Rack of ribs

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2020, 09:45 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Rack of ribs

Never have tried grilling a rack of ribs before. Decided to try. Bought a St Louis Style rack.

Spent about an hour creating brine to soak overnight, grilled for hours, and all I can say is OK, but next time back to Oakwood. I would guess that there is a good technique if you have the experience. But for several times a year , why waste the time for OK.

Good learning experience.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

That's part of the challenge of cooking.....but you really need to enjoy it. The key to most is the seasoning and that may require trying different recipes from various sources. My go to is America's Test Kitchen but it is a subscription service. There are free sites, contributing sites etc but cooking is a journey of experimentation.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-27-2020, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

I have seen racks of ribs in the grocery store that are in a plastic bag and ready to just heat up. I don't know if they are any good.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:44 PM
Gold member

Buy a rack of pork ribs... Publix or the fresh market... remove the thin membrane skin on the bone side. Do a dry rub of your favorite spices. I use garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, garlic pepper...coat both sides. Place rack on a sheet of foil and loosely wrap a good seal. 500 degree oven ...make sure it is fully preheated.. bake for 1 hr..turn oven off DO NOT OPEN OVEN ....leave in oven even after the 1 hr of baking until it’s time to eat. The best other than Oakwood
Old 07-28-2020, 05:17 AM
Default Ribs

OR THE RIBS: (From the New York Times)
2 racks baby back ribs (2 to 2 1/2 pounds each)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
FOR THE RUB:
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
¼ teaspoon celery seeds
FOR GRILLING:
2 large or 4 small hardwood chunks or 3 cups hardwood chips (if using the latter, soak in water to cover for 30 minutes, then drain)
½ cup apple cider in a spray bottle (optional)
FOR THE CHIPOTLE-BOURBON BARBECUE SAUCE:
1 ¼ cups ketchup
? cup Thai sweet chile sauce
¼ cup bourbon
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles en adobo, minced, plus 1 to 2 teaspoons sauce
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon liquid smoke
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add to Your Grocery List
Ingredient Substitution Guide

PREPARATION
Place the ribs on a rimmed baking sheet. If the concave side of your ribs still has its papery membrane intact, remove it: Pry it up at the end of the bones using the tip of a meat thermometer or butter knife, then pull it off with a paper towel. Lightly brush the ribs on both sides with the mustard.
Prepare the rub: In a small bowl, combine the chile powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper and celery seeds. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons rub for serving, then sprinkle the remaining rub on the ribs, coating both sides.
Set up your charcoal grill for indirect grilling and heat to 300 degrees.
Once the grill comes to temperature, add half the wood chunks or chips to the coals. Arrange the ribs meat (rounded) side up on the grate away from the heat, then cover the grill. Grill the ribs over indirect heat for 1 hour.
After the ribs have grilled for 1 hour, spray on both sides with apple cider (if using), turning the ribs with tongs. Add the remaining wood chunks or chips to the fire and close the grill again.
While the ribs grill, prepare the barbecue sauce: Place all the sauce ingredients, along with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, in a heavy saucepan and whisk to mix. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking often. Reduce the heat and gently simmer the sauce, uncovered, until thick and richly flavored, 6 to 8 minutes. Correct the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper to taste; set aside. (Makes about 2 cups.)
Continue grilling the ribs over indirect heat, rounded side up, until sizzling, browned, tender, and the meat has shrunk back from the ends of the bones by 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This normally takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours in all, but sometimes you’ll need a full 3 hours. The last 20 minutes, brush the ribs on both sides with some of the barbecue sauce. When ready, the meat should be tender enough so you can pull the individual ribs apart with your fingers.
Brush each rack on both sides with more barbecue sauce. Move each rack directly over the fire and direct grill to sizzle the sauce into the meat, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
Transfer the ribs to a platter for serving. Brush once more with barbecue sauce and sprinkle the ribs with the remaining rub. Serve the remaining sauce in a bowl on the side.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:53 AM

I use the oven baked recipe from "Delish oven baked ribs" slow cooked on low for 2-3 hours. Then finish on the grill.

