Panera at LSL

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
You're absolutely correct.......When I see those long lines waiting to pay and I zip on thru using E-Z Pass I wonder why people are willing to sit in a long line of backed up traffic over $12 per year in E-Z Pass cost.
Skip 2
WV Tpk manages to keep things flowing along pretty well with enough toll booths open. Longest line we've EVER been in there has been 3-4 cars.

Probably a lot more traffic in other places!

Bill
Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
It seem to me even the managers of some of the eateries have finally developed the "Love it or Leave it" attitude. Every time (in the morning) i have been in Paneras there has alway been a line. Maybe enough people love it and they really don't mind the few people who leave it.
Since moving to TV 5 years ago, I have decided when I go out for a meal -if have to stand in line to order - however delicious the menu -
forget it - I go home or go somewhere where I am served and can relax.
Perhaps part of it is the growing pains of TV as it is in any rapidly growing community.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Sage
Default Crispers bringing the order is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgal View Post
Since moving to TV 5 years ago, I have decided when I go out for a meal -if have to stand in line to order - however delicious the menu -
forget it - I go home or go somewhere where I am served and can relax.
Perhaps part of it is the growing pains of TV as it is in any rapidly growing community.
This is one of the reasons why, even though I like Panera's food and coffee, I didn't want them to replace the Veranda. The Spanish Springs Panera--noisy, crowded, with long lines you have to crawl thru to find a place to sit/eat (and people in line get huffy because they think you're trying to butt into line)--told us all we needed to know how this new one would be.

This is why I like Crispers a lot more.....there, you don't have to stand around getting elbowed waiting for your order to come up. You can take a seat inside or out and they bring your order to you.

In the meantime, Panera could improve ordering by having a worker or two with handheld computer devices keying orders into the system for people standing in line. Sam's has started ringing up your shopping cart contents with remote handheld devices while you're in line, and it speeds things up nicely. They scan your club card and the items in your cart and you don't have to unload it for the cashier. The cashier picks up the entered data (probably referenced by your member number/card) on his terminal and takes your payment. It would be nice if Panera took orders from people in line this way, and then have the counter person finish the cashiering part of the transaction.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:59 PM

[QUOTE=Tbugs;362386]Gemorc,

You were complaining in your post about the attitude of the assistant manager after you told her you had waited 8 minutes and were now leaving. As I said, what did you expect her to do except to maybe say she was sorry you had to wait but this was a busy time? Did you want her to seat you immediately and comp you a free meal as payment for your 8 minute wait? Did you just want an, "I'm sorry but this is a busy time" or what? Would you have been satisfied with that response?

What was your demeanor or tone of your voice when you informed the assistant manager of your waiting time before you left?

All of these things come into play. I am not making any judgement on you but at a busy time at a popular place like Panera, you sometimes have to wait for a table.[/QUOD

Does the wording, highlighted in red, signify that you are angry? Oh boy!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
You're absolutely correct.......When I see those long lines waiting to pay and I zip on thru using E-Z Pass I wonder why people are willing to sit in a long line of backed up traffic over $12 per year in E-Z Pass cost.
Skip 2
12 bucks a year !!!!! What were you thinking.....That is serious money. You could buy almost 2 glasses of wine with dinner with that kind of cash.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:42 AM
Founder

I love Panera but, like many, dislike the long lines.

Here's a Panera story that just frosts me to no end.

My daughter gave me a Panera gift card for Christmas. It was a $25 card. I went to the Panera in Spanish Springs and bought a scone and coffee with it. The place was jammed with people and in all the chaos, I forgot to retrieve my card after she gave me the merchandise.

When I got home, I realized that I had forgotten my card, so I called to see if they still had it. "No, the manager said, when somebody leaves a card, we throw it out."
"What, I said.....how can that be, I was there less than an hour ago, you just throw cash into the garbage?" "Yes, she said, that's Panera's policy."

