Pizza

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by poromo
I live in NYC all my life and will be going to Gramaldi's (reputed to have the best pizza in the world) in Brooklyn for lunch today and I must say Pizza Hut pizza is as good, if not better, than Gramaldi's or any other pizza place in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Da Bronx or Staten Island.

Sometimes I think us New Yorkers have an unjustified snobbery about pizza. The same holds true for Bagels. Einstein bagels (a bagel chain) are as good as any bagel shop in NYC.

Was this post a joke? I can't beieve anyone would make the comparison between Grimaldi's (aka Patsy's) to Pizza Hut.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

CHUCKINCA:

You're right. Give me any Chicago deep dish pizza, nothing arount TV compares :bigthumbsup:
Old 08-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Sage

There's a new restaurant, Big City Grill, being built near Walmart on 466...supposed to have authentic Chicago pizza. We'll see....
Old 08-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

v07, love Chicago style pizza (actually I too like pizza hut) any idea when Big City is supposed to open?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Eternal Member

As far as I am concerned, Pizza is an acquired taste and texture piece of food. I was raised in Jax, Fl. Pizza Inn, Shakeys and Tony's were my choice. We had small, medium and large. I moved to NJ and they only had large. They were much more greasy or oily (pick your term). In Andover, NJ, Mario's changed from brother to brother and they had some great pizza. You could order extra crispy and it was to die for (along with a side of hot mussels). Now I am back in FL and cannot find a really great pizza. I like Snappies because they deliver and have good pizza with a nice spice to the sauce - but no mussels). Pauley's is doughy and a little greasy and limp. I cannot eat pizzas with the cheese inside the crust so Pizza Hut is out.

I went to Chicago and was not happy with the "deep"dish" pizza. How do you pick up a slice and eat it with out getting it all over you? If you need a knife and fork to eat a pizza it is not a pizza.

Besides Mario's in Andover, NJ, Mystic Pizza in Mystic CT had a GREAT pizza. The wife and I went there at least once a year - sometimes twice. It was a 240 mile trip but well worth it. That pizza would melt in your mouth - not too cheesy and never greasy. They even had a frozen pizza that we used to get at the local A&P. Not the same but just as tasty.

What do you look for in a pizza? Is it taste? Cheese? Add ons? Firmness?

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:51 PM
Sage

That new Italian place near 466 Wal-Mart is supposed to have authentic Chicago Italian Beef Sandwiches ! ! !

I would kill for a Italian Beef Sandwich from Pimenti's from Roseland if it was still the 50' or 60's!

Same for a Rainbow cone from Blue Island or a hot dog from the road side stands on Western near 95th.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-01-2007, 08:00 PM

:-*\\\OK here's my $.02, for what its worth. For new york pizza I think THE BEST around is Little Anthony's in Clermont..............a long way to drive.....but certainly worth it. All the new yorkers that I know say that the KEY to making a good NY style pizza is in the water they use. The owners use only the best water and I think it really does make a difference! Around here I love Giovanni's!

NOW I am fairly new here and I want to know where to get A GOOD HOT DOG!!!!!
Thanks in advance!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Pizza is a very personal thing. I lived in Chicago all my life and of course love my Chicago Pizza. Deep Dish is great but I really like a good Chicago thin crust. The south side of Chicago has some of the best. For thin crust here so far we like Phil's in Belleview and Little Joey's' . The Pizza Hut is horrible, Snappy Tomato is ok if you're desperate.

I sure hope I heard right that some new place is going to have Chicago Italian Beef Sandwiches!!! When I moved here it was the first time I found out it is a Chicago thing, everyone looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for it! Ok that's my 2 cents worth :
Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Sage

Could sure go for some Aurelio's thin crust Italian sausage, bell pepper and mushroom pizza!
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Veteran member

Aurelio's thin crust Italian sausage, bell pepper and mushroom pizza!
How could I forget Aurelio's!!!! Yum...I can't wait we will be in Chicago Oct.4th thru the 12th!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Platinum member

This thread is all over the map but since we're talking about Pizza on TOTV, I'm surpised that no one commented about Bravo Pizza in LSL. It's as good as any that we've had in NYC in the last twenty years. In my youth, we used to go out almost every Friday for pizza. Then a small pie was .90 and large pie was $1.20. Now we're looking at $3.50 a slice. The only thing that has enjoyed a similar cost increase is a college educaiton.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:47 AM
Sage

For those of you familiar with the DC area/Univ of MD.... the best is Ledo's pizza...."it's square because they don't cut corners"; nice thin pastry crust. ummmmmm....heading up there later this week and will be sure to have some Ledo's.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung
This thread is all over the map but since we're talking about Pizza on TOTV, I'm surpised that no one commented about Bravo Pizza in LSL. It's as good as any that we've had in NYC in the last twenty years.
It's good pizza. I like their stuffed vegetable pie. One slice is like a 3 course meal.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Sage

Been to Bravo Pizza - done that.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Veteran member

Hey does anyone know what happened to Phils' Pizzeria in Belleview. It is closed, totally empty!!!! They were always crowded and had some of the best pizza and Italian food around!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.