Restaurants

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2022, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This description brings me back to when I worked in East Meadow, Long Island. There was a bar called Potter's Pub about 1/4 mile away from where I worked and my friends and I would go there after work at 11:30 at night. Nine times out of ten I would order the Steak Tid Bits. They may not have been "steak tips" but your description reminded me of the dish served by Potter's Pub. The Steak Tid Bits were delectable bites of marinated filet served in a dark sauce in a hot caste. OMG......so good.

Thanks for the memories.

EDIT: I just found this article..........
Potter's Pub to close its doors | Herald Community Newspapers | www.liherald.com
Some day we will find a good coffee shop serving good cheese cake in the villages open past 9 pm. Not likely though as it would violate the curfew.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
If anyone think’s Darrell’s is good they never ate in a Jersey Dinner
I have eaten in a NJ diner as I lived in NJ 16 years. I like the way Darrell's whips us the eggs for their omelettes. I've never had the eggs made that way anywhere I have lived.......Long Island, NJ or South Florida.

My favorites are right here in The Villages. I also adore the menu at First Watch for both breakfast and lunch. They have a Tuscan Fritatta that is my all time favorite dish for breakfast. Hands down.

Last edited by coffeebean; 10-22-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Some day we will find a good coffee shop serving good cheese cake in the villages open past 9 pm. Not likely though as it would violate the curfew.
I know what you mean.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

For breakfast Billy's is by far the best.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:19 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

The after 9 crowd is at World of beer or Margarita republic
Old 10-23-2022, 06:11 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Never had a problem. Always had a good meal and staff very friendly.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There is no diversity of places to eat here. That's the point. Every steak house and burger joint is pretty much interchangeable. Most restaurants here are national or regional chains, there are very few independent restaurants within the perimeter of the Villages. And most that are independent, get their sauce from a bag they cut open with a scissor and heat in a steam pan. Add a little ground beef and you can call it greek-style sauce.

If you want a pita sandwich it's greek style pita only, that slightly raised stuff. Lay it out flat and dump stuff on it, then roll it up. Instead of the middle-eastern style flat bread that you cut at the edge, separate the two sides, and stuff with the ingredients.

If you want tahini on your falafel, you'll need to ask me to make it. You can't get that combo at any restaurant in the Villages.

Curry that is NOT thai? Real genuine Indian curry? Gulab jamun? Samosas? Tandoori Chicken? Properly saffroned basmati rice? Fuggedaboudit. Go to Mt. Dora or Ocala, it doesn't exist in the Villages. Or learn how to make it.

This isn't even "gourmet" food I'm talking about. It's ordinary garden variety ethnic food. The closest bodega is in Winter Park. There /is/ one actual genuine taqueria, that's wayyyy over in Oxford. It's a food truck on 301 by County Line Road. I'll have to check it out next time I'm out that way. Very much missing having carne asada with chopped onion and cilantro with a squeeze of lime and a splash of habanero sauce on top.
Your post gave me heartburn and indigestion.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 11-03-2022, 09:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Your post gave me heartburn and indigestion.
There is actually a very good Mexican store (bodega) in Ocala on 40 just off 75. It is located in the same location as La Hacienda Restaurant which is also very authentic. There are several good taquerias in Ocala as well. Being in horse country,there are thousands of Hispanics living there and working in the horse industry.

Tags
restaurants, good, bad, mediocre, start

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.