Restaurants

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2022, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Well if you sit inside they can use enough bug spray to kill them all including the dead ones that fall to the table.
Actually, if you use the bug spray directly on your food the insects won't come near it
Old 10-19-2022, 10:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Cafe Havana in Ocala serves the best Cuban Sandwich that I have had around here. They're open for breakfast and lunch, Monday thru Friday. Very popular and reasonable.

Cafe Havana
923 N Magnolia Ave
Ocala, FL 34475
Coming from S. Florida have not found a good Cuban Sandwich but will check it out. Long way to drive for a sandwich.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I am from NJ and have never heard of steak tips.
New Jersey is not in New England. I believe they're most readily available in eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I went to Publix two years ago and asked for steak tips at the meat counter and they had no idea what I was talking about.

This place is supposed to have some of the best, but the prices are sky high: Steak Tips | Order Online from Dom's Sausage!
Old 10-19-2022, 10:42 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,616 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There is no diversity of places to eat here. That's the point. Every steak house and burger joint is pretty much interchangeable. Most restaurants here are national or regional chains, there are very few independent restaurants within the perimeter of the Villages. And most that are independent, get their sauce from a bag they cut open with a scissor and heat in a steam pan. Add a little ground beef and you can call it greek-style sauce.

If you want a pita sandwich it's greek style pita only, that slightly raised stuff. Lay it out flat and dump stuff on it, then roll it up. Instead of the middle-eastern style flat bread that you cut at the edge, separate the two sides, and stuff with the ingredients.

If you want tahini on your falafel, you'll need to ask me to make it. You can't get that combo at any restaurant in the Villages.

Curry that is NOT thai? Real genuine Indian curry? Gulab jamun? Samosas? Tandoori Chicken? Properly saffroned basmati rice? Fuggedaboudit. Go to Mt. Dora or Ocala, it doesn't exist in the Villages. Or learn how to make it.

This isn't even "gourmet" food I'm talking about. It's ordinary garden variety ethnic food. The closest bodega is in Winter Park. There /is/ one actual genuine taqueria, that's wayyyy over in Oxford. It's a food truck on 301 by County Line Road. I'll have to check it out next time I'm out that way. Very much missing having carne asada with chopped onion and cilantro with a squeeze of lime and a splash of habanero sauce on top.
You have completely made my point - there is no food diversity in TV, it’s all the same stuff from Sysco-this is not cooking, it’s merely cutting bags open and heating them up - you could train a 5 year old to do that. The so-called “ethnic” restaurants in TV are so dumbed-down to American palates, with very little seasoning or spices. This apparently is what most in TV want and tolerate. If not, then there would be a clamor and demand for better restaurants. I have lowered the bar in TV, but can only lower it so far. Luckily we are near/sorta near many good ethnic places (visited Tarpon Springs last week, and had a delicious authentic Greek meal). I’m a pretty good cook, and can usually out-do any restaurant meal. I’m making my way through Cook’s magazine recipes, as well as all the DVDs of America’s Test Kitchen - so much fun, and all recipes turn out excellent. I’ve also challenged myself to once a week cook the national dish of every country in alphabetical order, starting with Albania. Sometimes, I need to order unusual ingredients online.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:43 AM

I have not been able to find decent hot dogs either. In New England I would regularly get Kayem or Deutschmaker, I refuse to buy the Nathans or Ball Park in the package that seems to be available everywhere.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
New Jersey is not in New England. I believe they're most readily available in eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I went to Publix two years ago and asked for steak tips at the meat counter and they had no idea what I was talking about.

This place is supposed to have some of the best, but the prices are sky high: Steak Tips | Order Online from Dom's Sausage!
Obviously, I know NJ is not in New England. I googled and looked at phots of steak tips and would never buy order them. To me steak is NY strip, filet, Delmonico or Porterhouse.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
I have not been able to find decent hot dogs either. In New England I would regularly get Kayem or Deutschmaker, I refuse to buy the Nathans or Ball Park in the package that seems to be available everywhere.
I order hot dogs, corned beef, pastrami and brisket from Katz's Deli in NYC.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,021 Times in 5,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I order hot dogs, corned beef, pastrami and brisket from Katz's Deli in NYC.
When can we pop over for dinner? Do miss the food we grew up on.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,021 Times in 5,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Actually, if you use the bug spray directly on your food the insects won't come near it
Did they teach you that in med school?
Old 10-19-2022, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
When can we pop over for dinner? Do miss the food we grew up on.
Order 100 and shipping is free.
Old 10-19-2022, 01:31 PM
Veteran member

If anyone think’s Darrell’s is good they never ate in a Jersey Dinner
Old 10-19-2022, 01:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Dietz and Watson at WD
Old 10-19-2022, 01:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,021 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Coming from S. Florida have not found a good Cuban Sandwich but will check it out. Long way to drive for a sandwich.
I think the roast pork that the Cafe Havana uses is the part that makes it for me.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	cafehavana.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	95493  
Old 10-19-2022, 01:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
if anyone think’s darrell’s is good they never ate in a jersey dinner
love the one your with ??????
Old 10-19-2022, 01:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr22 View Post
obviously, i know nj is not in new england. I googled and looked at phots of steak tips and would never buy order them. To me steak is ny strip, filet, delmonico or porterhouse.
eating them philly
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurants, good, bad, mediocre, start

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.