Restaurant labor shortages

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2021, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Yes, I have noticed that about people as they age or incompetence and quality goes down hill, and I call it "the rat syndrome", because their is no benefit in being nice anymore, its all for oneself in the rat race.

Lets just say i was like that over the weekend, and my wife was not happy with me, as it wasn't helpful when someone was trying to help me. . . of course I was made at the machine being programmed to go slower than I was.
That is not what she was saying.
She's the one tired of taking the crap. She's not an instigator, she's not walking around being miserable and ready to pounce. She's tired of people throwing crap at her and having to shut up and take it....now if someone throws she has the confidence and ability to respond back, and not necessarily nasty, just standing up to the crap the other miserable xxxxx is throwing. There is a difference.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaguey48 View Post
I am not vaccinated but I also have the antibodies as the results of my blood analysis show, and I don't begrudge anyone wearing a mask; that is their choice. We live in a free country.
What I do is treat everyone with dignity and respect and I don't let anger overcome me when I see someone being abusive. If someone is abusive towards me, I simply smile and move on. These people are not worthy of my time and attention. Let them be angry, I choose to be happy and kind towards others.
Anger is a sign of weakness and it's the punishment we give ourselves for someone else's mistake. What a concept.
Soooo...you are not vaccinated AND you don't wear a mask. Why? Just wondering. Not worried about catching it? Political? Don't trust the hospital system? Don't care about others?
Old 09-01-2021, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Hospital and Medical professionals should Not have to treat non- vaccinated people! Putting their lives on the line on a daily basis is why there is a mass exodus of Nurses....This pandemic is a Global Intelligence test that China has created!
I was with you 100%....until your last line.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
I'm sure getting paid more to stay home rather than going to work has something to do with it...human nature.

Nothing was said about unemployment..if that is what you were trying to say????
Old 09-01-2021, 07:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I didn't quit my job at Publix because of angry customers. Been in retail too long to let them get the best of me. Ugly is ugly whether there's a pandemic or not.

But it's definitely an upside to not having to work anymore. I can now stand up to ANYONE throwing that kind of abuse at me, without worrying about losing my job. You have a problem with me wearing a mask? Tough. You have a problem with me telling you to back the heck up if you're getting too close? Good luck with getting me to shut up about it. It'll just make me louder now. I never liked people breathing down my neck before the pandemic, you bet your sweet bippy I won't stand for it now.

You don't like me giving you dirty looks when you cough in the store, and don't cover your mouth? Well then next time, cover your damned mouth.

And yes I will be vocal about it now. Because I'm no longer being paid to care what anyone else thinks.

Adding - and if I'm in line and the person in front of me is abusing the cashier, calling them stupid just because they're trying to do their job - you better believe I'll be coming to that cashier's defense.
It would be wise of you to take mike Tyson’s advice. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth
Old 09-01-2021, 08:09 AM

I have antibodies and according to Israeli study 13x the fighting power of the “vaccine “ so why should I get it …. To make you happy ? What crap….,
Old 09-01-2021, 08:11 AM

I am a male. I tend to get ornery when I am hungry. I found out my patience level severely decreases when I have to wait an hour and a half after I have ordered to receive my plate. So now, I just don’t go to restaurants and eat at home. I have found that I also save a lot of money. I also get to tip myself 25%.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
I'm sure getting paid more to stay home rather than going to work has something to do with it...human nature.
This has already eneded in Florida. Will be interesting as to how this will affect the job market in TV. Personally I feel that there are a lot more better paying/better hour jobs availalble and the restaurant staff people are not coming back to restaurant business.

Time will tell.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Hospital and Medical professionals should Not have to treat non- vaccinated people! Putting their lives on the line on a daily basis is why there is a mass exodus of Nurses....This pandemic is a Global Intelligence test that China has created!
I agree, "hospital and medical professionals" should not have to treat sick or injured people...............
Old 09-01-2021, 08:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaguey48 View Post
I am not vaccinated but I also have the antibodies as the results of my blood analysis show, and I don't begrudge anyone wearing a mask; that is their choice. We live in a free country.
What I do is treat everyone with dignity and respect and I don't let anger overcome me when I see someone being abusive. If someone is abusive towards me, I simply smile and move on. These people are not worthy of my time and attention. Let them be angry, I choose to be happy and kind towards others.
Anger is a sign of weakness and it's the punishment we give ourselves for someone else's mistake. What a concept.
I agree. Anger is YOUR decision, not someone else's. No one can "make" you angry. Only you can choose to be angry. I have become impatient with servers but not angry. And even impatience is a choice of moods. No one has ever spoken rudely to me since I have been here. If you wish to allow yourself to get angry, try living overseas where no one understands the concept of standing in line to be served and any simple bureaucratic function seems to take forever. I have found that a smile when someone is rude to you, has a tendency to change their mood. I do not understand how so many retirees can be angry all the time. Seems to be nonproductive and unhealthy to me.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Just as there are plenty of places that don't understand the worth of an employee, there are also plenty of places that do treat workers with respect give them Fair wages and understand the value of a human body
And the employee is free to go elsewhere for a higher paying job, IF they are worth it. It is not the fault of the employer if they wish to make a profit. Most folks are paid more than they are worth anyway.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
Have you ever considered your failure to protect yourself and more importantly others, through vaccination, abusive to those unsuspecting people you come in contact with
Maybe folks need to protect themselves rather than expecting everyone else to do it for them? Apparently, you didn't understand it when the poster said they had the protection from contracting the illness. And as for wearing a mask, even medical professionals have been known to say that the ones being worn by most of the public are useless. So, if one wishes to be protected in public and not willing to protect themselves, then they should stay home.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:44 AM

It's not just recently that rudeness has been an issue. My son worked at Best Buy for some 15 years, mostly as a store manager. About four years ago he quit and went into a field where he didn't have to deal with the public in a retail setting. He loved his job, so why did he quit? The only reason: customers abused him and his staff.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Just as there are plenty of places that don't understand the worth of an employee, there are also plenty of places that do treat workers with respect give them Fair wages and understand the value of a human body
The point of the OP is not that workers aren't being treated fairly by employers. It's that they're no longer being treated fairly by customers.

You can pay me $20/hour for a cashier job at the supermarket, with full medical benefits and yearly dues at the local gym, company picnic, and monthly rewards. It won't make the job any easier to handle if the customers are abusive.

That's why people are leaving in droves. Customers are angrier than usual, they're expressing their anger more than usual, and the cashiers and other "front end" people have had it.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
It would be wise of you to take mike Tyson’s advice. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth
I've been walking my talk ever since I left my job. Haven't been punched yet. If you get in my face, expect me to tell you exactly what I think about it. Loudly.
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurant, points, posters, labor, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.