Reservations

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 AM

You can go online in advance and reserve a table at Ruby Tuesday.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Default Reservations.

For all new [under twenty years] people. We had O B Hills fine dining...tablecloths..no tee shirts. That ended. Cattle Baron was members only...that ended. Hacienda was very fine dining. Didn't last. We have also had a micro brewery...parades...festivals on the square...buffalo..etc. All ending for one reason or another.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Well....out here in "the bush league", we at least know how to SPELL "indiscriminate".

And, we'd call your indiscriminate snobbery "snotty".
Wow! Thanks for correcting the spelling error. I'm sure you also know the definition, done at random or without careful judgment, so it looks like you got the message despite the mispelling.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimball View Post
Wow! Thanks for correcting the spelling error. I'm sure you also know the definition, done at random or without careful judgment, so it looks like you got the message despite the mispelling.
Deep breaths. Let's try to correct this misunderstanding. Most of us feel a little hurt when a general statement is made that are tastes are indiscriminate. It seemed to me to mean that we lacked the ability to recognize and appreciate fine food and know the difference between excellent cuisine and mediocre perhaps because we hadn't been exposed to fine dining?

Perhaps I didn't understand and you meant something else entirely.

Here is the meaning I perceived;
dis·crim·i·nat·ing

/dɪˈskrɪmThe Villages FloridaəˌneɪThe Villages Floridatɪŋ/ Show Spelled [dih-skrim-uh-ney-ting] Show IPA
adjective 1. differentiating; analytical.

2. noting differences or distinctions with nicety; discerning; perspicacious: a discriminating interpreter of events.

3. having excellent taste or judgment: a discriminating interior designer.

4. differential, as a tariff.

5. possessing distinctive features; capable of being differentiated; discriminative.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Kimball: We sure did get your opinion and everybody has a right to their opinion. Your opinion about TV restaurants has left its mark! Just a thought----have you tried Nancy Lopez's bush league restaurant yet? We found it to be terrific----but that is just our opinion!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raen Dear View Post
Most of the "dining experiences" in TV seem pretty bush-league to me.
Restaurants in TV have to do a brisk business in order to survive. I think that most of us aren't looking for a "dining experience" each time we visit a restaurant. Many retirees go out to dinner several times a week. In general, they're looking for a comfortable and casual restaurant, and food that's tasty and inexpensive.

We personally enjoy Bonefish Grill, and they do take limited reservations, but I wouldn't call it fine dining. A lot of residents go off campus for special occasions, probably the best solution to those who seek a "dining experience".
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Kimball: We sure did get your opinion and everybody has a right to their opinion. Your opinion about TV restaurants has left its mark! Just a thought----have you tried Nancy Lopez's bush league restaurant yet? We found it to be terrific----but that is just our opinion!
Well done. The Legacy Restaurant is one of the few in the Villages that I think is worth going to.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Deep breaths. Let's try to correct this misunderstanding. Most of us feel a little hurt when a general statement is made that are tastes are indiscriminate. It seemed to me to mean that we lacked the ability to recognize and appreciate fine food and know the difference between excellent cuisine and mediocre perhaps because we hadn't been exposed to fine dining?

Perhaps I didn't understand and you meant something else entirely.

Here is the meaning I perceived;
dis·crim·i·nat·ing

/dɪˈskrɪmThe Villages FloridaəˌneɪThe Villages Floridatɪŋ/ Show Spelled [dih-skrim-uh-ney-ting] Show IPA
adjective 1. differentiating; analytical.

2. noting differences or distinctions with nicety; discerning; perspicacious: a discriminating interpreter of events.

3. having excellent taste or judgment: a discriminating interior designer.

4. differential, as a tariff.

5. possessing distinctive features; capable of being differentiated; discriminative.
My comments have nothing to do with either excellent cuisine or fine dining. What I'm saying is that many of the Villages Restaurants provide mediocre food and service. The fact that most are filled to overflowing in the Winter is amazing to me. Folks who continually frequent them simply display lower standards of what good food and service should be.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
My comments have nothing to do with either excellent cuisine or fine dining. What I'm saying is that many of the Villages Restaurants provide mediocre food and service. The fact that most are filled to overflowing in the Winter is amazing to me. Folks who continually frequent them simply display lower standards of what good food and service should be.
Well. The food may be not WONDERFUL but I think the service is very good almost everywhere here.

