piano bar?

piano bar?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 02-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
When I first discovered TV, I thought surely there had to be a piano bar here. But now, (sigh) I doubt there ever will be.

If I am in a piano bar or a restaurant with a pianist playing in the background, I can keep the tip jar full because I never seem to run out of requests. I usually start with “Satin Doll” and on to “Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered” and so it goes. (I do remember my manners and give others a chance — but never a lull.)

I guess I am a little bit out of my era and not supposed to know all those songs, but for some reason I do.

Anyway, the reason I am in this thread — other than to wax nostalgic — is to talk about Beegie Adair:

I had never heard of Beegie Adair until fairly recently when I was up north in a favorite restaurant.

We know, all too well, that it is a rare restaurant that can get the background music just right. But this one does. Alas, not a piano bar. Not live music. No tip jar. No singing. But the next best thing. A perfect loop of piano, playing in the background.

I knew all the songs but I did not know the artist.

So I got out my phone and pushed Shazam and that was how I discovered Beegie Adair. And now I own a whole bunch of her music. Listening to it right now, in fact.

If you like a beautiful romantic piano, and you had never heard of Beegie Adair, now you have.

You’re welcome.
She is fabulous:

The Way You Look Tonight - YouTube

The kind of music I used to dance and listen to at The Rainbow Room in NYC, a million years ago. Brings back so many wonderful memories.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:33 AM
Sage

Quote:

I have been doing a little more online reading about Beejie Adair, and the Beejie Adair Trio. I found her discography and every one of those recordings looks pretty wonderful to me.

She is 81 and has been in the business for a long time. She does a few concerts, some at a place called the Birdland Theater in New York.

When I first heard her, I knew I had to find out more.

Wonderfully romantic slow dance music, too -- and I bet even couples who can't dance could figure out something to do with Beejie Adair playing through the Bose -- maybe a little "Teach Me Tonight."
Once again, thank you for posting her name. She will be a great addition to my Bose. My son has an Alexa that he talks to every morning when he is having coffee, I will give him both Beegie and Danny Wright. Teach me Tonight, another really smooth romantic number.

I just YouTubed Danny Wright, but did not care for his music. Much prefer Beejie.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 02-18-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 08:20 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
. . .
Just youtubed Danny Wright and did not care for his music, much prefer the styling of Beejie.
Yes they are different styles -- I find Beegie to be supper club (which I adore), while Wright sounds more dreamy/classical (which I also love) as in this selection:

Somewhere In Time - YouTube

However, regardless of who we prefer, there is no doubt that both are incredibly accomplished pianists.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:29 AM
Soaring Parsley

Good morning,

I went to Amazon, scrolled to CDs & Vinyl, and typed in Beegie Adair. Clicking on the CD title and scrolling down shows the list of songs on each one. I think those who love the old standards will be amazed. I can’t think of anything she left out.

I must shamelessly confess that I still buy CDs. Mr. Boomer will put them on my computer and iPod for me. (Yes. I still have an old Nano. I am such a dinosaur.)

Last edited by Boomer; 02-18-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Boomer, I just did a search for her on YouTube, found her playing Fly Me to the Moon, one of my favorites of all time, and she sounds great. Thanks, but I will go out on a limb and say I don't think we have a restaurant or a bar with the ambiance for a piano player of that level, although, maybe Demshers could provide the right room.
Here it is:

Fly Me To The Moon -- Beegie Adair Trio - YouTube

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2019, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Good morning,

I went to Amazon, scrolled to CDs & Vinyl, and typed in Beegie Adair. Clicking on the CD title and scrolling down shows the list of songs on each one. I think those who love the old standards will be amazed. I can’t think of anything she left out.

I must shamelessly confess that I still buy CDs. Mr. Boomer will put them on my computer and iPod for me. (Yes. I still have an old Nano. I am such a dinosaur.)
Actually the old ipods have become collectibles and some are quite valuable.

Apple iPods Are Worth Big Money as Collectibles: eBay Prices | Money
Old 02-18-2019, 05:38 PM
Gold member

I local singer is making the rounds these few two years, mostly in Ocala. Her name is Miranda MADison. That's the way she spells it. Sings at the Hilton-Ocala for Sunday Brunch about noon every week. Great voice.

Skip
Old 02-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Platinum member

Thank you, ladies, for recommending Beegie. I put her on Pandora immediately. Love those "out of date" smooth melodies.

Tags
piano, love, area, restaurants, sing