Opinions on tipping

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2018, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Dave. ....! THAT ISN'T HOW IT WORKS HERE.
That doesn't mean we have a better system, or that it shouldn't change.

In many countries, serving is a profession. They are paid well, they have longevity in their profession, and they build a rapport with their customers. It's a full-time job.

Young people who are trying to supplement their college expenses or serve while trying to break into another profession, like acting, go do other things.

The customer wins.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:37 PM
Sage

15-20 is fine, if I pay by credit card I always do the tip in cash.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave042 View Post
Having lived and worked overseas most my life, I really don't like to US system of dining and tipping. This passes part of the servers' wages to the customer's responsibility. I'm not comfortable supplementing employees pay who don't work for me. The restaurant should pay a living wage to the servers and if the service was good or exceptional then tip $1 or $2. This is what is done all over the world. The server would be happy, the employees would be happy, and the customers would be happy.

You are correct in this and it works quite well. I also don’t like the system here and feel it is not good for anyone. I would rather the staff paid a decent wage and pay the difference in the meal. It makes more sense for everybody. If the wait staff is excellent that an additional dollar or two tip is earned for doing a good job. Paying staff almost slave wages then ridiculing or ‘expecting’ diverse people to tip? And tip is not even the correct word is full of major faults. How it ever caught on and keeps going is mind boggling, so many things that mess it up beyond the obvious ones. I think the system around the world mentioned by you is far, better in every way.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by It’s..us View Post

You are correct in this and it works quite well. I also don’t like the system here and feel it is not good for anyone. I would rather the staff paid a decent wage and pay the difference in the meal. It makes more sense for everybody. If the wait staff is excellent that an additional dollar or two tip is earned for doing a good job. Paying staff almost slave wages then ridiculing or ‘expecting’ diverse people to tip? And tip is not even the correct word is full of major faults. How it ever caught on and keeps going is mind boggling, so many things that mess it up beyond the obvious ones. I think the system around the world mentioned by you is far, better in every way.
Not every way we do something is the best way. And nothing says certain things can't be changed.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:38 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
In the 60's, gas was .25 and movies were about .50 so what's your point. Costs on everything have gone up since we were young including tipping.
15% of X amount is still 15%. The percentage takes into account the difference in cost between to 60s and now.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-20-2018, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyS View Post
In my opinion the whole tipping system is flawed.

If I order a steak that costs $20 and tip 20% = $4.00. Tomorrow I go to the same restaurant and receive the exact same service but order a $30 steak why should the tip be $6.00?

Let the bashing commence
Agree 100%. That is why I tend to under tip in expensive restaurants and over tip at the Waffle House.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-20-2018, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

One should tip on the total bill less tax. Total bill includes coupons and drink specials discounts added . 20% for good service.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think the biggest difference between wise and smart is that one is more realistic than the other. We cannot fix everything and we cannot have everything we want. We were not born equal, but we were all born valuable. People who work, can work, and can choose to not take public assistance are good people, valuable people, people who if they live on tips, need us to value them by tipping fairly.

Right now, we have tipping. So tip kindly and fairly. Honor those who stand on their feet all day to serve us.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-21-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Sage

I don’t tip, my wife does, so she does all the tipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 09:52 PM
Platinum member
Talking Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyS View Post
In my opinion the whole tipping system is flawed.

If I order a steak that costs $20 and tip 20% = $4.00. Tomorrow I go to the same restaurant and receive the exact same service but order a $30 steak why should the tip be $6.00?

Let the bashing commence
By that logic, if the restaurant has a $10 steak on the menu, you could tip $2.00 when you order the $30 steak.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 PM

Most restaurants that raised their wages and stopped tipping, went back to tipping. The biggest chain that tried it (Joe's Crab Shack) went back to tipping within three months.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:13 PM
Platinum member
Smile My View

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave042 View Post
Having lived and worked overseas most my life, I really don't like to US system of dining and tipping. This passes part of the servers' wages to the customer's responsibility. I'm not comfortable supplementing employees pay who don't work for me. The restaurant should pay a living wage to the servers and if the service was good or exceptional then tip $1 or $2. This is what is done all over the world. The server would be happy, the employees would be happy, and the customers would be happy.
Two observations.

