Review Helpful hints

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2019, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Different people have different number of taste receptors. Some can differentiate sweet, sour, bitter, salty and savory to a higher degree than others. I unfortunately can taste the bitterness in greens much more so than my hubby. To eat salad I have to disguise the taste either with salad dressing or adding fruit etc. Hubby can just enjoy the same fresh greens just like that.

The same with wine, and degree of being able to smell counts too. Makes for picky eaters. Not sure it’s such a good thing.

Last edited by Velvet; 09-28-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:48 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
What is VKI, please?
VKI Steakhouse is the teppanyaki /sushi restaurant in Lake Sumter Landing just down the street from the movie house. Almost across the street from the Purple Pig shop. Very good.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
VKI Steakhouse is ... Almost across the street from the Purple Pig shop.
???

Skip
Old 09-27-2019, 05:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
???

Skip
VKI Japanese Steak House, I presume? It’s on google maps, haven’t been there myself.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:19 AM
Sage

This all is subjective on what is considered "good" or "bad"....I know of a woman who can't see well so would bake her famiy's pizza til it was nearly burnt. Couldn't see that it was that way and her family thought THAT was the way pizza should be cooked.

IF you never moved from your birth origin and ate what your mother fixed you and you went on to make those same things---does that make you inadequately "informed" on what is good and what isn't? What about the people who just can't "stomach" the thought of eating liver (pate) or snails (escargo...the spelling is wrong, I know) or beef tongue. The list could go on! IF you aren't Italian by birth---does that make it wrong to eat sauce from a jar? What about the Scandanavians who love lefse and lutifisk?? Just because what I may prefer to what others do, does that make me less than????
Old 09-28-2019, 08:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
But if a tenderizer is used and the steak is tender and delicious, who cares who it's papa is...……….

This is changing the subject. One of the best chicken noodle soups I have had is this. Try it and get back to us. It is like your mama made...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...0-oz/863740179
Not like my mama, that's for sure. But my DH makes fabulous chicken soup so I will take your challenge. Next time I'm at Walmart's I'll pick it up. (Remember I did the same with the Skyline Chile). And, if nothing else, you know I'll give you my honest opinion - good, bad or ugly.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
This all is subjective on what is considered "good" or "bad"....I know of a woman who can't see well so would bake her famiy's pizza til it was nearly burnt. Couldn't see that it was that way and her family thought THAT was the way pizza should be cooked.

IF you never moved from your birth origin and ate what your mother fixed you and you went on to make those same things---does that make you inadequately "informed" on what is good and what isn't? What about the people who just can't "stomach" the thought of eating liver (pate) or snails (escargo...the spelling is wrong, I know) or beef tongue. The list could go on! IF you aren't Italian by birth---does that make it wrong to eat sauce from a jar? What about the Scandanavians who love lefse and lutifisk?? Just because what I may prefer to what others do, does that make me less than????
Exactly what I said. It would be much more useful to say what and why. It seems in all things we have a tendency to say something is good or bad, when what we mean is I like this, or I don't like this.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:36 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
VKI Steakhouse is the teppanyaki /sushi restaurant in Lake Sumter Landing just down the street from the movie house. Almost across the street from the Purple Pig shop. Very good.
We think the best meals we have had in The Villages to date have been here. I have tried practically everything on the menu and it has never disappointed. Everything is so fresh. For those times when DH doesn't want to go out to dine, I will order to go and when I am outside I call and they bring the order right to my car. I highly recommend EVERYTHING on their menu.

My favorite is the Chicken or Pork Katsu and I also like the Fillet Mignon Teriyaki. Last week I ordered a soft shell crab as an appetizer -- delish!

VKI JAPANESE STEAKHOUSE
Old 09-28-2019, 08:39 AM
Sage

I agree that taste is individual, yet... most people seem to prefer the food at high end restaurants anywhere as compared to, say, fast food. We vote with our wallets. I would think that there is a certain degree of consensus on what is truly great food. I realize a vegetarian will never approve of a great steak, and conversely my dad couldn't believe that someone would actually eat vegetables. When I had a salad he asked me when am I going to really eat some food?

