Raw Vegetables

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2023, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Raw Vegetables

I noticed what seems to be a trend in restaurants these days to serve vegetables raw or almost raw. I know that there are some people that like their vegetables crunchy but I like them well cooked.
I had a veggie pizza a few days ago at Roberto's. I've always liked Roberto's but never had had their pizza. The pizza was fine but I was very disappointed that the bell peppers and onions were basically raw. Other pizza places pre cook the vegetables before they put the pizza in the oven.
As I said, this seems to be the norm in restaurants. Has anyone else noticed this trend.
And no, I didn't send it back, we already waited long enough and I didn't want to keep my fellow diners waiting. And no, I didn't report it to the manager because I just assumed that this is the way that they serve vegetables.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:51 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I noticed what seems to be a trend in restaurants these days to serve vegetables raw or almost raw. I know that there are some people that like their vegetables crunchy but I like them well cooked.
I had a veggie pizza a few days ago at Roberto's. I've always liked Roberto's but never had had their pizza. The pizza was fine but I was very disappointed that the bell peppers and onions were basically raw. Other pizza places pre cook the vegetables before they put the pizza in the oven.
As I said, this seems to be the norm in restaurants. Has anyone else noticed this trend.
And no, I didn't send it back, we already waited long enough and I didn't want to keep my fellow diners waiting. And no, I didn't report it to the manager because I just assumed that this is the way that they serve vegetables.
Yes I have noticed this also. We went to a Michelin star restaurant and the veggies were very crunchy. It does seem to be a new trend.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:02 AM
Sage

Actually "crunchy" is how chef's will prep them for food. Cooking them to mush might be easier for some to chew etc. but their benefit nutricianally is lost with over-cooking.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Actually "crunchy" is how chef's will prep them for food. Cooking them to mush might be easier for some to chew etc. but their benefit nutricianally is lost with over-cooking.
I know that’s true but I still agree that we are seeing it more recently.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I probably cook a bit over crunchy but not much. Otherwise very little taste
Old 05-18-2023, 11:05 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

My father wore dentures and during my teens so did my mother. She way overcooked veggies, especially broccoli and cauliflower, to the point at which I gagged on them. Of course much if not most of the nutritional value went down the sink with the water she boiled them in as she did not steam them. Fortunately I spent a lot of time with a grandmother and aunt in California, both nurses, who knew a lot about nutrition. They steamed those vegetables, not overcooking them, and I came to enjoy their flavor and slight crispiness. Today I enjoy them raw.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-19-2023, 12:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Other pizza places pre cook the vegetables before they put the pizza in the oven.
Feels like an inaccurate statement unless there's some insane place around here doing that.

I've worked in multiple pizza places. There's zero need to pre cook any of the toppings in a proper convection 800 degree pizza oven. Trust me, 5 mins at 800 degrees will cook up all the toppings just plenty. I can't imagine any benefit for a pizza place to precook any of the main toppings (mushrooms can be an exception).

I haven't been to Roberto's, do they perhaps have wood fired pizza where the top isn't getting as much heat and they didn't broil it?
Old 05-19-2023, 02:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

The only veg that should be over cooked, is Mushy Peas.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:22 AM
Veteran member

The Italian term for this is al dente which means to the tooth- it saves time is healthier and some would say tastes better.

So much better than mushy vegetables.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:49 AM

I like my veggies cooked/steamed but not mushy. My theory is that meals can be served faster. We should now ask servers how the restaurant cooks vegetables before ordering similar when ordering a steak.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Feels like an inaccurate statement unless there's some insane place around here doing that.

I've worked in multiple pizza places. There's zero need to pre cook any of the toppings in a proper convection 800 degree pizza oven. Trust me, 5 mins at 800 degrees will cook up all the toppings just plenty. I can't imagine any benefit for a pizza place to precook any of the main toppings (mushrooms can be an exception).

I haven't been to Roberto's, do they perhaps have wood fired pizza where the top isn't getting as much heat and they didn't broil it?
Vegetables contain a lot of water. I have found that they can sometimes make a crisp pizza skin soggy. I tend to precook mushrooms and onions(when I'm not too lazy).

But I only cook at about 600F. I can't balance the top/bottom heat at higher temps.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:56 AM

A pet peeve of mine. I have never had good vegetables at any restaurant almost anywhere. I cook and like my veggies cooked and SEASONED.THe steaks are seasoned, the mashed potatoes but never the veggies. If I want raw veggies I'll order a salad!
Old 05-19-2023, 06:56 AM
Default Veggies

Quote:
Crunchy vegetables are pretty much the norm in restaurants today. I agree with you that they are too crunchy. This is not a question of what is healthy, I like my cooked vegetables softer than raw.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Sometimes I prefer my veggies al dente but when the rest sends them out cold with a bit of olive oil on them, and more crunchy than cooked, I don't care for them. I've had this situation too, and I don't like it. If I want salad I will order salad. I do not care about what is good for me when I eat out. I am out to enjoy the food and company. Kinda old to be worrying about eating healthy now. Besides, my parents lived well into their 90's eating and drinking exactly as they pleased, not worrying about eating healthy. So, NO I do not enjoy eating raw veggies with my meal unless I order them that way in salad.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

My mil used to cook veggies until they cried out for mercy. She never understood why I liked them with a bit of taste.
Closed Thread

Tags
pizza, vegetables, raw, trend, noticed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.