A couple of weeks later, the district manager was there and I asked him. He confirmed that was the policy. I didn't need to say anything to him, the look on my face told my story. There must be more to this policy than I am understanding.

When Panera is not jammed and when they are not throwing out my card, I love it.

JLK
Old 06-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I love Panera but, like many, dislike the long lines.

Here's a Panera story that just frosts me to no end.

My daughter gave me a Panera gift card for Christmas. It was a $25 card. I went to the Panera in Spanish Springs and bought a scone and coffee with it. The place was jammed with people and in all the chaos, I forgot to retrieve my card after she gave me the merchandise.

When I got home, I realized that I had forgotten my card, so I called to see if they still had it. "No, the manager said, when somebody leaves a card, we throw it out."
"What, I said.....how can that be, I was there less than an hour ago, you just throw cash into the garbage?" "Yes, she said, that's Panera's policy."

A couple of weeks later, the district manager was there and I asked him. He confirmed that was the policy. I didn't need to say anything to him, the look on my face told my story. There must be more to this policy than I am understanding.

When Panera is not jammed and when they are not throwing out my card, I love it.

JLK
They could (or should be able to) identify that card as yours by the transaction no. on your receipt. The chaotic atmosphere of the S.S. store and now this is all we need to know.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Founder

BTW, I wrote an unemotional, statement of fact letter to Panera home office. I didn't get a reply
Old 06-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
They could (or should be able to) identify that card as yours by the transaction no. on your receipt. The chaotic atmosphere of the S.S. store and now this is all we need to know.
Need to know for what??
Old 06-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Default Is this horse glue yet?????????

My gosh how long can this horse be beat!!!!! This is a nationwide store. There are reasons they do things.if I don't agree with them I have the option to go elsewhere.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:17 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield illinois View Post
My gosh how long can this horse be beat!!!!! This is a nationwide store. There are reasons they do things.if I don't agree with them I have the option to go elsewhere.
If you are referring to my discussion of them throwing away my gift card, that was MY card, MY money, MY gift. They had no right to make the decision to throw away MY property.

This is a chat forum. It's for people to talk about things. People talk about things so that life can somehow be better. And, "if I don't agree with them," here in America, I have the option to talk about them.

I think that because this is "nationwide store" people shouldn't just accept what they do without discussion. Part of the pleasure of living in America is that people can make a different by speaking out. There are plenty of large companies that "do things' that are so grossly wrong that the government finally steps in. Airlines for example.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Time to put this one to rest.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Time to put this one to rest.
And exactly why is that? Wouldn't it be easier for you to just stop reading this thread and allow others to discuss what they want to?
Old 06-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Sage
Default Worth finding out about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
If you are referring to my discussion of them throwing away my gift card, that was MY card, MY money, MY gift. They had no right to make the decision to throw away MY property.

This is a chat forum. It's for people to talk about things. People talk about things so that life can somehow be better. And, "if I don't agree with them," here in America, I have the option to talk about them.

I think that because this is "nationwide store" people shouldn't just accept what they do without discussion. Part of the pleasure of living in America is that people can make a different by speaking out. There are plenty of large companies that "do things' that are so grossly wrong that the government finally steps in. Airlines for example.
I think it's good to find out about such a practice and it should make us wonder how many other "nationwide stores" make it policy to throw away a pre-paid CASH card, which in effect allows them to KEEP the cash the card buyer gave them, without it costing them a cent from their inventory/workforce. Gift cards are money belonging to that business floating around. More thought should be given as to how much unearned money business make off gift cards that are never used. Buying a gift card and not using it is like walking into that store, handing them $25, and leaving without ever getting a penny's worth of product or services from them.

Last edited by ilovetv; 06-19-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I've read statistics where approximately 10% of all gift cards go unredeemed, for whatever reason.

Seems like a great deal for the merchants...they can bank on somewhere between a 6% ~ 10% profit.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.