Restaurant Diversity in The Bubble

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2022, 05:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRN_RI_FL View Post
We do Chinese take-out occasionally here in RI and there are 3-4 restaurants within a short drive. We find Koyame superior to the Chinese restaurants up here. I wish I could say there are other restaurants we prefer in The Villages over RI/MA/CT nearby restaurants but we haven’t found them yet.
Now understand that Koyame was sold about a year ago but we have not found any change in quality.

Rumor has it the previous ownership is in the process of opening a new restaurant and will definitely give it a try when we find out when and where.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I am moving to TV in a few months from Colorado, and can’t wait! I am the biggest cheerleader for TV here in Colorado, encouraging all my friends who are approaching retirement to book a lifestyle visit. There is one thing I’m going to miss when I move however. TV lacks the restaurant diversity I am used to. I eat out most meals (breakfast and dinner), and enjoy locally owned and ethnic restaurants. I completely stay away from fast food and any chain restaurants. I am an admitted “foodie” and also a pretty good cook myself. During my lifestyle visit, I checked out all the highest rated restaurants based on Yelp reviews. I thought Harvest/Blue Fin/Chop house were all “OK”, as well as Thai Ruby. The Mexican and Chinese places were awful. (We have excellent Mexican here in the West). For the TV being so large, where are the Indian, Vietnamese, Korean, Greek, Cuban, Cajun, German restaurants? Where are the French bistros and Spanish tapas places? I was surprised how “meat and potatoes” and chain-restaurant heavy TV is. I guess I will need to drive to Orlando weekly for some restaurant diversity, or I will be cooking more at home myself. Please don’t think I am bashing the TV in anyway -I can’t want to move in a few months, but I will miss my restaurants.
Here's a list of places to dine in and near TV. Take it for what it's worth.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Restaurants in TV.pdf (461.0 KB, 119 views)
Old 08-17-2022, 06:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Here's a list of places to dine in and near TV. Take it for what it's worth.
Thank you for that list.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

The Villages Gourmet Club Restaurant Review Site

You may want to check this site out.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,315 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
I am moving to TV in a few months from Colorado, and can’t wait! I am the biggest cheerleader for TV here in Colorado, encouraging all my friends who are approaching retirement to book a lifestyle visit. There is one thing I’m going to miss when I move however. TV lacks the restaurant diversity I am used to. I eat out most meals (breakfast and dinner), and enjoy locally owned and ethnic restaurants. I completely stay away from fast food and any chain restaurants. I am an admitted “foodie” and also a pretty good cook myself. During my lifestyle visit, I checked out all the highest rated restaurants based on Yelp reviews. I thought Harvest/Blue Fin/Chop house were all “OK”, as well as Thai Ruby. The Mexican and Chinese places were awful. (We have excellent Mexican here in the West). For the TV being so large, where are the Indian, Vietnamese, Korean, Greek, Cuban, Cajun, German restaurants? Where are the French bistros and Spanish tapas places? I was surprised how “meat and potatoes” and chain-restaurant heavy TV is. I guess I will need to drive to Orlando weekly for some restaurant diversity, or I will be cooking more at home myself. Please don’t think I am bashing the TV in anyway -I can’t want to move in a few months, but I will miss my restaurants.
You don't say where you live in Colorado but if you have Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Korean, Greek, Cuban, Cajun, and German restaurants, I assume that you live in a fairly large metropolitan area. Most small towns do not have a lot of restaurant diversity. The population of Sumter County is only about 130,000. The Denver metro are is about 3,000,000. The Orlando metro area is about 2,500,000.

A lot of restaurant diversity is based on the local population. You get a lot of Cuban restaurants in Miami. Sumter County is about 84% white; 6% black; 6% hispanic; mixed 2%; and Asian and Pacific Islander are under 1%.

If you have a lot of ethnics living in your area, you will get more ethnic restaurants. I was in New York's Chinatown one time and the area was probably 90% Asian. Until we get a more diverse population (either in the Villages or the surrounding areas), I do not think we will get a lot of diverse restaurants.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
You don't say where you live in Colorado but if you have Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Korean, Greek, Cuban, Cajun, and German restaurants, I assume that you live in a fairly large metropolitan area. Most small towns do not have a lot of restaurant diversity. The population of Sumter County is only about 130,000. The Denver metro are is about 3,000,000. The Orlando metro area is about 2,500,000.

A lot of restaurant diversity is based on the local population. You get a lot of Cuban restaurants in Miami. Sumter County is about 84% white; 6% black; 6% hispanic; mixed 2%; and Asian and Pacific Islander are under 1%.

If you have a lot of ethnics living in your area, you will get more ethnic restaurants. I was in New York's Chinatown one time and the area was probably 90% Asian. Until we get a more diverse population (either in the Villages or the surrounding areas), I do not think we will get a lot of diverse restaurants.
Very true unless we become known as an area that likes ethnic food.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:14 AM

Came from the Denver area myself. Miss the metro area when it comes to restaurant quality so it is hit or miss here. Large turnover and few good "chefs". Just cooks here that change jobs frequently but there are some hidden spots. You'll find them. BTW if you have any health issues, do your research. The Denver area has far better alternatives than central Florida....I spent a full two years getting care that I'm happy with. Just saying
Old 08-21-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:

You don't move to Florida for the food
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurants, restaurant, diversity, places, miss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.