And you can count on at all of the country club restaurants for a very very good Angus cheeseburger served on a fresh bun and very tasty fries and excellent slaw. You can eat decently for less than ten dollars, so unusual in Florida for even junk. My favorites are The Lighthouse, their catfish and fries and slaw with mandarin orange and pineapple and sweet strong tea hit the spot last evening sitting out on the deck with a warm January sun.

I love the pizza at Mallory. I really like Cane Gardens Chicken with Brie and any soup and salad or soup and sandwich at Glenview is usually succulent, fresh and VERY good.

I think Toojays chicken livers in a cream sauce with chunks of onions served with mashed potatoes is the best of it's kind anywhere, anytime, and I say again that the service I receive is always wonderful.

I can't believe that when we go to Glenview three or four of the wait staff remember us and what we like and I know we have been there less than 25 times in five years.

I try to thank the servers and tell them how much I appreciate how hard it is to deal with the public at times. It doesn't get me any better food or any better service but it makes me feel better.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

I try to thank the servers and tell them how much I appreciate how hard it is to deal with the public at times. It doesn't get me any better food or any better service but it makes me feel better.
And more importantly, it makes them feel better. I think the food in The Villages is great and the servers do a wonderful job of dealing with people that may have waited a long time for their table. Eat, drink and be merry!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown View Post
For all new [under twenty years] people. We had O B Hills fine dining...tablecloths..no tee shirts. That ended. Cattle Baron was members only...that ended. Hacienda was very fine dining. Didn't last. We have also had a micro brewery...parades...festivals on the square...buffalo..etc. All ending for one reason or another.
Thanks for the history. 20 years in TV----you have really seen a lot of changes. So Hacienda tried fine dining but it didn't last. Perhaps ahead of the times.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Thanks for the history. 20 years in TV----you have really seen a lot of changes. So Hacienda tried fine dining but it didn't last. Perhaps ahead of the times.
I was told that some ten, twelve years ago that a jacket was required, white table cloths and higher prices were the norm there.

Apparently people voted with their wallets to have more casual and less expensive choices.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
I was told that some ten, twelve years ago that a jacket was required, white table cloths and higher prices were the norm there.

Apparently people voted with their wallets to have more casual and less expensive choices.
Exactly, Gracie, Retirees are as a general rule very sensitive regarding prices. Our days of increasing our incomes are over. Except for very special occasions, we just do not go for fine dining.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 AM
Default We are not going to quit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raen Dear View Post
What's up with the restaurants in The Villages. None of them seem to take reservations. I expect it from Carabbas and the Olive Garden -- they are, theoretically, fast food restaurants -- but the Country Clubs are -- and, again, theoretically -- white tablecloth. Most of the "dining experiences" in TV seem pretty bush-league to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post
Maybe The Villages is not the place for you. Most of us enjoy the casual, laid back atmosphere. After all, we're retired. If we have to wait 20 minutes for a table, who cares. We ate at Palmer Legends and they took reservations. Personally, I like to go to dinner when I get hungry, not at some preordained time that I have to plan my whole day around. Perhaps you should loosen up.
Quote:
Two thumbs up for your comments. Bush League defines most Villages Restaurants to a "T". Unfortunately, many fellow residents are so indescriminate that they don't have a clue what we are referring to.
Lucky for you to wait 20 minutes for a table, we had countless less than 5-minute meals for past five years.

Meal at some preordained time?

why not? ours first and second meal of the day are around 1:00 pm and 3:30pm,
if we ever miss them, we would have some little muffins or similar treat on later time of the day.

why are we so busy after all? well we are doing our best serving villagers and getting "bush-league" award for which we do not earn or deserve.

Sorry we do not take reservation nor are we a fine dining restaurant, but we do have "exceeding your expectation" as our goal in mind.

From time to time, people thank us with their kind words, gift and etc, for which we are really grateful.

Running a restaurant is tough business, we never call it quit because we have way many supporters; just can't letting them down.

People really enjoy our food, for that I would rate my restaurant a "S" as in "Success" instead of a "T", and whatever "T" is; for which I still don't get it. Again, thank you for all support and appreciation.

As I remember what my daughter say (who's attending TVCS ) "Always Do Our Best, Go Buffalo!"

Last edited by mmatcg; 01-31-2013 at 02:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-31-2013, 06:39 AM
Sage

Mmatcg: Thanks for taking the time to express your views regarding the state of the art of running a restaurant in TV. Your thoughts are well received by most of us. I think that I know your place of business----but then I can think of three or four that could be. Your daughter is very wise for her age----I'm betting that she is not only learning at The Charter School but from you as a great role model too. Don't quit---keep up the good work! You got it right----expectations+hard work=success.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.