recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2015, 02:41 AM
Gold member

We don't mind going to chains. We enjoy Bonefish, Cody's, Outback as well as Riccardi's, City Fire and the CC's located south of 466A. We have found Nancy Lopez, Arnold Palmer to be more "fine dining".

But wherever we go during the winter, we go early (4pm) or go late (7:30-8:00) This is a retirement community and the happy hour 5:00 to 6:00 crowds are long and the restaurants can be quite loud. Service can also be more inconsistent this time of year.

Just our impressions.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:31 AM
Default recommendations

Hemingway's at Havana Country Club has very good seafood. The Japanese Steakhouse in Lake Sumter Landing has excellent sushi. And I loved the steak salad I had at World of Beer in Brownwood.

Last edited by pbkmaine; 02-22-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleeh View Post
I remain puzzled as to why well prepared, by my definition of the phrase, food cost more. Again, my definition of well-prepared food is not greasy; not overly ladened with sauce; not cold when it is supposed to be hot; no soggy over cooked veggies; veggies other than iceberg lettuce; not over or undercooked. And as an added plus for what I consider a "good" restaurant, attentive but not hovering service and clean environment.
The restaurant industry has gone through a major change in some areas.

Back home our Country Club had a chef who was very good. He and his staff shopped and chopped and sautéed and presented...wonderful food. Very high prices. It stopped. People eat out more now, and they watch their money.

Many restaurants buy premade entree's and make a lot of semi-homemade to keep the cost low-er. One has to PAY for the chopping and the shopping and the real expertise of cooking to just right and keeping it hot. You cannot hire good cooks and not pay them for their skill.

It costs more money to have made from scratch meals at restaurants, and less money in our own homes.

You are welcome.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
my husband and I just completed a week lifestyle preview and we are sold on the community, but definitely not the restaurants we ate at while here. Granted we didn't eat out that much, but didn't have one really good meal out: We ate at toojays for breakfast i ordered poached eggs on english muffin. the eggs came like boiled out of the shell (hard and cold). Requested a redo and received them perfect. Lighthouse, had the shrimp over grits...won't order that again there...more sauce than either of the other two items. Margaritas in Spanish Springs: Fajitas. The tortillas where delivered to the table about 10 mins before receiving the chicken and the little bit of grilled peppers and onions and consequently were quite cool...the wine was good. Then had portobello sirloin at Longhorn Steakhouse...it was so sinuous, took it home for my dog, but the baked sweet potato was really good, baked just right...carmelized, not steamed in foil. The last place was the Country Club at MalloryHill (?) I had steamed mussels and another baked sweet potato (it was steamed in foil), but the mussels were good. This was our best dining experience. We are hopeful we just picked the bottom establishments and the best are yet to be experienced. We are not fans of fried, greasy, or cheese covered foods. Love beautifully prepared food of all (most) nationalities. Suggestions with why you like it would be most appreciated. Thanks.
dont come to the villages if you are only interested in good restaurants... we have so much more to offer.... go to the coast and pay for outrageous hurricane insurance but enjoy the seafood restaurants.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettymg1866 View Post
dont come to the villages if you are only interested in good restaurants... we have so much more to offer.... go to the coast and pay for outrageous hurricane insurance but enjoy the seafood restaurants.