1. Europe has a more stratified society than we do. Food servers are unlikely to aspire to a higher level on the social scale than the position they hold. The pay is adequate and their job is secure, so they are content. Many Americans are engaged in food service to support their aspirations to move up in education, employment, income and social status.

Barbara's granddaughter worked in food service while working her way through Texas State University. Now, only three years out of college, she holds a management position in a construction company where she makes $75,000 a year. I assure you that she tips well when she dines out.

2. Restaurants operate on a thin profit margin. If they paid their food servers "a living wage" then they would have to increase the menu prices of their meals considerably. You would end up paying as much or more than you now pay for meal plus tip, so just relax and go along with our tipping custom.

Incidentally, unless the service is noticeably sub-par, I routinely tip 20% on the meal cost, not including tax. For service that is much less than what is expected, I still tip 10%. There may be reasons for the poor service that I am not aware of, and I consider 10% a gift to a person in distress.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:41 PM
Platinum member
Smile Different view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Agree 100%. That is why I tend to under tip in expensive restaurants and over tip at the Waffle House.
I have a different view, based in part on having eaten in some of the finest and most expensive restaurants in New Orleans' French Quarter, and in Cajun BBQ shacks out in the Bayous.

In the restaurants in the Quarter, you have real silverware and crystal on white tablecloths with subdued lighting and candles on the tables. You are attended by multiple service staff attending to everything from keeping your water glass filled to using an electrostatic comb to clean up the flakes of French Bread that fall on the tablecloth when you break the bread. The service staff is impeccably attired, varying according to their duties, and they speak softly and politely. There is a quite, peaceful ambiance.

The meal comes in courses, which are spaced out to provide a comfortable pace for eating, and you are never rushed into ending one course to begin the next. This encourages relaxed conversation among the diners and a general feeling of contentment. By the time you finish your after dinner coffee or drink, you may find that two hours have passed.

In contrast, at the Cajun BBQ shack you are seated at large wooden outdoor-style picnic tables, your order is taken, and the entire order comes to your table at once. You tend to eat quickly, and if you linger too long, your server will start clearing away your plates, bring your check, and stand at your elbow waiting for you to pay. You are expected to finish up in 30 to 40 minutes.

NOW, if you occupy a table at the expensive restaurant for an extended period of time, you are depriving the server(s) of an opportunity to get another diner at that table, and another tip. How terribly thoughtless of you!

The solution is not to "gobble and get" as you would in the Cajun shack, but rather to pay a larger tip for the extended use of the table. Think of it as a fee that you are paying for the additional amenities that enhance the ambiance of the dinner.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Two observations.

1. Europe has a more stratified society than we do. Food servers are unlikely to aspire to a higher level on the social scale than the position they hold. The pay is adequate and their job is secure, so they are content. Many Americans are engaged in food service to support their aspirations to move up in education, employment, income and social status.

Barbara's granddaughter worked in food service while working her way through Texas State University. Now, only three years out of college, she holds a management position in a construction company where she makes $75,000 a year. I assure you that she tips well when she dines out.

2. Restaurants operate on a thin profit margin. If they paid their food servers "a living wage" then they would have to increase the menu prices of their meals considerably. You would end up paying as much or more than you now pay for meal plus tip, so just relax and go along with our tipping custom.

Incidentally, unless the service is noticeably sub-par, I routinely tip 20% on the meal cost, not including tax. For service that is much less than what is expected, I still tip 10%. There may be reasons for the poor service that I am not aware of, and I consider 10% a gift to a person in distress.
This is not correct. Right next door in Canada, wait staff are paid $15 an hour at minimum and eating out was more often than not less than here. BTW, most still give 15% tip to them but it is a tip in the true sense....bad service, no tip.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralouwho View Post
My granddaughter is a server and has mentioned to me several times that many dont tip appropriately. By appropriately I mean 18% -20% for good service. I'm aware that money doesn't grow on trees and eating out can be expensive but servers are people too and have bills to pay. Many severs have the job they do because it's flexible and allows them to pursue other opportunities. If you don't value them as people or the job they have chosen, then why do you go out? And what constitutes good or poor service to you?
Just in case you don't have enough information on tipping, here are two other threads with 109 posts.
Suggested Gratuities error on restaurant bill
Tipping?

Tags
people, good, appropriately, service, job

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.