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Sage

I don't use hand sanitizers at home for those exact reasons. However, if there's no disinfectant to wipe down the shopping cart handle with, I will use a sanitizer while grocery shopping. Too many people handling the carts.

My friend, whose profession dictated that she visit some very filthy, insect-infested homes in order to do evaluations of children at risk of learning disabilities, used it all the time during work, with good reason. I figured with my limited use we came out even.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:45 AM
Sage
Default Is it okay to leave a tip (money) on the table?

Quote:
Why do I think hand sanitizers are a bad idea? First of all, they may be appropriate in certain limited situations where ordinary soap & water is not available , but I haven't totally made up my mind on that.

I think the regular use of hand sanitizers at home or while shopping can be a bad idea for the same reason that the overuse of antibiotics is a bad idea. The sanitizing chemicals indiscriminately kill both the good and bad bacteria at the same time and we need the good bacteria for healthy skin and for a healthy immune system. Also, bad forms of bacteria may develop resistance to the chemicals and then multiply as "superbugs".

For more information, here's a link:

Hand Sanitizers: Good or Bad? - The Holistic Mama
I would agree with you IF the sanitizer included an antibiotic. That would be bad for the same reason that soaps with antibiotics are bad - as you note. However,most sanitizers use a high alcohol base (I think 70+%) as the sanitizer's primary method of dealing with germs. Alcohol based sanitizers should not create any resistance in bacteria. What one must be careful of is to select a sanitizer with a high enough alcohol content, otherwise all you are doing is sloshing the bacteria around on your hands without any cleansing occurring.

I use antibiotic free soaps when possible, and keep sanitizer in our cars, golf cart & and places where soap is generally unavailable.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
Good Lord, I am surprised bank tellers are not keeling over by the thousands.
Come to think of it, the last time I walked into my local bank, I didn't see any of the regular tellers that were there before. Hmmm!

But, seriously, I think the tellers will be just fine as long as they don't lick their fingers before counting the money.

The letter that was sent to Annie's Mailbox came from a woman who complained that her college educated husband had the habit of licking his fingers to count money. That's why Annie came up with the study, she wanted to prove a point to the finger-licking husband.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Come to think of it, the last time I walked into my local bank, I didn't see any of the regular tellers that were there before. Hmmm!

But, seriously, I think the tellers will be just fine as long as they don't lick their fingers before counting the money.

The letter that was sent to Annie's Mailbox came from a woman who complained that her college educated husband had the habit of licking his fingers to count money. That's why Annie came up with the study, she wanted to prove a point to the finger-licking husband.
Now that's a bad habit.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Alcohol based sanitizers should not create any resistance in bacteria.
Can you provide a link to a study to back that up?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.