The Original Goombas

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2018, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts
Default The Original Goombas

Anyone try this restaurant in Clermont? When we were down for 3 weeks in September, we went there a couple of times. It is a bit of a drive, but well worth it for great Italian food at a reasonable price.

I was just looking over their reviews to see how they have been doing since we left to come back north. It appears they are going strong - lots of 5 star reviews. For all you pizza lovers, one reviewer originally from Chicago raved about the pizza, which I understand is a crowd that is hard to please where pizza is concerned.

The groups we went with ordered various dinners from the menu. All were superb! The chef, Frank, is well known in the Clermont area and definitely aims to please. Beer and wine are available as well.

Oh, one more thing - it is owned by Villagers and they give 10% off with Villages ID. Here is their Facebook page -

The Original Goombas - Home - Clermont, Florida - Menu, Prices, Restaurant Reviews | Facebook
Old 01-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

It always best to give a good location when describing an out-of-town establishment. I know Clermont pretty well and don't remember this place. After looking on Google images I was able to narrow it down to the JC Penny Shopping Center in the small strip center on the side. Just past World of Beer is a small center and it's next to Game Stop. Out on the Highway is Texas Road House, Olive Garden and Red Lobster, turn in off Hwy 27 anywhere into that shopping center and head to the right, Goombas is very near the Epix Movie Theaters. The easiest way to Clermont is the Florida Turnpike to the Clermont exit Hwy 27 just north of Lake Ridge Winery or take Hwy 27 in Leesburg and drive about 30 minutes and you'll be there.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
It always best to give a good location when describing an out-of-town establishment. I know Clermont pretty well and don't remember this place. After looking on Google images I was able to narrow it down to the JC Penny Shopping Center in the small strip center on the side. Just past World of Beer is a small center and it's next to Game Stop. Out on the Highway is Texas Road House, Olive Garden and Red Lobster, turn in off Hwy 27 anywhere into that shopping center and head to the right, Goombas is very near the Epix Movie Theaters. The easiest way to Clermont is the Florida Turnpike to the Clermont exit Hwy 27 just north of Lake Ridge Winery or take Hwy 27 in Leesburg and drive about 30 minutes and you'll be there.

The Villages Florida
Thank you. I don't know the area that well at all but, believe it of not, I often look to your posts for directions. In fact, the next time we're down, I'm going to follow your directions because I think it's definitely shorter than the route we took.

Also, I don't think they have a website which is why I posted the Facebook page. There you can get the address and phone # at least. Oh, and lots of pictures of their delicious entrees. Just looking at them is making me hungry - and I just had breakfast!

Again, appreciate your added info, John W.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:47 PM

Great restaurant!! We went there before Christmas after playing golf in the area. Eight people all loved their entrees! Reasonable prices, large portions, great service - definitely worth the trip!
Old 01-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC419 View Post
Great restaurant!! We went there before Christmas after playing golf in the area. Eight people all loved their entrees! Reasonable prices, large portions, great service - definitely worth the trip!
That's what we thought too and wanted to share with others who might not know. We'll definitely make a trip back on our next visit to TV.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:54 PM
Sage

Sounds like a good stop to make on a costco run
Old 01-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Sounds like a good stop to make on a costco run
Do it, you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Do it, you won't be disappointed.
I will show them my roots back to Italy on both sides, maybe I can get an additional 10% goomba discount.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
I will show them my roots back to Italy on both sides, maybe I can get an additional 10% goomba discount.
If not that, I bet you might get some freebies added on. You never know. Like my husband says (Italian both sides as well), if you don't ask, the answer is always "no". By the way, he was in heaven there - just like the home cooking he grew up on. I don't have a stitch of Italian in me, so it's been awhile since he had food like that.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
If not that, I bet you might get some freebies added on. You never know. Like my husband says (Italian both sides as well), if you don't ask, the answer is always "no". By the way, he was in heaven there - just like the home cooking he grew up on. I don't have a stitch of Italian in me, so it's been awhile since he had food like that.
So you married up. That is good.

May I ask, what part of Italy are his people from?
Old 01-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
So you married up. That is good.

May I ask, what part of Italy are his people from?
Haha! That's not what Mike Huckabee said when I met him in The Villages. He said my husband married up - smart man, he is!

I think his mother's side was from the Abruzzo area and his father from around Naples, but I'd have to check with him about that to be sure.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Haha! That's not what Mike Huckabee said when I met him in The Villages. He said my husband married up - smart man, he is!

I think his mother's side was from the Abruzzo area and his father from around Naples, but I'd have to check with him about that to be sure.
He just said I had the areas correct, but backwards. Mother from Naples, father from Abruzzo.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
He just said I had the areas correct, but backwards. Mother from Naples, father from Abruzzo.
Mother from Naples. When you retire better take some cooking classes in the villages.
The Mother-in-Law Cure (Originally published as Only in Naples): Learning to Live and Eat in an Italian Family - Kindle edition by Katherine Wilson. Cookbooks, Food & Wine Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:33 PM

Forgot to mention- they have fantastic cannolis!
Old 01-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Sage

We didn't try them, but one of us had their chocolate dessert (can't remember exactly what it was) and I think I had a limoncello something or other - both were excellent. I believe they told us that if they don't make them there, they get them fresh from a local bakery that they contracted with. Don't quote me on that though.

Also, they make their own soups - off the charts good!
Closed Thread

Tags
pizza, clermont, reviews, concerned, ordered

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.