Restaurant Discussion in TV

Restaurant Discussion in TV

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Restaurant Discussion in TV
  #1  
Old 04-29-2019, 08:13 AM
Madelaine Amee's Avatar
Madelaine Amee Madelaine Amee is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Villages North
Posts: 3,436
Default Restaurant Discussion in TV

I did not know what else to call this thread, so here goes .................... it seems to me that people of retirement age come to TV and see the opportunity to build a money making business, which many do. However, after a year or so when the business is profitable they want to get out and enjoy some retirement years. They sell the business to the next entrepreneur for a considerable sum of money and that person finds they are saddled immediately with debts. People hate change, customers hate change, they have become used to the same servers they have become used to the same owner/manager, they resist change. The new guy comes in and makes changes because he has to cut costs. Before he makes money he has to consider the rent and the percentage that TV takes off the top of his profit. If this new person is not familiar with the food industry etc., they are in for a world of hurt.

But, it can be done properly. Take Bonefish Grill .... great servers, good management, EXCELLENT FOOD, changes to the menu to keep things fresh and new items offered seasonally. I have seen people wait as long as an hour for a table and never stop smiling. They have provided a very chic sitting area outside and they have a great inside lounge area for waiting. The restaurant business done right. Now why the hxxx can't the rest of these would be restaurateurs follow this example.

It takes a lot of money, it takes knowledge of where to buy - but this can be learned, it takes willingness to work till you drop which many of these new owners do not want to do. They think they are buying a "going" business. The biggest case in my mind is what the new owner of Glenview did when he took over. He destroyed a great establishment and he did it almost overnight.
__________________
A people free to choose will always choose peace.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 04-29-2019, 08:53 AM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,844
Default

There is no secret to a successful restaurant.
In The Villages there are too many absentee owners. They think they can just hire the people and they have it made.

We all have our own examples of a successful restaurant either here or else where.

The Villages has an abundance of mediocre/absent ownership hence mediocre establishments staffed by employees who are untrained or don't care.

The continuous stream of eating establishment failures is no surprise.

So very unfortunate.
__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 04-29-2019, 09:04 AM
rustyp rustyp is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I did not know what else to call this thread, so here goes .................... it seems to me that people of retirement age come to TV and see the opportunity to build a money making business, which many do. However, after a year or so when the business is profitable they want to get out and enjoy some retirement years. They sell the business to the next entrepreneur for a considerable sum of money and that person finds they are saddled immediately with debts. People hate change, customers hate change, they have become used to the same servers they have become used to the same owner/manager, they resist change. The new guy comes in and makes changes because he has to cut costs. Before he makes money he has to consider the rent and the percentage that TV takes off the top of his profit. If this new person is not familiar with the food industry etc., they are in for a world of hurt.

But, it can be done properly. Take Bonefish Grill .... great servers, good management, EXCELLENT FOOD, changes to the menu to keep things fresh and new items offered seasonally. I have seen people wait as long as an hour for a table and never stop smiling. They have provided a very chic sitting area outside and they have a great inside lounge area for waiting. The restaurant business done right. Now why the hxxx can't the rest of these would be restaurateurs follow this example.

It takes a lot of money, it takes knowledge of where to buy - but this can be learned, it takes willingness to work till you drop which many of these new owners do not want to do. They think they are buying a "going" business. The biggest case in my mind is what the new owner of Glenview did when he took over. He destroyed a great establishment and he did it almost overnight.


He is the same owner of Hacienda CC which just closed Saturday. My two cents (which is not even worth that) is for TV not to rent to owners of multiple establishments. Limits our choice of foods and competition. Like having a block of McDonald's next to each other. Why? And by the way I do boycott several of the facilities that use this model especially the big 4 country clubs. For the life of me I don't see the attraction of mediocre food that is overpriced. For some here in TV that are not close to a town center I would guess it's more convenience than quality.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 AM
JGVillages JGVillages is online now
Veteran member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: TV Calumet Grove
Posts: 751
Default

You will not find another 125000+populated area that can make or break a business as fast as The Villages. A good example was Whisky Creek, formerly occupying the current Sonny’s in LSL. The original Whisky is in Port Charlotte FL and Villages Residents tried to duplicate that here. Very poor service and mediocre food quality out of the shoot. Word spread FAST and within months they were gone. As with any business you must have quality and service to succeed, but in The Villages your first impression will make you succeed or fail faster than almost anywhere else.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-29-2019, 11:41 AM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,379
Default

