Review

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2019, 03:03 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
You fell right into their trap. Not publishing some of their prices is a rip-off. Don't patronize places that don't show prices. "Market Price" is a gimmick. It sometimes translates to "Over Priced". The price of beef does not change every day.

To make you feel even worse, a 14 (not 12) oz. NY Strip Steak at Capital Grille, goes for $30 with a side dish. (That's 44% less, for 17% more.)

We should all complain about this bad practice of "surprise billing".

Skip

Or

Ask for the price B/4 ordering.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
A USDA Prime NY Strip goes for $9.99 - $11.99/lb at COSTCO. Like Chat, I prefer to grill my own. Now if I could only find some morel mushrooms down here for my Morel sauce....
Just stop it! You’re making my mouth water!
Old 09-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Finally got there last weekend. Liked the decor.. service was good. Wine by the glass unremarkable, but pricey for the Villages. I typically judge a steakhouse by the quality of their Bone-In Ribeye, which is not on the menu. So I opted for the $50 dollar Delmonico, which they equate to a boneless rib-eye. I would not order that again - it appeared to be pan fried, as it had no grill like char on the outside. Frankly, I like a good marbled steak, but this was as fatty as a prime rib. I'm not a good cook, but my grilled steaks bought from Publix are way better. Some mentioned Capital Grill, which I used to frequent when I lived in Atlanta. Atlanta also has a Del Frisco's and recently opened a Double Eagle after we moved. Unfortunately, they are not in that league. If one wants to stay in the bubble, it is certainly upscale. I am certainly a proponent of small businesses, and realize restaurants often have a short shelf life. I hope they succeed .. We'll probably go back for a lunch, or try some other less expensive items on menu and compare with Lopez and Havana ..
Old 09-18-2019, 03:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
A USDA Prime NY Strip goes for $9.99 - $11.99/lb at COSTCO. Like Chat, I prefer to grill my own. Now if I could only find some morel mushrooms down here for my Morel sauce....
I think you can at the Brownwood Farmers Market. There is a lovely Vietnamese woman who carries several varieties of mushrooms along with other difficult-to-find food items. She’s there every Saturday morning in one of the larger stands on the outside perimeter.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:22 PM
Veteran member

Yikes! I'd take the filet over a strip steak any day. Now, if I could only get a reservation that's well after 4 PM, or before 8 PM, I'd comment on the quality.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Sage

I got a gut feeling , the owner is taking a back seat to a college grad of a restaurant mgt school--by having bar staff use jiggers is a pure indicator of trying to squeeze the $$--IMHO-- this squeeze will backfire- once shame on you, twice shame on me

we were frequent flyers @ Peter Lugers-people check out Peter Lugers--this place isn't in the same county

Last edited by Chatbrat; 09-18-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,305 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
You fell right into their trap. Not publishing some of their prices is a rip-off. Don't patronize places that don't show prices. "Market Price" is a gimmick. It sometimes translates to "Over Priced". The price of beef does not change every day.

To make you feel even worse, a 14 (not 12) oz. NY Strip Steak at Capital Grille, goes for $30 with a side dish. (That's 44% less, for 17% more.)

We should all complain about this bad practice of "surprise billing".

Skip
When a menu says “market price”, you can always ask the Server what is the current market price for that item. Market Price can change quite often so that is the reason they don’t have a price by that particular item.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage

Halpern is a major purveyor--if you look @ their website-you will notice the name Shulars-- their prices are contracted-beef doesn't fluctuate that much to generate"the market price" connective remark--its another scheme to make $$$

Lobster & fish is market driven
Old 09-18-2019, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Finally got there last weekend. Liked the decor.. service was good. Wine by the glass unremarkable, but pricey for the Villages. I typically judge a steakhouse by the quality of their Bone-In Ribeye, which is not on the menu. So I opted for the $50 dollar Delmonico, which they equate to a boneless rib-eye. I would not order that again - it appeared to be pan fried, as it had no grill like char on the outside. Frankly, I like a good marbled steak, but this was as fatty as a prime rib. I'm not a good cook, but my grilled steaks bought from Publix are way better. Some mentioned Capital Grill, which I used to frequent when I lived in Atlanta. Atlanta also has a Del Frisco's and recently opened a Double Eagle after we moved. Unfortunately, they are not in that league. If one wants to stay in the bubble, it is certainly upscale. I am certainly a proponent of small businesses, and realize restaurants often have a short shelf life. I hope they succeed .. We'll probably go back for a lunch, or try some other less expensive items on menu and compare with Lopez and Havana ..
Actually ( Lopez ) is " Legacy " that said, Havana, and Legacy are way better than most here in " The Villages " .

The owners also own Red Sauce and Glenview.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Buy morels online.
Forest Glory Dried Morel Mushrooms, Largest Site on Facebook
Old 09-18-2019, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Well, from the looks of it, some of you have finally found the place for "fine dining".

$54 for a piece of meat that I can buy and cook to my satisfaction for a lot less? Not in this lifetime...……...
Old 09-19-2019, 07:46 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
well, from the looks of it, some of you have finally found the place for "fine dining".

$54 for a piece of meat that i can buy and cook to my satisfaction for a lot less? Not in this lifetime...……...
ouch!!!!
Old 09-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

FYI, you can buy two, 12 ounce, dry aged, USDA Prime strip steaks online for $55 each, from Allen Brothers. Then, you have to cook it. I don't know how Allen Brothers compares with Halperns, but their price seems to be in line with the Chop House price. Apparently, Halperns doesn't sell to retail customers. But, I still think the Chop House should show the price on the menu.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Actually ( Lopez ) is " Legacy " that said, Havana, and Legacy are way better than most here in " The Villages " .

The owners also own Red Sauce and Glenview.
Red Sauce and Glenview are different owners than Legacy and Havana. May have the same last name because they are related, but entirely different management and direction. They don't interfere with each other.

Skip
Old 09-19-2019, 03:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Halpern is a major purveyor--if you look @ their website-you will notice the name Shulars-- their prices are contracted-beef doesn't fluctuate that much to generate"the market price" connective remark--its another scheme to make $$$

Lobster & fish is market driven
Exactly my point. Beef is stable, fish is seasonal.

Skip
Closed Thread

Tags
strip, make, n.y, cost, halpens

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.