The st Louis are cheaper but baby back are better and less fat.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
Buy a rack of pork ribs... Publix or the fresh market... remove the thin membrane skin on the bone side. Do a dry rub of your favorite spices. I use garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, garlic pepper...coat both sides. Place rack on a sheet of foil and loosely wrap a good seal. 500 degree oven ...make sure it is fully preheated.. bake for 1 hr..turn oven off DO NOT OPEN OVEN ....leave in oven even after the 1 hr of baking until it’s time to eat. The best other than Oakwood

I use a similar method....the recipe came with a weber grill we bought years ago.
Ditto on removing the membrane...I cut the rack in half and double wrap in aluminum foil. My dry rub is a little different...I add smoked paprika...keep the grille at 375-400, cover down with indirect heat, turn the foil package over once. Remove from the heat, let cool, apply BBQ sauce (I'm made my own, but usually use Sweet Baby Rays) and put them back on the grille for a few minutes each side. Meat just falls off the bone. We prefer the baby back ribs and get them at BJ's in Clermont

(note: when it's been raining too hard to use the outdoor grille we have used the oven...it seems to take a longer cooking time in the oven so I'd add another 20 minutes)
Old 07-28-2020, 06:38 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
FOR THE RUB:
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
¼ teaspoon celery seeds
FOR GRILLING:
2 large or 4 small hardwood chunks or 3 cups hardwood chips (if using the latter, soak in water to cover for 30 minutes, then drain)
1 ¼ cups ketchup
¼ cup bourbon
3 tablespoons molasses
½ teaspoon liquid smoke
Add to Your Grocery List

PREPARATION
Place the ribs on a rimmed baking sheet. If the concave side of your ribs still has its papery membrane intact, remove it: Pry it up at the end of the bones using the tip of a meat thermometer or butter knife, then pull it off with a paper towel. Lightly brush the ribs on both sides with the mustard.
Prepare the rub: In a small bowl, combine the chile powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper and celery seeds. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons rub for serving, then sprinkle the remaining rub on the ribs, coating both sides.
Once the grill comes to temperature, add half the wood chunks or chips to the coals. Arrange the ribs meat (rounded) side up on the grate away from the heat, then cover the grill. Grill the ribs over indirect heat for 1 hour.
After the ribs have grilled for 1 hour, spray on both sides with apple cider (if using), turning the ribs with tongs. Add the remaining wood chunks or chips to the fire and close the grill again.
While the ribs grill, prepare the barbecue sauce: Place all the sauce ingredients, along with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, in a heavy saucepan and whisk to mix. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking often. Reduce the heat and gently simmer the sauce, uncovered, until thick and richly flavored, 6 to 8 minutes. Correct the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper to taste; set aside. (Makes about 2 cups.)
Continue grilling the ribs over indirect heat, rounded side up, until sizzling, browned, tender, and the meat has shrunk back from the ends of the bones by 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This normally takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours in all, but sometimes you’ll need a full 3 hours. The last 20 minutes, brush the ribs on both sides with some of the barbecue sauce. When ready, the meat should be tender enough so you can pull the individual ribs apart with your fingers.
Brush each rack on both sides with more barbecue sauce. Move each rack directly over the fire and direct grill to sizzle the sauce into the meat, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
Transfer the ribs to a platter for serving. Brush once more with barbecue sauce and sprinkle the ribs with the remaining rub. Serve the remaining sauce in a bowl on the side.
Looks good but too much work, will go to Oak Wood
Old 07-28-2020, 08:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
FOR THE RUB:
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
¼ teaspoon celery seeds
FOR GRILLING:
1 ¼ cups ketchup
¼ cup bourbon
3 tablespoons molasses
½ teaspoon liquid smoke
Add to Your Grocery List

PREPARATION
I think it’s worth the drive to Oakwood and pay the $13.99 for their rack w/ 2 sides. Being raised in the South, I’ve eaten a lot of ribs and Oakwood’s are ranked up there with the best.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:00 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

