Review Helpful hints

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2019, 06:40 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Now what is a Coney , what does made in "D" mean--
Coney dogs originated in Detroit (the D) from greek immigrants. Typically a hot dog in a steamed bun smothered in a meaty chili sauce, sometimes with cheese sauce and fresh onions. One of the originals was Lafayettes in downtown Detroit. National Coney is now the biggest chain. This is a 5 napkin fork and knife meal with absolutely no dietary redeeming value. But sometimes you just gotta say, what the heck.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:02 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

I will add my own food background. Been in food service for 32 years not counting working my way through college at Red Barn, Baskin Robbins, Domino's and Little Caesars. I have the dubious distinction to have been personally hired by both Tom Monaghan of Dominos and Mike Ilitch of Little Caesars. I've traveled the world and eaten at some of the best restaurants and some of the best street food. Started cooking at age 5 and believe the mark of a good chef is how they cook fish.
As an avowed omnivore, my restaurant criterion are: warm atmosphere, prompt service, hot food served hot and cold served cold. Proper drinks at prices commensurate with the amount of pour. And menu pricing equal to the quality of the food.
Grew up in Michigan but spent 17 years on Maui and came to love Hawai'ian Regional Cuisine with it's emphasis on fresh local ingredients. Love all cuisine but my favorite country to eat in is Italy. Favorite restaurants in TV are Sakura for sushi, Bluefin for fish along with Bonefish, Belle Glade CC for their grouper, and VKI for teppanyaki.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Heid's in Liverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterylover View Post
Grew up on Long Island with Nathan's and married a guy from Syracuse and was introduced to Coneys pronounced Cooneys. Got them at a place in Liverpool. We would go there when visiting his family. Loved them. The pool bar at Lopez had them a few years ago.
That would be Heid's in Liverpool.. The originals were made by Hoffman .. Publix in Atlanta would sometimes carry Hoffman "Snappy Grillers", which would be about as close you could get to those .. I have yet to find them at the local Publix however ..
Old 09-26-2019, 08:37 PM
Gold member

That would have been Heids in Syracuse.. still there & still serving those Hofmann Hot Dogs & Coneys. This brand can be bought at Publix
Old 09-27-2019, 01:38 AM
Cool because you

Quote:
I know The Villages is a totally diverse community, made up of people from various locations & backgrounds.

I would give more credence to restaurant review , if a poster would mention their age and what states they lived in

Kansan"s & Texans know steaks . NYC, Boston & NJ know Italian

Maine residents know lobster

This is not elitism-- its more of a guide to help us &others avoid dining mistakes
Why would you give more credence to someone's restaurant review because of their age or from where they hail? That is really telling you nothing unless the specific person has written many reviews (and you tend to agree with that person).

I have a friend who only buys white bread, only orders spaghetti with marinara sauce in an Italian restaurant, only drinks hot tea (never any coffee), hates chicken, has never used her oven (in seven years) and never cooks.

If she was from the "right place" and she was the "right age" (whatever that is), would you value her opinion???
Old 09-27-2019, 04:20 AM
Sage

I know people who have never eaten good Italian food, real Jewish deli, world class sushi, world class steaks, real seafood, etc. and a person who is older may have a diminished sense of taste-when I was in the navy a fellow shipmate from Maine had never eaten "store bought" meat, I remember going to a Chinese restaurant near Gettysburg, who served rice shaped in a jello mold, a Denny's in Montana, that made a chicken salad from chicken roll--now if if lived and worked there all my life and moved somewhere to retire, I would think anything better was great
Old 09-27-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
I know The Villages is a totally diverse community, made up of people from various locations & backgrounds.

I would give more credence to restaurant review , if a poster would mention their age and what states they lived in

This is not elitism-- its more of a guide to help us &others avoid dining mistakes
NO, it's nonsense! I happen to be a New Yorker but I sure as hell can tell a good steak from a bad one.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant for people to say where they lived and why that area was a good place for enjoyable food experiences.

Your post this morning seems to assume that you have already decided on all this.

There are several posters on this forum who are extremely good cooks and are extremely knowledgeable about food preparation and who have very refined palates and they are not from any particular geographic location or AGE. And again, enjoyment of food is a varied as people's mouths.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-27-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:00 AM
Sage

as far as steak goes, if you wake up @ 2 AM and your mouth is so dry you have to have @ 3 glasses of water to quench your thirst-you can thank the msg or another tenderizer to make a restaurant grade steak palatable
Old 09-27-2019, 07:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
as far as steak goes, if you wake up @ 2 AM and your mouth is so dry you have to have @ 3 glasses of water to quench your thirst-you can thank the msg or another tenderizer to make a restaurant grade steak palatable
But if a tenderizer is used and the steak is tender and delicious, who cares who it's papa is...……….