From what I remember, Glenview CC restaurant sure got alot of complaints before it was sold. Some of the new restaurant owners changed staff to control their loses, and as for absentee owners I don't know of very many. At least the non franchise restaurants seems to have owners who are involved in some capacity.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-29-2019, 12:02 PM
Madelaine Amee's Avatar
Madelaine Amee Madelaine Amee is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Villages North
Posts: 3,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
From what I remember, Glenview CC restaurant sure got alot of complaints before it was sold. Some of the new restaurant owners changed staff to control their loses, and as for absentee owners I don't know of very many. At least the non franchise restaurants seems to have owners who are involved in some capacity.
The original "renter" of Glenview had an excellent business. We would be there three times a week, sometimes more. We also ate in the main dining room for Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners, they were packed. His wait staff liked him and enjoyed working for him and the wait staff made great money on gratuities. Unfortunately due to age, he got out of Glenview and sold his other restaurant in Belleview. The winter seasonal people stood outside waiting to get in, but his regular customers kept his business going through the year and that was in the days when TV used to empty out in the summer. It was the go-to restaurant for people going to the theater at Savannah.
__________________
A people free to choose will always choose peace.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-29-2019, 12:33 PM
sunny70 sunny70 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 99
Default

We ate at Glenview last evening. We sat at the Bar as there was no one at the greeter's table in the Lobby. The Bartender was so much fun, and makes a mean Cosmo, sat the menu in front of us and then pointed out what they were out of! I had a Burger (delicious). I really hope that the new people taking over the Restaurant on May 1st will make it a "go to "place. Those of us who live north of 466 don't have a lot of options when it comes to a good place to eat. We have Lopez (which is great) and Franchesco's (which I love), but after that, not so much. Glenview could become our favorite place again, with the right management. It has all the makings of the most Beautiful Country Club in The Villages. The drive is gorgeous and the interior, with a bit of refurbishing, could have the feel of a High End Country Club! A friendly face at the Front door would be a good start! Taking reservations would also be a good step as those of us who support the Restaurants in The Villages all year around would actually like to be able to get in during Snowbird Season. Lopez has figured that out and offers reservations. I think as places like Glenview and Lopez are refurbished and run by someone who is on site, they are going to give the other "country clubs" a run for their money.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-29-2019, 12:34 PM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
The original "renter" of Glenview had an excellent business. We would be there three times a week, sometimes more. We also ate in the main dining room for Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners, they were packed. His wait staff liked him and enjoyed working for him and the wait staff made great money on gratuities. Unfortunately due to age, he got out of Glenview and sold his other restaurant in Belleview. The winter seasonal people stood outside waiting to get in, but his regular customers kept his business going through the year and that was in the days when TV used to empty out in the summer. It was the go-to restaurant for people going to the theater at Savannah.
I don't doubt what you say. I don't know the particulars like you do, I just seem to remember that things went south for that location, and many complained on here about it. I wish every restaurant here had great owners, staff, and delicious food. But, some restaurants are certainly better than others.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-29-2019, 01:46 PM
Madelaine Amee's Avatar
Madelaine Amee Madelaine Amee is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Villages North
Posts: 3,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny70 View Post
We ate at Glenview last evening. We sat at the Bar as there was no one at the greeter's table in the Lobby. The Bartender was so much fun, and makes a mean Cosmo, sat the menu in front of us and then pointed out what they were out of! I had a Burger (delicious). I really hope that the new people taking over the Restaurant on May 1st will make it a "go to "place. Those of us who live north of 466 don't have a lot of options when it comes to a good place to eat. We have Lopez (which is great) and Franchesco's (which I love), but after that, not so much. Glenview could become our favorite place again, with the right management. It has all the makings of the most Beautiful Country Club in The Villages. The drive is gorgeous and the interior, with a bit of refurbishing, could have the feel of a High End Country Club! A friendly face at the Front door would be a good start! Taking reservations would also be a good step as those of us who support the Restaurants in The Villages all year around would actually like to be able to get in during Snowbird Season. Lopez has figured that out and offers reservations. I think as places like Glenview and Lopez are refurbished and run by someone who is on site, they are going to give the other "country clubs" a run for their money.
I Like your post, feel exactly the same. In its glory days Glenview reminded us of one of the old Men Only Clubs that was hidden away in Boston, MA.
__________________
A people free to choose will always choose peace.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-29-2019, 09:00 PM
kcrazorbackfan's Avatar
kcrazorbackfan kcrazorbackfan is offline
Soaring Eagle member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 2,439
Default

And then there are there are those here that want a "fine dining" restaurant; it would probably close before the 1st months bills come due when they see what the pricing of the food and drink is.
__________________
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
business, money, takes, change, people

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.