FWIW.. and IMHO:
Baby Backs are better than St Louis - less fatty
It sounds easy to cut out that membrane, but its frustrating, and I haven;t seen a difference in end product.
Get a roasting pan.. first rub the rack lightly with some olive oil .. Then take your favorite dry rub - either made from scratch or pre made in grocery store - cooks choice - and plaster the ribs with the rub.. place meat side up on rack that goes in pan
Put 1 1/2 cups of Apple cider, or apple cider vinegar (NOT JUICE) into the pan AND 1 cup water
Wrap aluminum foil tightly around pan. Put ran in oven that is preheated to 325 for 2 hours.. Take out of oven and let sit for one hour ..
Get your grill to medium heat and have your favorite Sweet baby Rays sauce handy.
Take ribs off rack, slather the wet sauce on the ribs, and cook for about 20-24 minutes, flipping and slathering every 5 minutes.
Enjoy, if you;re not too drunk from the beer you drank through this process ..
Let me know how it goes
Old 07-29-2020, 08:21 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

As one who has tried to cook ribs many different ways over the years, I finally found a foolproof method that turns out fall off the bone, broke da mouth, baby back ribs. Fresh market has Prime ribs and often runs a buy one pound get one free promo. So:

Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. I use a paper towel and start at whatever is the easiest end point and pull from there. Then dry seasoning as follows: (good for a 3 lb rack)
1 Tbs Brown Sugar
1 Tbs Garlic Powder
1Tbs Onion Powder
1Tbs Kosher Salt
1Tbs Smoked Paprika
1Tsp Black Pepper

Rub both sides of the rib rack with the dry rub, wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight. Next day, heat oven to 275 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and rewrap ribs in foil. Place on baking pan and bake for 4 hours. Switch oven to broil, uncover ribs, and baste with your favorite BBQ sauce. Broil for 10 minutes or until sauce starts to caramelize. Serve. Your mouth will thank you.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Never have tried grilling a rack of ribs before. Decided to try. Bought a St Louis Style rack.

Spent about an hour creating brine to soak overnight, grilled for hours, and all I can say is OK, but next time back to Oakwood. I would guess that there is a good technique if you have the experience. But for several times a year , why waste the time for OK.

Good learning experience.
When I fix pork ribs at home, I put them in a Dutch Oven, (A larger pot with a tightly fitted lid) with less than a cup of water and I bake them at 325 slow and low for about three hours and then I take the cover off and stir together and add these ingredients; Quite a bit of catsup, squirt or two of mustard, slog of Worcestershire sauce, couple of tablespoons of vinegar, more than a half a cup of brown sugar and a tiny bit of soy sauce and I spread that all over them and cook them for another half an hour. This causes the meat to be falling off the bone tender and the sweet sauce to engage with it. We like it. Never a morsel left if we have company.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
FWIW.. and IMHO:
Baby Backs are better than St Louis - less fatty
It sounds easy to cut out that membrane, but its frustrating, and I haven;t seen a difference in end product.
Get a roasting pan.. first rub the rack lightly with some olive oil .. Then take your favorite dry rub - either made from scratch or pre made in grocery store - cooks choice - and plaster the ribs with the rub.. place meat side up on rack that goes in pan
Put 1 1/2 cups of Apple cider, or apple cider vinegar (NOT JUICE) into the pan AND 1 cup water
Wrap aluminum foil tightly around pan. Put ran in oven that is preheated to 325 for 2 hours.. Take out of oven and let sit for one hour ..
Get your grill to medium heat and have your favorite Sweet baby Rays sauce handy.
Take ribs off rack, slather the wet sauce on the ribs, and cook for about 20-24 minutes, flipping and slathering every 5 minutes.
Enjoy, if you;re not too drunk from the beer you drank through this process ..
Let me know how it goes
pulling that membrane off can be a bit of a challenge. I use a sharp knife to get underneath it at one end and then I can pull it off in one strip (but it doesn't come easy that's for sure)...a couple of times I've thought of using a pair of plyers LOL
Old 07-30-2020, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Ribs need to be slow cook over low heat for hours, not grilled. I found that the best way is to place them in BBQ sauce in the oven for 6-8 hours. I would toss them on the grill for a few minutes after but the main cooking is done in the oven.

A lot of people don't know the difference between grilling and barbecuing.

Grilling is high heat short time. BBQ is low heat long time.

Where I come from, people wrongly use the terms interchangeably.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:33 AM

Fool proof: baby back, trim, bake 3 hours at 325 deg, put on grill low heat, sweet baby rays brush on, 15 mins each side on low heat til sauce is caramelized, enjoy. Simple
Closed Thread

Tags
rack, time, good, experience, ribs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.