This is changing the subject. One of the best chicken noodle soups I have had is this. Try it and get back to us. It is like your mama made...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...0-oz/863740179

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-27-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I know people who have never eaten good Italian food, real Jewish deli, world class sushi, world class steaks, real seafood, etc. and a person who is older may have a diminished sense of taste-when I was in the navy a fellow shipmate from Maine had never eaten "store bought" meat, I remember going to a Chinese restaurant near Gettysburg, who served rice shaped in a jello mold, a Denny's in Montana, that made a chicken salad from chicken roll--now if if lived and worked there all my life and moved somewhere to retire, I would think anything better was great

I disagree with your premise that there is universally "good" and "bad" tasting food.

I believe all "taste" is acquired and a function of what you ate growing up and most of your life. I assume a persons "taste" can change by moving or changing diet.

There is a delicacy in Viet Nam where a Egg is buried in the sand in the sun and allowed to get very "ripe". It is highly praised and taught after by locals.

The list is quite long of local cuisine that is "difficult" for foreigners to "enjoy". The local and foreign are not just countries, but regional. I grew up in the south and everything we ate was dripping grease. I was probably in my 40's (having moved away at 18) before I started enjoying food that wasn't mostly grease.

Edit: This is why it is important to say what kind of thing, for example, a "good NY Pizza" is not the same as a "good Canadian Pizza". I like both.

Last edited by Martian; 09-27-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
A Coney is a hot dog with so much crappola on it you cant taste the flavorless meat. Like the old Wendys commecial...”wheres the beef?”

I suppose its named after Coney Island...fortunately, you cant get a coney there but you can dine at the mecca of all hot dogs..Nathans

Nathan's has been rated as being "the best" all-beef hot dog with Hebrew National coming in second.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
That's funny, but I have to agree with you.

Somehow I don't believe that most people think of Ohio as being
known for having a plethora of gourmands or having the most places for one to choose where to experience those pleasures.
I was raised in Ohio which is quite the place for excellent food of every kind. When we were younger, Cincinnati had three of the Mobil five star restaurants out of 12 (Pigals, Maisonette and Gourmet Room.) 2019 Star Awards Winners - Forbes Travel Guide

Many good and long lasting food chains began in Ohio. It also grows wonderful vegetables, fruits, and meats including The BEST corn and tomatoes ever. (Cincinnati was once called Porkopolis for it's excellent pork and ham). The famous cookbook The Joy of Cooking by the Rombauers was written in Cincinnati. The Joy of Cooking is considered to cover everything to know about not only cooking preparation but also food and wine presentations and the proper glasses china and cutlery. As Chatbrat says there is a different kind of glass for red and white wine and for Sherry and for Brandy and Benedictine and Martinis and Manhattans and Cosmopolitans and Champagne and Old Fashioneds etc. etc.…..and not only that there is great difference in the quality and even sound of crystal. I learned that from my mother in Ohio and still can set a nice table and cook a good meal to share with our guests.

Ohio is home to excellent cooks and wonderful restaurants. I think Cowperson that you are really somewhat unaware of a wonderful place and nicely brought up people too.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-27-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I will add my own food background. Been in food service for 32 years not counting working my way through college at Red Barn, Baskin Robbins, Domino's and Little Caesars. I have the dubious distinction to have been personally hired by both Tom Monaghan of Dominos and Mike Ilitch of Little Caesars. I've traveled the world and eaten at some of the best restaurants and some of the best street food. Started cooking at age 5 and believe the mark of a good chef is how they cook fish.
As an avowed omnivore, my restaurant criterion are: warm atmosphere, prompt service, hot food served hot and cold served cold. Proper drinks at prices commensurate with the amount of pour. And menu pricing equal to the quality of the food.
Grew up in Michigan but spent 17 years on Maui and came to love Hawai'ian Regional Cuisine with it's emphasis on fresh local ingredients. Love all cuisine but my favorite country to eat in is Italy. Favorite restaurants in TV are Sakura for sushi, Bluefin for fish along with Bonefish, Belle Glade CC for their grouper, and VKI for teppanyaki.

What is VKI, please?
Old 09-27-2019, 02:00 PM
Sage

Unless local residents frequented the really good restaurants in their city, they may not have a clue what really good food is-when I was in business I took all my employees out to the best restaurant in Madison ,NJ which was known for its prime rib-one younger person order a "burger" he was silly slapped and was told to get ready for a treat

I'm not saying , that food is bad or good- but what is your criteria for rating a restaurant---because a server is polite and attentive is a +., what about the plating & glassware--what about the thickness of a steak vs the tenderness--thin steaks are a joke

Does the bartender know what glass to use for a red vs a white

This is not being a snob--but I know what is correct
Closed Thread

Tags
review, italian, lived, kansans, maine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.