Prices are to high

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Veteran member
Default Prices are to high

Be serious I dont care where we live but the prices are to high for what you get. Just because the stores and shops, including restaurants , dont think they have to compete with the outside world the cost of an evening out is sometimes to much. We have found alot of places in Eustis and Mount Dora that are much better and less expensive. Some will say then go but that is not the point. Where we lived before we had a locals card good for everywhere,why not do that here. Some places do give discounts but what would be better is a resident only local card . I hate to sound this way but it is time we take care of ourselves. Yes I am open for discussion.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Default Re: Prices are to high

DDoug,

As a villager and a business, (dessert restaurant, (Bruster's) owner) we do have agreements (some written) with TOTV, Villagers Home Owners Association, etc for a variety of discounts - most of which include a completely buy one, get one free product. Not many restaurants do that in or outside of TV. So when you are looking to drive elsewhere, you might want to consider what type of bargains and discounts exist right in your neighborhood.

Come visit us anytime. We even honor competitor coupons daily!!!

Thanks
Zug, Switzerland
Usingen, Germany
Woodstock, GA
Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Eternal Member

Back when I got here in 2001, the prices were cheap or reasonable. As time has gone on, the prices have been jacked up so much, it is almost impossible to eat out more than a couple of times a week. I go to Ocala and the Belleview area and eat cheaper - even with the price of gas.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm sure there are some places that might get away with charging a little too much, but I've always found the majority of the prices in TV to be reasonable. Z, 2001 was 6 years ago, prices would be expected to go up, can you give some examples of prices in TV compared to Ocala.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Eternal Member

Sure prices will rise. That is inevitable. But it did not start going up that much until all of these new restaraunts starting jumping in on the south side. I think that people like close as a top choice. I don't. I also like the quality and additions. For example, Up the Creek - good food - but do you get a salad with the lunch shrimp? No. At Red Lobster you get 12 shrimp and a garden salad and fries. At Up the Creek you get 6 shrimp, fries and no salad. Same price - $7.99. Same with Olive Garden vs Torinos (gone) Augustine's (gone) Dominic's (bad experience). Logan's Steakhouse in Ocala - best mini burgers around.

More courses - same price.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Veteran member

Question: Why do you think restaurants charge more when they are located on The Villages property?
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 08-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Veteran member

My guess is premium lease rates :dontknow:
Old 08-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Veteran member

DickY: Uh huh. Good guess. And there are other additional costs that restaurants operating outside of The Villages property don't have to absorb.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 09-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Eternal Member

Additional cost is probably true. But sometimes I get the feeling that these businesses think we Villagers have money and want to part with it. That is far from the truth. With more reasonable prices I think they would get more repeat business.

I decided to try Bob Evans the other day for breakfast. $7.59 for am omelet? Damn! But almost all of their egg platters were in the $7.xx range. Since I was there I tried it. I like the western omelet with the onions, peppers and ham cooked into the eggs. That is the way they do it. Most of the restaurants put the onions, peppers and ham in the middle. It was good but not $7.59 good. The grits were good but too big a bowl and the home fries were still on the al dente side - not cooked.

And to think I could have gone to Glenview for $5.99.

And another thing - at the prices they are charging - when I ask some one how was the food at (insert name) and the answer is good or okay instead of "great!! can't wait to go back" - I think there are better places to spend my eating allowance.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Veteran member

Additional costs are probably true? It is absolutely true. Business start-up costs in TV for a free standing unit like Bob Evans...should be about 10-20% more than your average Bob Evans (architectural requirements, landscape and other stuff) based on my own experience. This is true for other free standing restaurants on TV properties. I would also guess that Bob Evans does not own the land and they pay a very hefty lease for it....verrrry hefty. Most restauranteurs and franchaisors benchmark profit margins as a percentage of sales and set prices accordingly (market competition notwithstanding). Return on investment (ROI) includes the variable cost of start-up....and that too is factored in to menu prices. Buy a cup of coffee in Manhatten.....and we wonder why it costs so much? Don't be quick to fault Bob Evans for the high price of an omlette. ....they are not ripping you off.....it's simply the cost of doing business here being passed on to us the consumers. If it's a corporate owned store....and the RIO is not met (i.e price and volume) ....say bye-bye to Bob Evans in TV. Simple as that. It's business.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Platinum member

Also "having" just got back from San Francisco and eating a $75 breakfast for 2 at the Fairmont, I sure as hell feel anyplace is reasonable comparably speaking. Give me anything at Bob Evans and chase it with a coffee ice cream hot fudge sundae from Brusters. Don't forget 20% gratuity.

Steve
Old 09-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Steve:
on Bob Evans. Just got back from staying with the granddaughters while my daughter picked up her husband home on leave from UN police in Kosovo. My wife and I had breakfast at Bob Evans and it was great. They even do the potatoes well, which is usually not true at most restaurants at breakfast. BTW, the omelets were $7.59 in Columbia, MO so TV prices are no higher than here.

Ron
Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Sage

Here is a newbie question: Are prices in restaurants located at the Town Squares higher than restaurants located in (for instance) Southern Trace Plaza? Also, is 20% the standard gratuity in TV, and do you pay
even higher if the service is great?

Looks like I have to start saving up by loonies or learn how to cook. :joke:
Old 09-11-2007, 06:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We always go to the buffet breakfast at Katie Belles, when we were there in April it was $5.99 and that included coffee, and they also make fresh omelets and you pick the ingredients and they hand carve roast beef. MMMM can't wait to get back there in a couple weeks.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Eternal Member

Katie Belle's does have a great omelet - and corned beef hash - and home fries - and .... - DAMN - now I will have to take a run down on my no golf day to enjoy all of my favorites!!

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.