Quiet Romantic Dining Recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2019, 11:37 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

There are few around I like for different reasons. Little Italy Deli in Inverness (dinner only Friday and Saturday) Fun place and very authentic Italian. La Cuisine in Ocala, very nice french bistro, Chathams Place in Orlando, great food and wine list, Berns in Tampa, Goblin Market in Mt Dora, these meet my criteria for good food and nice places. I find Mark's Prime in Ocala to be very noisy and like Harry's much better. Sky Fusion is also very good.

What is so sad that of the 120 or so restaurants in The Villages there is not one that for me rates above mediocre. There are a hand full I will go to, but nothing that even comes close to being really good. That is probably my biggest disappointment with The Villages.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:55 AM
Sage

Forgot about the Goblin Mkt, very good but the distance is out of our comfort zone, because we enjoy a cocktail or ,two
Old 08-23-2019, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Yup, we too have two, which is why we sometimes have a romantic diner at home, but it is nice to let someone else cook occasionally and our best wine at home typically comes in boxes
Turner's in Leesburg only has two tables that will seat six, because they mean to keep it quiet and peaceful. Many Villagers don't like that because they like to dine in groups. You can make a reservation for two or four. I'm not even sure they will take a rez for six. So you are guaranteed quiet there. It's not what I would call exactly elegant, but a nice setting and the food is good. There are better restaurants of the kind you are looking for over on the Gulf Coast, but that's pretty much a two-hour drive.

However, I'll come over and sit with those big guys when you want a break. No charge.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:14 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

About an hours drive to Orlando you have a plethora of fine dining establishments. One of my favorites over the years is Christini's off Dr. Phillips. It's in a strip mall ( so one size does fit all) along with Morton's. Excellent classic Italian. True story: a few years ago, we dined there before going to watch the Final Four Championship game. I had on my team shirt(white) and a waiter spilled a wonderful Antinori red on it. The owner came over, got me a shirt to wear ( Hugo Boss), while his daughter took my wine stained shirt home to wash! Now that's service! They made me a customer for life.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

While in the Army I spent a little over 9 years in Germany. In Germany there are gasthauses and restaurants. A gasthaus is a lot like a US bar and grill, informal and can be a bit noisy. The menu selection is limited but the food is very good. A restaurant is more refined in that you have clean linen tablecloths and cloth napkins, and the décor and atmosphere is usually very nice. They aren't noisy, and boisterous people are asked to tone it down or leave. The prices aren't cheap but not expensive either. Yes there some very expensive restaurants there but we preferred the smaller owner operated ones with limited seating capacity. My wife and I really miss that type of dining in the US. To get that here you have to go to a larger city and have to eat beans and rice for a month to make up for what you paid for that one meal. I guess there just aren't enough people looking for that kind of dining experience in the US for a restaurant like that to be able to stay in business.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
While in the Army I spent a little over 9 years in Germany. In Germany there are gasthauses and restaurants. A gasthaus is a lot like a US bar and grill, informal and can be a bit noisy. The menu selection is limited but the food is very good. A restaurant is more refined in that you have clean linen tablecloths and cloth napkins, and the décor and atmosphere is usually very nice. They aren't noisy, and boisterous people are asked to tone it down or leave. The prices aren't cheap but not expensive either. Yes there some very expensive restaurants there but we preferred the smaller owner operated ones with limited seating capacity. My wife and I really miss that type of dining in the US. To get that here you have to go to a larger city and have to eat beans and rice for a month to make up for what you paid for that one meal. I guess there just aren't enough people looking for that kind of dining experience in the US for a restaurant like that to be able to stay in business.
I in part agree with you on your post, however, Legacy Restaurant has what these people are looking for. Actually " Cody's " IMO is very close to a " Gasthaus ", as you described.

Last edited by 600th Photo Sq; 08-24-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:15 AM

Your own home at your own dining room table with your own music with your own steak from your own grill made by your own hands with or without your favorite people creating your own atmosphere. Nothing Better!
Old 08-24-2019, 06:26 AM

Except that you have to go to the store and buy everything, prepare it, cook it, and then clean it all up. Not the same.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

I can't help but laugh at the recommended "Quiet" restaurants. There are no quiet restaurants in TV. There are some great restaurants in TV, but they are not romantic, intimate, or quiet. I can give you some really good suggestions, but, you have to drive at least 40 min to one hour. Just my opinion..

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."
Old 08-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

So, what is this LOPEZ you're talking about. Is that the Nancy Lopez country club?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-24-2019, 01:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
So, what is this LOPEZ you're talking about. Is that the Nancy Lopez country club?
It " Was " Nancy Lopez Restaurant " however it is now referred to as LEGACY Restaurant since the Suleiman Family took over the lease.

My mistake referring to it as Lopez. Tel 352- 753-1475
Old 08-25-2019, 11:04 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
It " Was " Nancy Lopez Restaurant " however it is now referred to as LEGACY Restaurant since the Suleiman Family took over the lease.

My mistake referring to it as Lopez. Tel 352- 753-1475
It was never the "Nancy Lopez Restaurant". It started as Lopez Legacy but Nancy took her name off it only months after it was open. I presume for liability reasons. John McDonough, owner, had to have menus, license, website and signage changed a long time ago. It's been just "Legacy Restaurant" for many years. Still is.
She licenses her name, and gets a fee, for the Country Club part only, which is separate from the restaurant business.

Skip
Old 08-25-2019, 11:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
It was never the "Nancy Lopez Restaurant". It started as Lopez Legacy but Nancy took her name off it only months after it was open. I presume for liability reasons. John McDonough, owner, had to have menus, license, website and signage changed a long time ago. It's been just "Legacy Restaurant" for many years. Still is.
She licenses her name, and gets a fee, for the Country Club part only, which is separate from the restaurant business.

Skip
For geographical clarity it has long been known as The Legacy at Nancy Lopez CC.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

This nit picking has to stop!

It's always been Lopez to us!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-25-2019, 07:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Skip
OK I stand corrected...The bottom line since the take over the " New " Owners have now made it an outstanding place to go for a quiet pleasant evening out.

PS: I have nothing to gain from my opinion of this restaurant.
Closed Thread

Tags
quiet, lit, candle, dinner, dying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.