Restaurant Reviews By TV Gourmet Club Members

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson
Default Re: Restaurant Reviews By TV Gourmet Club Members

I would never have known the Gourmet Club site existed had it not been for me finding TOTV. What a wonderful reference to have. Thank you Villages Kahuna for sharing!
Old 01-23-2008, 05:05 AM
Sage

We like the breakfast/brunch at the IKEA furniture store. Was in the one by the Millennium Mall when we were in town two weeks ago.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-23-2008, 08:08 PM

many thanks for this posting and web sites...this from a newbie LOL.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:30 PM

While I agree that the listings are useful, you do have to be a bit careful. Some of the editors and/or reviewers apparently do not bother to get their facts straight. For example, the description of Isabella's Restaurant said that their menu was "Traditional Italian entrées"; however, Isabella's is a Mediterranean restaurant, NOT an Italian restaurant. They do have a few Italian entrees on the menu and an Italian family style dinner one (?) day a week, but the focus of the restaurant is Mediterranean cooking; for example, some of the entrees are served with couscous - does that sound Italian to anyone?

Obviously, not everyone likes the same type of food; Isabella's happens to be one of our favorites. ;D
Old 01-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Platinum member

Skip, Thanks for pointing out the new rating system on the TV Gourmet web site. It's been awhile since I looked at this site. With very few exceptions, they all seem to fare well. At least now with the numbers, you can begin to see that they're not all "excellent."

George
Old 02-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Veteran member

Good catch jime..and you are correct. I belong to the Gourmet Club and always attempt to be as accurate as possible. Most of us only post after trying a place for two to four times, never after one time.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 11-03-2012, 09:18 AM

how about TGI Fridays
Old 11-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Platinum member
Default New URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01 View Post
I would never have known the Gourmet Club site existed had it not been for me finding TOTV. What a wonderful reference to have. Thank you Villages Kahuna for sharing!
They have moved to their own domain now...

They even have a facebook page too.

Last I counted, they cover 624 restaurants in central Florida. Wow!

I refer to it often.

I see Mark and Terri Lansell of The Villages have just opened up a restaurant in Lake Panasoffkee, called "At The Pier Restaurant". I'll have to give it a try.

"So much food, so little time."

Skip
Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Platinum member

Didn't see that it was a 5 year old post.

Last edited by golf2140; 11-04-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Old Post
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran member

My only concern with the Gourmet club is the occasional truly bad review that is unjustified. An example would be the review for The Tilted Kilt in Ocala. The Tilted Kilt is a sports bar with scantily clad good looking young ladies, a clone of Hooters. The target customer is young guys going there to drink beer, eat wings, cheer for their team and flirt with the waitresses. A group of ladies from TV went there and panned the for not having good food. No mention of the beer or the wings. This is the equivalent of going to a cajun restaurant and complaining because the food is spicy.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Platinum member
Default Unjustified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMan View Post
My only concern with the Gourmet club is the occasional truly bad review that is unjustified. An example would be the review for The Tilted Kilt in Ocala. The Tilted Kilt is a sports bar with scantily clad good looking young ladies, a clone of Hooters. The target customer is young guys going there to drink beer, eat wings, cheer for their team and flirt with the waitresses. A group of ladies from TV went there and panned the for not having good food. No mention of the beer or the wings. This is the equivalent of going to a cajun restaurant and complaining because the food is spicy.

"Bad review that is unjustified"? I went to the club's website and read that review.

There is no ratings for the waitresses clothing. I didn't see any complaint about their outfits, just facts. It's a Gourmet website, not a Hormone website.

The reviewer said "I ordered the French Dip with Sweet Potato Fries and it was not very good. The meat was way overcooked and had the texture of shoe leather. The au jus was so salty that it spoiled what ever taste the sandwich might have had. The Sweet Potato Fries were tasteless..."
She rated the Food Quality as 2 out of 5.

She also said "Our server was very good and quite helpful."
She rated the Service as 4 out of 5.

She also said "The bill was $16 before tip and tax."
She rated the Value as 1 out of 5.
I presume she thought $16 for shoe leather was way too much. I tend to agree.

For the life of me I can't see how that review was "unjustified".
But you are entitled to your opinion, sir.

Skip
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.