Is it okay to leave a tip (money) on the table?

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Sage
Default Is it okay to leave a tip (money) on the table?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Can you provide a link to a study to back that up?
Here is a link to a WHO site that states alcohol based products do not cause resistance in bacteria. and in the long run the use of alcohol based sanitizers helps reduce the spread of resistant bacteria.
http://www.who.int/gpsc/tools/faqs/abhr2/en/
Old 03-18-2015, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
Good Lord, I am surprised bank tellers are not keeling over by the thousands.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
How does anyone ever know where the last person has had his hands before he touched the keyboard of the computer at the Library?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Good point! I read an article saying keyboards on public computers are hugely infested with bacteria. I avoid them!
Quote:
How about keyboards on public computers at the Library?
Hey Villages PL - How about computer keyboards at Libraries? Do you wipe the keys with sanitizer?

Last edited by Barefoot; 03-18-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Sage
Default Is it okay to leave a tip (money) on the table?

Quote:
Do I really have to? Oops, did you mean that for someone else.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Not a study but a very interesting article:

HAZMAT teams collect messy money from Lake City bank | News - Home

From now on I am wiping down my debit card with an alcohol laced sanitized disposable something before I hand it to the waiter and after I get it back. No more disgusting money for me.

Who am I kidding? I have been known to eat an apple without washing it.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 03-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
I have been known to eat an apple without washing it.
Hey Wanda, I know some people that actually wash bananas after they peel them.

If confessions are in order, I've been know to pat my dog and then shake hands with someone.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Hey Wanda, I know some people that actually wash bananas after they peel them.

If confessions are in order, I've been know to pat my dog and then shake hands with someone.
Oh no... I always wash my hands after shaking before petting my dog!
Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Here is a link to a WHO site that states alcohol based products do not cause resistance in bacteria. and in the long run the use of alcohol based sanitizers helps reduce the spread of resistant bacteria.
http://www.who.int/gpsc/tools/faqs/abhr2/en/
VPL - if you've had a chance to review the website information I'd be interested in your comments. Did this change your opinion about alcohol based hand sanitizers?
Old 03-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
VPL - if you've had a chance to review the website information I'd be interested in your comments. Did this change your opinion about alcohol based hand sanitizers?
It changed mine! Thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Hey Villages PL - How about computer keyboards at Libraries? Do you wipe the keys with sanitizer?
Do you kiss your dog?
Old 03-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
I did review it and it did change my opinion. After double checking (Ask MetaFilter - Bacteria resistance) I'm reasonably satisfied that alcohol-based sanitizers won't contribute to resistance.

But, personally, I won't use hand sanitizers because it doesn't satisfy my requirements. I won't wash my hands with an alcohol based sanitizer anymore than I would gargle with an alcohol based mouth wash. It kills both good and bad bacteria indiscriminately.

Also, I don't think it's good for the skin and may promote skin cancer.

And the biggest reason is that I don't need hand sanitizers. Whether at home, supermarket, or restaurant, there's usually a restroom with soap and water available. And most of the time soap isn't even needed, say the experts.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
I did review it and it did change my opinion. After double checking (Ask MetaFilter - Bacteria resistance) I'm reasonably satisfied that alcohol-based sanitizers won't contribute to resistance.

But, personally, I won't use hand sanitizers because it doesn't satisfy my requirements. I won't wash my hands with an alcohol based sanitizer anymore than I would gargle with an alcohol based mouth wash. It kills both good and bad bacteria indiscriminately.

Also, I don't think it's good for the skin and may promote skin cancer.

And the biggest reason is that I don't need hand sanitizers. Whether at home, supermarket, or restaurant, there's usually a restroom with soap and water available. And most of the time soap isn't even needed, say the experts.
I appreciate your opinion but disagree with you on several fronts. I've not ever heard about sanitizers being linked to cancer. And the soap in many public restrooms contains an anti-bacterial agent. Not sure at all that I concur with washing hands with water only. any links to support that?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
I appreciate your opinion but disagree with you on several fronts. I've not ever heard about sanitizers being linked to cancer.
Do you have to hear about something first in order to exercise caution? Even if it doesn't promote cancer, I don't want to treat my skin that way. Our skin contains natural oils and good bacteria for a protective purpose.
(Over how many decades did the medical community say that a person's appendix served no purpose? Because they never heard of it serving a purpose.)
Quote:
And the soap in many public restrooms contains an anti-bacterial agent.
Good to know, so it's a good thing I almost never use public restroom soap.

Quote:
Not sure at all that I concur with washing hands with water only. any links to support that?
I believe I read that in a recent book, "Missing Microbes" by Martin J. Blaser M.D.

Obviously, if your hands are soiled for whatever reason or you are going to be handling/preparing food, it's a good idea to use soap and water. Otherwise, most of the time there's no need for soap.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Do you have to hear about something first in order to exercise caution? Even if it doesn't promote cancer, I don't want to treat my skin that way. Our skin contains natural oils and good bacteria for a protective purpose.
(Over how many decades did the medical community say that a person's appendix served no purpose? Because they never heard of it serving a purpose.)

Good to know, so it's a good thing I almost never use public restroom soap.

I believe I read that in a recent book, "Missing Microbes" by Martin J. Blaser M.D.

Obviously, if your hands are soiled for whatever reason or you are going to be handling/preparing food, it's a good idea to use soap and water. Otherwise, most of the time there's no need for soap.
Thanks for your comments. I completely disagree with your last comment, but understand your opinion on the first.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Do you kiss your dog?
Why don't you answer her question instead of changing the subject? It would seem that your reluctance to buy your own computer trumps your concern about germs on public keyboards. This doesn't seem to square with your overall concern about germs.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.