Restaurant labor shortages

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2021, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
I'm sure getting paid more to stay home rather than going to work has something to do with it...human nature.
That ceased to be a thing a couple of months ago. People on unemployment only get 26 weekly checks for 75% of the average annual wage over the past 18 months divided by 52, up to the state maximum. In Florida, the state maximum is $275/week.

That means if you were earning $600/week, which is a perfectly reasonable living wage in Florida that allows you to live with a working spouse and save for your future, and you become unemployed, the MOST you can get is $275/week.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:01 AM

Thank you for posting. I’ve been in the service industry and treat those service people that I deal with, respectfully.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grochest View Post
I am a male. I tend to get ornery when I am hungry. I found out my patience level severely decreases when I have to wait an hour and a half after I have ordered to receive my plate. So now, I just don’t go to restaurants and eat at home. I have found that I also save a lot of money. I also get to tip myself 25%.
You can also accept that there'll be a long wait, and get there extra early knowing that by the time you're served, you'll be hungry enough to eat.

You can also order in advance, and then show up 20 minutes before you expect to be served.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:20 AM
Sage

We went to Burger King for a fast-food lunch fix Sunday before last. The drive-through lane was open but the dining room was locked. Another customer walked up to enter. And then a voice from inside said, "There are only two of us working here right now and the dining room is closed. We plan to reopen at 4 pm."

We all said "OK, thank you" and walked away, and the other man, shaking his head, said, "I'm sure glad I came up in the era when I did."

In other words, normal routines are off the rails, so is BEHAVIOR, like when the woman threw her hamburger at an employee at that same BK recently. Now is the time to try for civility, not boorishness, and maybe someday we'll get through this.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
We went to Burger King for a fast-food lunch fix Sunday before last. The drive-through lane was open but the dining room was locked. Another customer walked up to enter. And then a voice from inside said, "There are only two of us working here right now and the dining room is closed. We plan to reopen at 4 pm."

We all said "OK, thank you" and walked away, and the other man, shaking his head, said, "I'm sure glad I came up in the era when I did."

In other words, normal routines are off the rails, so is BEHAVIOR, like when the woman threw her hamburger at an employee at that same BK recently. Now is the time to try for civility, not boorishness, and maybe someday we'll get through this.
I agree.

We have so many things to reflect on these days.

Today, I even thought of that old story and wondered, which is worse, the lady or the tiger?
Old 09-01-2021, 12:15 PM

Then why should they treat someone who smokes?
Why treat someone who was drunk and got into an accident?
Or treat someone who was speeding and crashed….
Old 09-01-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
I have antibodies and according to Israeli study 13x the fighting power of the “vaccine “ so why should I get it …. To make you happy ? What crap….,
So that's the study you believe because it fits your views?
Old 09-01-2021, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalumbos62 View Post
That is not what she was saying.
She's the one tired of taking the crap. She's not an instigator, she's not walking around being miserable and ready to pounce. She's tired of people throwing crap at her and having to shut up and take it....now if someone throws she has the confidence and ability to respond back, and not necessarily nasty, just standing up to the crap the other miserable xxxxx is throwing. There is a difference.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:00 PM

God bless the local Mom & Pop family owned businesses that they have family to pitch in ~
Old 09-01-2021, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
Have you ever considered your failure to protect yourself and more importantly others, through vaccination, abusive to those unsuspecting people you come in contact with
have you ever considered protecting yourself & not controlling the actions of others?
Old 09-01-2021, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Yes, I have noticed that about people as they age or incompetence and quality goes down hill, and I call it "the rat syndrome", because their is no benefit in being nice anymore, its all for oneself in the rat race.

Lets just say i was like that over the weekend, and my wife was not happy with me, as it wasn't helpful when someone was trying to help me. . . of course I was made at the machine being programmed to go slower than I was.
With respect to "all for oneself in the rat race"......I have a theory about the timing of when that started in the US. I believe that it has to with beginning in about 1989 with the release of the movie "Wall Street". People remember actor Michael Douglas saying, "Greed is Good"! I believe that caused many college students to divert INTO business and finance FROM engineering, science, humanities and etc. Wall Street executives and corporate CEOs like Jack Welsh, for example, commanded large salaries. Competition for a Wall Street positions like at Goldman Saks became fierce and candidates felt they had to be "tough" and "ruthless". That kind of attitude of "snarkiness and sarcasm" was at a peak from 1990 until about 2005. It started to level off with the next generation having more moderate and somewhat more considerate values.

