Pizza

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2021, 08:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Piesanos
Piesanos??? YUCK. We've been in the villages 8 months and just in that time the quality of their pizza has deteriorated significantly. I've crossed them off the list.

Mallory Square CC
Default Best Thin Crust Pizza

Thanks all. Looks like Piesano's leads the pack.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Pizza is like Chinese food. Whatever was the style in your home town or home state is what you consider good. Everything else is terrible. They are also the same in that neither one is authentic. Pizza in the US is nothing like Pizza in Naples where it was invented. Most Americans would balk at true Italian pizza. Same for Chinese food. It's nothing like what is served in China.

Recently, I saw a documentary about pizza in the US. It was about two pizza chains that started in mid-west. One was Pizza Hut. They were hugely successful when expanding throughout the mid west, but when they opened stores in the northeast, they failed miserably.

Most Italians who emigrated to this country settled in the northeast. So when this different type of pizza came to them, they rejected it. American style pizza had been around New England, New York and New Jersey for decades, so this new mid western style was not what people were used to. Pizza Hut added a thinner crust to their menu and it helped, but where I came from it still wasn't very popular.

Then there is Greek or cafe style pizza. I lived in an area where there were two restaurants that served this style and local people raved about them. I never understood it, but they were very popular locally.

Having said all this, it's very rare that I complain about pizza or Chinese food. Even the worst of it is pretty good.
We have been to Italy several times and were surprised to find out we liked American pizza from a good pizza place better than what we had in Italy.

What others told us was pizza was invented in Italy but perfected in the US.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:18 AM

Flippers on Traverse Trail. Their Margherita is as close to one in Naples as you will find, and it's a lot cheaper than flying to Italy. Their trick is to brush the crust with olive oil and to use crushed tomatoes in place of a sauce. Add fresh buffalo mozzarella and basil and it is a slice of heaven.

The perfect pizza is very much an individual choice. The other recommendations, Sammy Joe's etc, all make a fine product which I have enjoyed. However, the only one that is unique is Flippers. I prefer the Flippers at Traverse over the one at Spanish Springs.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:20 AM
Default Best pizza in TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peazoup View Post
In your opinion, which restaurant has the best thin crust pizza in The Villages?
Bravos
Old 03-15-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
In your opinion, which restaurant has the best thin crust pizza in The Villages?
Go next door to Leesburg and get Chicago thin crust pizza. It is wonderful and not expensive. Name is Chicago Fire Brewery.It is on Magnolia street one street over from Main.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,065 Times in 534 Posts

NYC girl here, I like Gio's Deli pizza best.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry chappel View Post
Piesanos??? YUCK. We've been in the villages 8 months and just in that time the quality of their pizza has deteriorated significantly. I've crossed them off the list.
We order from Piesanos weekly. I think the pizza is excellent. I am having a couple of slices for breakfast as I post.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:28 AM
Default Pittsburgh - Penn State Gang, Club and/or Gathering Spot for Sports?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Piesanos
I see you're a Pittsburgh fan. I'm moving up in August. Is there a STEELER - Penn State club or gathering spot for games?? Hope to meet the 'Burg Gang when I get up there from Fort Myers.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:59 AM

I have had the pizza at most of the places being mentioned. Although I ate them because I payed for them I have not found one that I like. The best one I had was at Mallory Country Club. But that said even that doesn’t compare to the pizzas up north. Believe it or not one of the only good Pizzas other then Mallory CC that I’ve had is a frozen pizza called Home Run Inn frozen Pizza found only at Publix. It’s actually better then all the ones mentioned I’ve heard mentioned.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:01 AM

There are a few "OK" pizza places here but being from the Trenton, NJ area nobody makes a Tomato Pie like DiLorenzo's or PaPa's. (Thin NY style well done crust and the cheese added first before the tomato's and meat.) I have had pizza in Naples and it was Great.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:10 AM
Thumbs up Pizza....

Quote:
being originally from the New Haven ct area...I have tried many places here in TV...so far Mallory Hill club house gets my vote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:41 AM

Wait for Marco's to open next to the new Publix in Tradewinds plaza...and then compare their pizzas to any of the ones previously mentioned. We got hooked while residing in Athens Ga.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:00 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
OP, your tagline says Connecticut. So I'll express this to you as someone who knows northern pizza and who has a preference for NY/New Haven/Boston style pizza:

Avoid Flippers at all costs. It's worse than Domino's (using the above as the benchmark).

I've heard from a few northern neighbors that Paisano's is decent.
I'll add Giovanni's at Wedgewood in the same plaza as the Publix (a couple of doors down).

You won't find anything truly comparable to NYC/New Haven/Boston pizza anywhere in Florida, and most sauce here comes from a can, not from the restaurant's kitchen. They use Florida tap water to make the dough, and that's sort of like adding a forkful of half-chewed well-done filet mignon to a bowl of Kibbles and Bits and calling it gourmet dog food.
You've summed it up pretty well, but maybe should have added "in central Florida", as a native I can tell you you can get some great pizza, non chain, in south Atlantic coast Florida... but that doesn't help us much here, LOL ! Canned, sour tasting almost, sauce at all places. One or two non chains in Ocala have good pies, but 18-20 mile drive each way ? Haven't found anything in Leesburg, many rave about Belview pizza, but it was more a midwestern style in our opinion.... it's like trying to find really good Chinese, it's like looking for pot of gold at the rainbow !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 03-15-2021 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added word
Closed Thread

Tags
pizza, opinion, restaurant, thin, crust

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.