Last edited by Velvet; 09-28-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I agree that taste is individual, yet... most people seem to prefer the food at high end restaurants anywhere as compared to, say, fast food. We vote with our wallets.
It would seem MacDonalds has then been voted the best food on the planet.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
It would seem MacDonalds has then been voted the best food on the planet.
Or, the most affordable and available.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Not like my mama, that's for sure. But my DH makes fabulous chicken soup so I will take your challenge. Next time I'm at Walmart's I'll pick it up. (Remember I did the same with the Skyline Chile). And, if nothing else, you know I'll give you my honest opinion - good, bad or ugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
But if a tenderizer is used and the steak is tender and delicious, who cares who it's papa is...……….

This is changing the subject. One of the best chicken noodle soups I have had is this. Try it and get back to us. It is like your mama made...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...0-oz/863740179
I'll still try it but I just checked the link for this and I have to say in his Chicken Soup DH doesn't use most of what is on this list:

Great Value Frozen Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients: WATER, NOODLES (WATER, ENRICHED DURUM WHEAT FLOUR [DURUM WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], EGGS, EGG WHITES, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR), FULLY COOKED SEASONED CHICKEN PIECES (CHICKEN BREAST WITH RIB MEAT, CHICKEN THIGH MEAT, WATER, RICE STARCH, SALT), CARROTS, GREEN CABBAGE, CELERY, SEASONING (CORNSTARCH, SUGAR, GUAR GUM, SPICE, XANTHAN GUM, EXTRACTIVES OF TURMERIC [COLOR]), WHEAT FLOUR, CHICKEN STOCK (CHICKEN STOCK, NATURAL FLAVOR), SEA SALT, BUTTER (PASTEURIZED CREAM, NATURAL FLAVORS [LACTIC ACID, STARTER DISTILLATE]), CHICKEN FLAVOR CONCENTRATE (CHICKEN, YEAST EXTRACT, SALT, FLAVORING), PARSLEY, NATURAL FLAVOR
Old 09-28-2019, 09:55 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Many of us who grew up in relatively small Midwest cities and towns, as a general rule, have a much lower bar for good food and service than others. Some of us are just happy to get something to eat and to be able to pay for it. Fore!
Old 09-28-2019, 10:25 AM
Sage

That reminds me, country food is the best! When we were hiding from the Communists, my dad was very outspoken to my mom’s chagrin, we lived in villages of 50 people or less at times. The brown eggs from the chicken who ate corn were the best! And the stew made by the shepherds while we were eating to (hand made) flute music. The bread baked in clay ovens.... even the smells still get to me so many years later.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,611 Times in 5,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
I'll still try it but I just checked the link for this and I have to say in his Chicken Soup DH doesn't use most of what is on this list:

Great Value Frozen Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients: WATER, NOODLES (WATER, ENRICHED DURUM WHEAT FLOUR [DURUM WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], EGGS, EGG WHITES, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR), FULLY COOKED SEASONED CHICKEN PIECES (CHICKEN BREAST WITH RIB MEAT, CHICKEN THIGH MEAT, WATER, RICE STARCH, SALT), CARROTS, GREEN CABBAGE, CELERY, SEASONING (CORNSTARCH, SUGAR, GUAR GUM, SPICE, XANTHAN GUM, EXTRACTIVES OF TURMERIC [COLOR]), WHEAT FLOUR, CHICKEN STOCK (CHICKEN STOCK, NATURAL FLAVOR), SEA SALT, BUTTER (PASTEURIZED CREAM, NATURAL FLAVORS [LACTIC ACID, STARTER DISTILLATE]), CHICKEN FLAVOR CONCENTRATE (CHICKEN, YEAST EXTRACT, SALT, FLAVORING), PARSLEY, NATURAL FLAVOR
If you are controlling your sodium intake, the 30 ounce package has 2680 mg of sodium.
Closed Thread

Tags
review, italian, lived, kansans, maine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.