Prime Rib Question

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2017, 04:53 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Prime rib refers to the cut of meat. It is usually a single rib (and meat) cut from a standing rib roast, which comes from the posterior 6th-12th ribs.

USDA Prime is a grade of meat. Most Prime grade meat is bought by high end restaurants and steak houses, although Omaha steaks advertises prime beef on line. You are unlikely to get prime grade at a mid range or lower cost restaurant. First of all, it is somewhat hard to get, and expensive even for a restaurant. Second, they probably couldn't sell it----would you pay $45 for a steak at a local "Diner, drive-in, or dive"??? (No offense to Guy Fieri's new establishment)
There was a restaurant outside of Utica NY. I was acquainted with the owner and his cousin an attorney. the resaurant served family style and his prime for each person was a double cut ( 2 bone). today that cut would last me at least two meals
Old 08-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Frugal me knows this. A decent chuck roast flavored nicely and cooked low and slow in a dutch oven can be very yummy indeed and succulent and toothsome and tender.

A decent chuck roast of a size that served six people a couple of weeks ago cost $19 dollars at Publix.

They are going to have to put a financing kiosk near the meat section soon.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:51 PM

We had the "Prime Rib Special" last Thursday at Cane Garden. It was NOT tender - it felt like "dairy cow special". We moved here recently, from Houston, and while we are NOT rich, have switched to "Choice" beef some time ago. Cane Garden most likely uses "Select" beef - at least for their "specials". Sadly, most grocery stores do not state specifically what grade of beef they are selling. (Sometimes they do.) CEG
Old 08-24-2017, 04:18 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Restaurants usually by "Select" grade. That's the grade below "Choice".
Skip
So after all this discussion it would appear the wisest choice at restaurants in the area is forget the prime get the burger and fries
Old 08-24-2017, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Prime rib is a specific "cut" within a beef fore quarter.
That "cut" is also found in all the different "grades" of beef.

The higher the grade the more fat externally as well as the more marbling (fine streak of fat though the various "cuts"). The more marbling the more intense the flavor and the NATURAL tenderness.

Select is the leanest exterior and almost no marbling within a cut. Hence the least flavorful and is the cheapest.

Most markets sell choice which can vary a lot but is almost always better than select.

One needs to be careful when responding with joy when the is a cheaper than normal price per pound......read the label it is usually a lower than normal grade.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:37 PM
Sage

i Normally cook a standing rib roast\ on our Green Egg @ 225, until the internal temp reaches 215, then I wrap it in heavy foil, then in towels and place in a cooler to set for at least an hour- then its great fresh horse radish and corn wonderful
Old 08-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Veteran member

OK, after all the talk about Prime rib my mouth is watering. Were can you get a real good steak cane gardens was good but not great.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:12 PM
Sage

Honestly, the only place to get a really good steak in the Villages is in your house--Buy a good piece of prime steak and cook it,its not rocket science-Sam's sells prime,now

We go out to eat , for meals that we don't care to engineer at home, such s fish and oriental meals-____steaks ,chops and burgers its a no brainer --we can easily do much better than the best restaurants inTV get you're cooking surface real hot sear the meat, cook it till its @ 115 , tent it for 10 minutes--good to go
Old 08-25-2017, 01:48 AM
Veteran member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I would highly doubt cane Garden or most other local resturants serve USDA "Prime" beef. Prime rib as you see it on the menu is a type of cut of beef...not the quality. ...that said, sounds like you really enjoyed your meal at Cane Garden!
Sorry, Caroline, but the word "prime" refers to the quality of a piece of beef, not the cut.
If what you said was true, there would be more than one type of prime rib, and there isn't.
Prime rib by any other name is prime rib.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:15 AM
Veteran member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
You seem very knowledgeable about this, slipcovers. Back a few decades ago, Prime rib roast was a standing rib roast of a prime cut of meat. In a restaurant, a slab of meat called prime rib was cut from that. I think somewhere along the line people started referring to the roast or slab as prime rib even if it wasn't a prime grade.

Am I anywhere near correct?
You are very correct!

Some decades ago, and I don't recall how long it's been, what was called choice then, has become prime now.
And while prime rib can be very tender, it is not one of the cuts of meat that is known to be "prime" by definition.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:41 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I went to Bonefish ordered sea scallops and when they arrived they were small circular cuts. what they called sea scallops we probably something else. same applied to grouper, etc. My point is that restaurants are known to be deceptive. such as there usually no difference between a bowl and a cup of soup ...........

As a kid we had veal three times a week. Today you have to float a loan to get a good cut of veal.

Be wary of elitist food stores, restaurants, etc because "elitist theme" inflates price beyond value . While I count I am not going to let advertising fool me into believing that I am that important
Old 08-25-2017, 06:51 AM

The best cut of beef is the tenderloin. That's because it has very low muscle content, if any. The same with pork.

An animal is only as good as what it has been fed.

USDA food safety recommendation is preheat oven to 450, cook for 15 min, then 325 deg. The reason for initial high heat is when you place a cold meat in it reduces oven temp. 250 is way to low for food safety.

Last edited by slipcovers; 08-25-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipcovers View Post
The best cut of beef is the tenderloin. ...
That depends on whose criteria you're using. It is the most tender, but I don't consider it the tastiest.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Maybe this will help:

USDA Beef Grades and How They Are Determined
Old 08-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
That depends on whose criteria you're using. It is the most tender, but I don't consider it the tastiest.
I hate to say this, but most of the tastiest beef is the worst for you in terms of the most cholesterol.
In addition, anything "bone in" seems to have more flavor, also.

Regardless of the health factor, most of us will continue eating our most favorite cut of beef, regardless.

Tags
prime, rib, question, usda, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.