Sorry. So wrong. Come to the TV for the things you enjoyed. There are plenty of good restaurants- from Ocala to Orlando & back to TV - to explore. It is true we have many chain restaurants here, but there are more that are not chains outside TV. Don't be afraid to explore.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We just returned from Ricciardi's in Brownwood. I know many people like the food there, but I have to say it was not very good tonight. My spouse had veal parm and it was overcooked and dry. My daughter had eggplant strata and she said it was very bland. I had shrimp scampi which I would never order again. It had a weird thick brownish colored sauce, not at all the like butter/oil/wine sauce that is generally served as a scampi sauce. It was unappetizing looking, and frankly tasted like slop. The service was great, we ate outside on the patio which was very pleasant, but the food left something to be desired. The pizzas looked good, and if we ever went back, I would consider ordering a pizza, but never a main entree again.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
Chefs of Napoli is very very good. There are several dishes at the Lighthouse we really like such as the butterfish and scallop salad. Arnold Palmer is excellent, especially their rack of lamb. Most of the other country clubs are adequate, not great. My lady pals & I really enjoy Tapas.
The Lighthouse food is superb but I cannot handle the acoustics. With all the clanging and noise I feel like I'm being beaten to death.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I pretty much love anything if I don't have to cook it or wash up after it. I do find that the meals I get at the various country club restaurants are typically the best I get when I go out. I particularly like Evans Prairie, Belle Glade, Havana, and Bonifay.
I like anything I don't have to unwrap.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
my husband and I just completed a week lifestyle preview and we are sold on the community, but definitely not the restaurants we ate at while here. Granted we didn't eat out that much, but didn't have one really good meal out: We ate at toojays for breakfast i ordered poached eggs on english muffin. the eggs came like boiled out of the shell (hard and cold). Requested a redo and received them perfect. Lighthouse, had the shrimp over grits...won't order that again there...more sauce than either of the other two items. Margaritas in Spanish Springs: Fajitas. The tortillas where delivered to the table about 10 mins before receiving the chicken and the little bit of grilled peppers and onions and consequently were quite cool...the wine was good. Then had portobello sirloin at Longhorn Steakhouse...it was so sinuous, took it home for my dog, but the baked sweet potato was really good, baked just right...carmelized, not steamed in foil. The last place was the Country Club at MalloryHill (?) I had steamed mussels and another baked sweet potato (it was steamed in foil), but the mussels were good. This was our best dining experience. We are hopeful we just picked the bottom establishments and the best are yet to be experienced. We are not fans of fried, greasy, or cheese covered foods. Love beautifully prepared food of all (most) nationalities. Suggestions with why you like it would be most appreciated. Thanks.
You were able to bring your dog to a lifestyle visit?
Old 03-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
The best seafood restaurants are in the Fl Keys. The Fishouse in Key Largo, mm - 102401. Fresh from the ocean. The Green Turtle Inn in Islamorada - mm 81. And on Cudjoe Key - mm 22.5 -The Square Grouper. Very reasonable. All excellent. But closer by...in Tarpon Springs we like Rusty Bellies. I realize all are kind of far but to get "fresh". Seafood you have to go to where the action is.
That's a five- to seven-hour drive!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2015, 08:53 PM
Gold member

There are plenty of "good" restaurants here.

I think the reason why you're not seeing many gourmet or fine dining restaurants here is because we are casual, not formal, here.

We're also practical about spending, AND we watch our caloric intake.

We don't eat big meals anymore. We graze, having small, mini-meals throughout the day. A full restaurant meal is too heavy for us.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Sage

I see The Villages as a retirement golf community with many golf options.

If you want great food options in The Villages, learn to cook or hire someone who can. It's cheaper and easier than buying golf courses where they have great restaurants in another community.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Sage

My choices are:

For breakfast, I like Billy's Cafe and Rae Rae's. Pancakes with apples on top at Billy's and the special omelette at Rae Rae's is excellent.

Lunch at Glenview CC.

Wednesday at Cody's, for the two for one fajita's. Fajita's are delicious and a great deal.

Onion rings for a snack are awesome, at World of Beer.

Special dinners are Bonefish and I go to Latinos Y Mas, for paella in Ocala, (25 to 30 minutes away).

Ate at the Chef's of Napoli once and thought it was very decent. I am of Italian descent but some people will not agree with this choice.

I like NYPD pizza and the pizza at Bravo's in LSL is good.

McAlisters is a good choice for deli food. Winn-Dixie deli, for a great cold cut hero!!!

Haven't eaten at Las Tapas and or Confessor Pasta Cuccina, (probably mangled the name), next to Rae Rae's, yet.

I am from New York but don't have a very picky palate and like food that doesn't bite back.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Sorry. So wrong. Come to the TV for the things you enjoyed. There are plenty of good restaurants- from Ocala to Orlando & back to TV - to explore. It is true we have many chain restaurants here, but there are more that are not chains outside TV. Don't be afraid to explore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine View Post
Hemingway's at Havana Country Club has very good seafood. The Japanese Steakhouse in Lake Sumter Landing has excellent sushi. And I loved the steak salad I had at World of Beer in Brownwood.

Thank you so much for your response to my request for recommendations...and not for saying "here's your hat, what's your hurry?" by some who took offense that I did not have a great dining experience at the FOUR, not forty restaurants we ate at during our lifestyle preview. So glad that most of the responders were as helpful as you. I quess The Villages is just like every other place on the planet...mostly occupied by good, caring, helpful people with a few who are not. Hope to see you at the next table.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettymg1866 View Post
May I ask you to quote where I stated that I was ONLY interested in "good restaurants" and that is why I am moving to TV?
Since you didn't provide me with any recommendations based on your own personal experience, I will conclude that you do not think there is a good place to eat in TV. But I do not accept that and many who have taken the time to respond with recommendations for what they consider to be "good" backs me up.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.