Rice and Beans closed

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 AM
Sage
Default Rice and Beans closed

Rice and Beans closed--they failed, having the main road leading to your place of business for close to year,IMHO drove them out of business

They were good
Old 08-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Platinum member

They are out 42. It never closed.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
They are out 42. It never closed.
Right, not sure why anyone would just not go when the 42 route is no further or longer.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Googled it. It said permanently closed.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Googled it. It said permanently closed.
The ROAD was never closed.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
The ROAD was never closed.
I was referring to Rice and Beans, not the ROAD
Old 08-15-2017, 02:03 PM
Platinum member
Question Too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Rice and Beans closed--they failed, having the main road leading to your place of business for close to year,IMHO drove them out of business

They were good
I liked it back when it was the Speckled Butterbean. I was disappointed to see it close under that name.

I wonder why it wasn't successful.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The last couple of reviews on Trip Advisor tells you why they closed.

April 4, 2017 - “New Management not a good thing!!!”

Very disappointed!!! We are visiting from Michigan and had been told this was a great place to eat. Had purchased a $25 certificate from a restaurant certificate app a few days ago and went to use it today. We saw a sign on the door that read "no coupons accepted under new management". We inquired before being seated and were told they would not accept our certificate. I told them we just purchased it but we were told we no certificates accepted. Needless to say we did not eat there. Will not return, they lost 4 customers today. Funny thing is I just checked the restaurant certificate app immediately afterwards and they are still selling certificates for this restaurant. Be warned!

January 26, 2017 - “How this place in still in business is beyond me - Overpriced bad food!”

...I came in at 12:30pm for lunch and there were only 2 other patrons. Bad sign. The one patron was up at the "bar" talking to the owner and the other was seated at one of the tables. The owner was crying the blues how his business was struggling, how he was looking to find a partner or move locations, and how sorry he was he had bought the place in Pedro. I would soon find out why this place was struggling once I ordered my lunch.

The waitress who was the owners daughter was really pleasant and smiled as she gave me the menu. The menu was an interesting mix of Mexican and Colombian fare. There were a couple of inexpensive items but most were over $12. She stated that they had a lunch special which was soup, ribs, and beans and rice for $9.00. I opted to get that along with 2 beef empanadas since I was hungry.

The 2 empanadas were on the small side but were ok. The filling was shredded beef and the empanada was made of yellow corn. They were deep fried and served with a spicy salsa for dipping. They were $1.25 each and unfortunately the highlight of the meal. The soup came out and was pretty bland and didn't have much too it. I can only decribe it as the stuff at the bottom of a can of black beans diluted with water. Added were 1 small potato, 2 tablespoons of spinich, and a sliced baby carrot. No spice and proper seasoning.

Next was the ribs with black beans and rice. They ribs were nothing more than 2 individual pork ribs tossed on grill for a few minutes. They were thin and tough as hell. The rice was some sort of precooked yellow rice which also had zero flavor or seasoning. The black beans were in a small bowl on the side and looked like they were dumped straight out of the can. I guess the stuff at the bottom they saved for my soup.

I would never go back and eat at this place again. This was one of the worst lunches I have had in a long time. Overpriced and extremely poor food. No wonder they don't have any customers. This place should be out of business soon.

Rice & Beans, Summerfield - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor
Old 08-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I liked it back when it was the Speckled Butterbean. I was disappointed to see it close under that name.

I wonder why it wasn't successful.
Carl, I remember a Speckled Butterbean but it was on 44 across from Powell Rd, a buffet type place. That closed and then it became a sports bar, O'Sheas but it seems without golf cart access it didn't make it either. It's now a newly built small strip center with a 441 Urgent Care and a phone store and couple of others.

The Speckled Butterbean - CLOSED - Southern - 5995 Signature Dr, Wildwood, FL - Restaurant Reviews - Phone Number - Yelp
Old 08-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Carl, I remember a Speckled Butterbean but it was on 44 across from Powell Rd, a buffet type place. That closed and then it became a sports bar, O'Sheas but it seems without golf cart access it didn't make it either. It's now a newly built small strip center with a 441 Urgent Care and a phone store and couple of others.

The Speckled Butterbean - CLOSED - Southern - 5995 Signature Dr, Wildwood, FL - Restaurant Reviews - Phone Number - Yelp
Thanks. I thought that the Butterbean became Rice and Beans. I don't get that far south very often.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs down Never went back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The last couple of reviews on Trip Advisor tells you why they closed.

...I came in at 12:30pm for lunch and there were only 2 other patrons. Bad sign. The one patron was up at the "bar" talking to the owner and the other was seated at one of the tables. The owner was crying the blues how his business was struggling, how he was looking to find a partner or move locations, and how sorry he was he had bought the place in Pedro. I would soon find out why this place was struggling once I ordered my lunch.
Now I remember Rice and Beans. It was on SR 475 just south of US 42.

I went there once, arriving at 7PM. The sign out front said they were open until 8PM. A couple of the employees were on the porch showing a couple out of the place and closing the front door.

I told them that there were five of us there for a meal. They said they were closing, and we couldn't come in.

Never went back.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:37 PM

It was in a lousy location. Any business sense would have said don't open a business there.
Closed Thread

Tags
rice, business, beans, close, year, imho

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.