Mallory CC dinner tonight: AWFUL!!

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Default Mallory CC dinner tonight: AWFUL!!

Took guests to Mallory tonight, hoping for an enjoyable dinner. The hostess was rude, the wait was LONG!!, the food was AWFUL (one dinner was so-so, two were awful, and the other was inedible and had to be returned)......and we were humiliated in front of our guests. My husband is now eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to make up for the poor meal. What does it take to get a good meal in The Villages other than cooking at home????
Old 03-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

that's terrible, have to ask the obvious question, what did the Manager say when you complained....gn
Old 03-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOstrich View Post
Took guests to Mallory tonight, hoping for an enjoyable dinner. The hostess was rude, the wait was LONG!!, the food was AWFUL (one dinner was so-so, two were awful, and the other was inedible and had to be returned)......and we were humiliated in front of our guests. My husband is now eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to make up for the poor meal. What does it take to get a good meal in The Villages other than cooking at home????
What does it take to get a good meal in the Villages????? Am I reading this right? You go to ONE place and you are asking about the ENTIRE VILLAGES????? We ate at Mallory this evening and I saw the food coming out to other people as well as what we ordered and nothing seemed as you described.... "AWFUL". If I were you, I'd directly go to the manager and deal with your experience. If your food was that awful...show them your plate and get another meal. No one would humilate you unless they felt attacked. Did you attack them verbally or with hostile attitude? Strange.

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Sage

See my reply to the thread on Tierra Del Sol restaurant.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts
Default Country Club Dining

When you think of country club dining you think of exclusive service and food. Mallory Hill, Tierra Del Sol, etc. is golf club dining. Totally different animal. Golf club dining is more informal, lower in price, and the level of service is up to interpretation. Also the food can be inconsistent but very good at times. I've had really good and really bad meals at Palmer's, mediocre at Mallory, and it's a crap shoot at Havana. Glenview, Cane Garden and Nancy Lopez (especially Lopez) can approach a country club experience. But the reality is that unless we want to join a club that has an initiation amount, yearly membership fees, and monthly minimums, we should be happy but selective about the choices we have in The Villages' clubs.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:52 PM

I took visiting family to Mallory for dinner tonight and our food was excellent, service was also good.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety Bird View Post
What does it take to get a good meal in the Villages????? Am I reading this right? You go to ONE place and you are asking about the ENTIRE VILLAGES????? We ate at Mallory this evening and I saw the food coming out to other people as well as what we ordered and nothing seemed as you described.... "AWFUL". If I were you, I'd directly go to the manager and deal with your experience. If your food was that awful...show them your plate and get another meal. No one would humilate you unless they felt attacked. Did you attack them verbally or with hostile attitude? Strange.
What did you have for dinner?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
What did you order? I also would have asked for the manager. Never would I use my daily calorie intake for an awful meal. How were you humiliated? Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM

I went to Mallory this past Monday for a group luncheon. I ordered a chef salad. Very disappointed with the meal. A couple of pieces of thin cut-up lunch meat were put in the salad, one-half egg, no shredded carrots, bacon that looked like it was put through a grinder, three sliced tomatoes, 3 pieces of cucumber, and shredded cheese finished it off. I have always been disappointed with the food and service here. And it's happened at this CC, and not the others. I would never take guests there for a meal.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 PM

I laugh every time i see threads like this. Maybe I don't get it though, so it's probably me. Last Friday I stopped at a restaurant in Sumpter Landing and asked to be seated outside. I was the only patron outside, maybe because it was mid-afternoon and 85 degrees. Regardless, I was forgotten out there. 25 minutes later when the hostess brought another couple out to seat them, I asked if I could be waited on. She apologized and took my order. When my drink was served, it was the wrong drink. It was practically an hour before I had my food and the right drink in front of me. I laughed to myself about it and when I left, I paid my bill, said thanks and left my typical 20% tip. Will I go back? Certainly. People make mistakes. Should we expect more when we are paying for a service? Sure, but things happen now and then.
I see many posts on here about the horrible this, the horrible that, bad drivers, bad food, helicopters flying too low. You know what? I love it here and will spend the rest of my days here.
The best part about my comment here is that I'm a rude New Yorker, go figure.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Sage

Sounds like you should have talked to the Mgr.

(LOL)

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Sage
Smile I agree

I like your attitude and it's always fun to see NYers relax and mellow out in TV.

Was reading the Villages Gourmet Club website last night ( http://thevillagesgourmetclub.home.c...esgourmetclub/ ) and I marvelled again that we have so many excellent and affordable restaurants in and around TV. There are 73 listed as "in" TV, and 195 listed as "near" TV. What more could we ask for???? If food and service stinks at one place, go to a different restaurant, and give them a chance to improve after you clearly tell them your problem.

As a former server, I can tell you the problem is usually NOT with the server who takes all the flak directly from the customers--regardless of who caused the problem. Usually such problems are due to surly kitchen workers, or an incompetent manager who has under-staffed on a busy shift, or employees calling off "sick", etc.....or all of the above.

While some of it can be a server's fault, do not punish them with a poor tip or no tip. They make a minimum wage of $4.23/hour and depend on tips to feed and clothe their kids or pay for college. If a server is obviously doing a bad job or is sloppy/unkempt, I do leave a reduced tip.

Whenever I go to a C.C. to dine in the evening, I always think the workers have an unusually hard job there, with so many big tables and so much noise that it's difficult to hear patrons, etc.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM

We had a similar experiance last year, i can relate, you dont want to complain to managment for every bad meal but want to know what others think.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I am sorry to hear this. So we can better understand, please tell us what the waitress said that was rude and what was awful about the two meals.

No need for you to feel humiliated in front of your guests unless you cooked it, unless they think that you have no taste in restaurants.(Bet they know better than that.)

Had you been there before? Sometimes the best cooks are ....taking their kids on Spring break??? It all rests on WHO is manning the fry pots back there, and I am beginning to think that good cooks aren't as available as they used to be and that includes in peoples homes too.

Please just tell us what was bad and what the waitress said and more details.

This could be cause to call out the girls.

I read some of your past posts and it seems that you have rented since January and will return home the end of March. Overall, how do you like it here?

Kindest wishes,
Gracie
Old 03-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Platinum member

Always give a restaurant a second or third try. You would be surprised..

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.