Oyster night at Havana... What a joke...If you enjoy oysters just don't go...

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2020, 03:21 PM
Default Oyster night at Havana... What a joke...If you enjoy oysters just don't go...

We were so excited to find oysters in TV. Usually have to leave and take the car. So we looked forward to it all day. Havana Country Club has Oyster night on Wednesday. So we ordered 10 of each - raw, Rockefeller and roasted. Firstly she says we are out of saltine crackers and brings some other butter crackers...Stale stale stale. Then the raw came out...they were the size of a dime...never seen anything like it. Should be illegal to harvest them so small. The other two were the same story. Only the Rockefeller were more expensive but they put a tiny bit of parmesan cheese and a few speck of green which we think was spinach, but it looked more like dried parsley from a shaker and the roasted had breadcrumbs which had ZERO flavor. We complained to our server who was trying her best and a manager (we think, she never introduced herself) came over and proceeded to tell us we were lucky to be getting such a great deal. Oh and the kitchen gave us a couple extra as they were so small... Please do yourself a favor and stay away from Oyster night at Havana. If you want freshly shucked oysters there is a place on 301 called Aw Shucks and definitely worth getting in your car. Oh and not sure who the entertainment was but sometimes no entertainment is better than listening to off tune karaoke... We should have been compensated for the joke of a meal we were served... Very disappointed again...
Old 09-24-2020, 03:25 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Bummer.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,682 Times in 5,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adow1959@gmail.com View Post
We were so excited to find oysters in TV. Usually have to leave and take the car. So we looked forward to it all day. Havana Country Club has Oyster night on Wednesday. So we ordered 10 of each - raw, Rockefeller and roasted. Firstly she says we are out of saltine crackers and brings some other butter crackers...Stale stale stale. Then the raw came out...they were the size of a dime...never seen anything like it. Should be illegal to harvest them so small. The other two were the same story. Only the Rockefeller were more expensive but they put a tiny bit of parmesan cheese and a few speck of green which we think was spinach, but it looked more like dried parsley from a shaker and the roasted had breadcrumbs which had ZERO flavor. We complained to our server who was trying her best and a manager (we think, she never introduced herself) came over and proceeded to tell us we were lucky to be getting such a great deal. Oh and the kitchen gave us a couple extra as they were so small... Please do yourself a favor and stay away from Oyster night at Havana. If you want freshly shucked oysters there is a place on 301 called Aw Shucks and definitely worth getting in your car. Oh and not sure who the entertainment was but sometimes no entertainment is better than listening to off tune karaoke... We should have been compensated for the joke of a meal we were served... Very disappointed again...
I agree. But, the name is O'Shucks. A better place to go for oysters is the "Oyster Trough" in Eustis, but it is quite a drive. They have professional oyster shuckers, whereas O'Shucks has young ladies shucking the oysters. And, often they cannot shuck fast enough to keep up with the demand.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Never can get a good oyster at a restaurant. That is why I grow my own oysters. Whenever I have the desire for fat, delicious Chesapeake Bay oysters, I just take a bucket to the dock. Darn I might do that this afternoon while I check the crab pots.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:18 AM
Platinum member

I'm a guy who doesn't eat restaurant gumbo east of the Alabama/Florida line, west of the Louisiana/Texas line, or north of US 84. Every time I've broken that rule, I have been disappointed. I'll be damned if I'll eat oysters at a Villages CC.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:54 AM

Test

Last edited by Lchughart@gmail.com; 10-25-2020 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Test
Old 10-25-2020, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. But, the name is O'Shucks. A better place to go for oysters is the "Oyster Trough" in Eustis, but it is quite a drive. They have professional oyster shuckers, whereas O'Shucks has young ladies shucking the oysters. And, often they cannot shuck fast enough to keep up with the demand.
"Quite a drive"? It's less than an hour.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,682 Times in 5,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
"Quite a drive"? It's less than an hour.
I get nervous whenever I leave the bubble.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adow1959@gmail.com View Post
Yet another very negative first post. Must have been really bad to take the effort.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

I think Havana is one of the best restaurants in the villages. At least their oysters are clean and safe to eat.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:20 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
I think Havana is one of the best restaurants in the villages. At least their oysters are clean and safe to eat.
Please don't fool yourself the oysters come from the same distributor.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Next time toss the baby and ask for daddy sized
Old 10-25-2020, 04:06 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Oysters

Oyster Troff in Eustis

Tags
oyster, stale, night, oysters, havana

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.