Now the "greed is good" generation has retired, died, or is currently retiring. For many of that generation, their "pushy snark" has turned into arguments with restaurant workers and physical fights on airline flight attendants. Of course, Covid has JACKED-UP the emotions - emotions are RAW and on display more than pre CV. Also, of course, there are regional differences between Eastern and Ca. large city dwellers being more pugnacious than their small city, rural midwestern brothers and sisters.

Summary........retail workers are today quitting because they have generational differences in attitudes compared with the INCREASED (due to CV) ABRASIVENESS of the RETIRED generation. Many of the current workers (age 20 to 30) are very caring, wonderful, and people-loving young men and women. The restaurant business today (after CV) may be too "rough and tumble" for most of them. Many may end up in teaching, social work, or other humanitarian occupations.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 09-01-2021 at 04:16 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-01-2021, 04:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Just as there are plenty of places that don't understand the worth of an employee, there are also plenty of places that do treat workers with respect give them Fair wages and understand the value of a human body
I would be interested to know what are the percentages associated with EACH one of those workplaces that were mentioned. I doubt that they are equal.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I didn't quit my job at Publix because of angry customers. Been in retail too long to let them get the best of me. Ugly is ugly whether there's a pandemic or not.

But it's definitely an upside to not having to work anymore. I can now stand up to ANYONE throwing that kind of abuse at me, without worrying about losing my job. You have a problem with me wearing a mask? Tough. You have a problem with me telling you to back the heck up if you're getting too close? Good luck with getting me to shut up about it. It'll just make me louder now. I never liked people breathing down my neck before the pandemic, you bet your sweet bippy I won't stand for it now.

You don't like me giving you dirty looks when you cough in the store, and don't cover your mouth? Well then next time, cover your damned mouth.

And yes I will be vocal about it now. Because I'm no longer being paid to care what anyone else thinks.

Adding - and if I'm in line and the person in front of me is abusing the cashier, calling them stupid just because they're trying to do their job - you better believe I'll be coming to that cashier's defense.
Be very careful on what and how you say something to a complete stranger. They may be off their meds that day and YOU might need meds afterwards. There are some crazy people in this world.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts
Default Maybe, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Summary........retail workers are today quitting because they have generational differences in attitudes compared with the INCREASED (due to CV) ABRASIVENESS of the RETIRED generation. Many of the current workers (age 20 to 30) are very caring, wonderful, and people-loving young men and women. The restaurant business today (after CV) may be too "rough and tumble" for most of them. Many may end up in teaching, social work, or other humanitarian occupations.
My daughter quit the restaurant business because of crappy mgmt at a high end restaurant, and continued in retail with good mgmt. But she also have had it with people who don't respect rules set by the owner for acceptable behavior. Most restaurant owners and managers just don't have the skills to manage the transient, unskilled and independent workers as well on the thinnest of margins. There are many restaurant workers who are biding their time while looking for acting and higher paying gigs as well. So my theory is that most of them got jobs in better working conditions, and once a restaurant worker, not always a restaurant worker. . . though some simplifying assumptions just assume same job no matter what.

So with a movement into better retail jobs, that leaves the restaurant hiring pool to be much less skilled, and much more transient, and thinner. My wife's niece failed to get accepted for a career education program she wanted, so she went back to restaurant for the moment. Doesn't want to be there, but has to work.

And as far as customer rudeness goes, alot of it are the expectations built up, with the customer thinking and expecting to be right, or catered to, or looking to get a perceived deal. . . In the world of consumerism, the customer belief is "Everyone should be treated equal, but I want to be treated special!" think about it, and reflect on your own experiences about how you feel when you don't get the speedy service today what you got yesterday as far as service. . . and not being retired meaning you have to get to your employer for work.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I agree, "hospital and medical professionals" should not have to treat sick or injured people...............
Strangely, that made me TRY to think of a way that medical personnel could treat the UNvaccinated patients WITHOUT exposing themselves to the CV disease - the answer is they would have to breathe SEPERATE AIR! So, the medical people ALL would have to be wearing FULL HAZMAT suits and have air tanks - that would make tasks like surgery very impossible. Or science has to develop and engineer medical personnel controlled or A.I. self-controlled robots doing the work of Doctors and Nurses. Oh well, that's just Science Fiction............for now
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurant, points, posters, labor, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.