Positive and negative comments for restaurant owners and managers:

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2015, 01:55 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I can tell you are a decent cook, Rubicon. I haven't ever been to Athens Restaurant. What is YOUR favorite menu item there?
Hi GG: I am the breakfast cook since I like breakfast the best. I make good omelets , one my wife says would be praised by Martha Stewart because the outer side is such a nice color of yellow . My favorite french omelet is a ham with potato and apples in a butter/brown sugar sauce. My favorite american omelet is one with asparagus, mushrooms and cheese. I love hash browns, beef hash, grits . I prefer ham but also like sausage or bacon and love eggs in any forms and especially like eggs Florentine. My wife is the dinner cook and her repertorie runs from Italian, to Polish, to German, French American classics, primarily European
She makes excellent pizza both red/white from scratch

We prefer to cook at home even when we are going out for the evening. Eating out in most cases is truly for special events, birthdays, etc.

Athens prepares their fish fry much to what I remember when growing up in Central New York. a must stop for us when we go home is a stop at Doug's great fish fry and chowder etc.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 03-24-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
If true "country club" status is the goal, then paying minimum $5000/year dues, periodic assessments to balance the year's books and future capital project funding, 20% service charge on every tab, initiation fees of $30,000+, guest greens fees of $100+, and minimum spending at the clubhouse of $200/month.. is what the "member" needs to seek somewhere else besides in TV.

Public playing golf on TV "country club" courses, and EVERYONE paying greens fees, should give a clue at the outset that it is not a private, member-owned country club...where about a dozen excellent golfers will have to take on a 2nd 30-hour/week job at night, sitting at endless board meetings figuring out where to cut costs in every other department except golf, without raising dues on golfers..and listening to member complaints every time they come to enjoy themselves.

Been there, done that..it's aggravating. And the certain "better golfers" quickly become very territorial and possessive about tee times, dining areas, etc., and they tend to treat non-golfing members as 4th class citizens, not 2nd class!!
Nice tirade but you missed the point that mediocre Restaurants here in TV can easily succeed with sub par food and service. Easy solution for you is to stop calling these joints "Country Clubs" which they are surely not! Why not just call them mediocre Restaurants adjacent to Golf Courses and eliminate all the nonsense you referred to.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:00 PM

When we moved here a year ago, we put all the restaurant names on slips of paper in a bowl. Each time we plan to go out, we draw a slip to see where we are dining that night. This is helping us try all the restaurants in TV. If there is one we don't like, we throw away the slip, if we like it it does into the already tried bowl for our next round. This also helps if you get in a restaurant rut, going the same places every month. Works for us! Thought I'd share...
Old 03-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

OK let's remember one thing. Unless you lived in Florida before moving to TV we all lived somewhere else for 50+ years. So what you were used to eating will NOT be the same living here. The food doesn't taste the same, get cooked and or spiced the same etc. Even the cuts of meat are different. does that mean the Food or Restaurant are no good? No it means it's not what we were accustomed to before moving here. As for service now that SHOULD be the same regardless of where you are from. You come in are greeted, seated and a menu is presented the specials read and your beverage order taken. If that's not being done then somebody needs training. If a place is constantly out of food, beverages etc. shame on management and he needs to be told either in person or smashed on TOTV.
There are very few Restaurants I wouldn't eat at some I like better then others and visit them more frequently. The end of my rant. All I know is they must be doing something right because I've had to wait to be seated quite a lot this season.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Gracie nailed it again. BTW, I don't think I need to explain anything. GG did a much better job than i ever could.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:15 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Folks we are all just voicing our opinions and we all have a right to disagree and we are all at the disadvantage of the written word which often loses much in translation.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 03-24-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I can tell you are a decent cook, Rubicon. I haven't ever been to Athens Restaurant. What is YOUR favorite menu item there?
Athens is one of the few decent restaurants in TV. You really ought to try it.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:27 PM
TOTV Moderator

The topic of this thread is Positive and Negative comments for restaurant owners and managers. If posters do not return to the topic and refrain from negative comments directed at each other, the thread will be closed.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosygail View Post
When we moved here a year ago, we put all the restaurant names on slips of paper in a bowl. Each time we plan to go out, we draw a slip to see where we are dining that night. This is helping us try all the restaurants in TV. If there is one we don't like, we throw away the slip, if we like it it does into the already tried bowl for our next round. This also helps if you get in a restaurant rut, going the same places every month. Works for us! Thought I'd share...
I like this idea and likely will steal it. Hope you don't mind. Not only do we go to the same restaurant almost every time (Evans Prairie), we order the same thing every time.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
Athens is one of the few decent restaurants in TV. You really ought to try it.
Where is Athens located?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Where is Athens located?
Next to Katie Belle's.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Next to Katie Belle's.
Thanks Bogie. We will have to try it.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

At one time there were three five star restaurants in Cincinnati; Pigals, The Maisonette and The Gourmet Room. We have eaten at each of them and they were very good. I still like and would recommend any number of dishes that our local country clubs serve as tasty and reasonable in price too.

I can cook and I do cook a lot at home and I enjoy my own cooking. I still have not been able to even come close to making a soup as good as the wonderful Beef Cabbage soup served at Toojays on Wednesday night. There are other examples as well of really good dishes available here in TV. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what tastes good to one doesn't to another. I am more than satisfied with what I can find here to eat..

Proud to be from Cincinnati. Read this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maisonette
Old 03-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Sage

As far as I remember I only complained to a restaurant once and it was by phone. I was having lunch at a restaurant with a friend and when I told her what was wrong with my meal she didn't want me to complain because she thought it would spoil the occasion/mood. So I put up with what I had.

When I got home I called and told the manager about it and he said next time we eat there it would be free for both of us. But we would have to tell them in advance of getting the meal. It was a generous offer but we never went back to that restaurant again.

My friend and I both agreed that we would feel like free-loaders.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Sage
Default Positive and negative comments for restaurant owners and managers:

Quote:
At one time there were three five star restaurants in Cincinnati; Pigals, The Maisonette and The Gourmet Room. We have eaten at each of them and they were very good. I still like and would recommend any number of dishes that our local country clubs serve as tasty and reasonable in price too.

I can cook and I do cook a lot at home and I enjoy my own cooking. I still have not been able to even come close to making a soup as good as the wonderful Beef Cabbage soup served at Toojays on Wednesday night. There are other examples as well of really good dishes available here in TV. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what tastes good to one doesn't to another. I am more than satisfied with what I can find here to eat..

Proud to be from Cincinnati. Read this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maisonette
Although not a five star selection, my wife and I enjoyed The Precinct restaurant during the few times we went to Cincinnati. Is it still there? As you undoubtedly know it took its name from the building which previously housed a police precinct. There were several others we enjoyed also - I think one was J's.

Last edited by dbussone; 03-24-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.