RJ Gators

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Veteran member
Default Don't be so cheap

We are almost all retired people here in The Villages. The servers are trying to make enough money to support themselves and maybe a family. It does not hurt you to slip an extra dollar or two in on a tip.

I love RJ Gators and get good service there. I love Cody's and get good service there. I could go on with the good service I get at Redsauce, Thai Ruby, Urban Flats, and others.

If you do not get good service, let the manager know of the problem. If you do not get good food - do not take it out of the server's tip - let the manager know.

The manager at TGIFriday's got fired because he did not listen to complaints. Other managers in Villages restaurants know about this so they are vigilant now.

Try to think of the server as being your son or daughter - and how you would want others to treat them.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
My wife was a Red sauce the other day. Two ladies were sitting at the table next to her. Their bill came and the one lady says to the other oh we don't have to leave a tip that's why we pay an amenity fee. WOW !
Shame someone didn't explain to the woman (in a nice way, of course) that the amenity fees have nothing to do with the restaurants, let alone the staff. Sounds like she was confused about what amenity fees actually cover. She probably really did think that eating out was one of the amenities. Surprised she paid the tab.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Try to think of the server as being your son or daughter - and how you would want others to treat them.
This reminds me back when our son was working on one of his first jobs before going away to college.

It was a local restaurant where he started off working back bar and on the day he was assigned to wait tables for the first time he had a customer that had the same sense as the lady with the amenities comment. When the customer went to pay the check he told our son that his service was fine, but he wasn't going to leave any tip because he was not satisfied with the job the chef did. Needless to say, by son was royally p***ed and thereafter turned off to the idea of waiting tables!

After the bill was paid the customer left and forgot to take his credit card off the table. My son did the right thing and turned it in to his boss, but he was highly tempted to make sure the customer never saw the card again!

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." Thomas Gray
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Shame someone didn't explain to the woman (in a nice way, of course) that the amenity fees have nothing to do with the restaurants, let alone the staff. Sounds like she was confused about what amenity fees actually cover. She probably really did think that eating out was one of the amenities. Surprised she paid the tab.

My guess is those ladies were just kidding. Can't imagine anyone would actually think our amenity fees pay for restaurant tips.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Default Gators

I'm surprised by the negative reviews. We've eaten there many times and have always had good service & good food. We've also taken many guests there, and they've also been pleased.

Cynthia, class of 1967
Muscatine, Iowa City and Newton, IA; Belmont, Sunnyvale & San Bernardino, CA; Biloxi, MS; Cleveland TN & The Villages
Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Default tips

I can't believe someone actually didn't feel the need to tip because they pay an amenity fee! For the most part, the servers in the restaurants in The Villages do a very good job. They get paid very little, and it's hard work. We always tip 20% unless service isn't up to par, but that's rarely happened here.

Cynthia, class of 1967
Muscatine, Iowa City and Newton, IA; Belmont, Sunnyvale & San Bernardino, CA; Biloxi, MS; Cleveland TN & The Villages
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Sage

Hi Tom,

Glad to see you're back, but saddened that you had a not so good dining experience. I've not experienced that sort of situation at Gators. Sounds like this young woman either had a bad day and you got the brunt of her upset or she just doesn't have the right personality for the job. The wait staff helps make or break our dining experience in any restaurant. Of course food plays a very important part in whether we go back to a restaurant, but the waiters and waitresses are the people who act on our behalf. They need to make sure we're taken care of properly, let us know of any possible delays, express our concerns to the cooking staff about any problems with our meals and make sure our time in their dining room was to our satisfaction. It's a tough job and personally, I don't think I could do it. Waitresses or waiters that make our dining less than enjoyable should be mentioned to the manager....his job is on the line. Word of mouth about bad service spreads like wildfire and some people just don't want to deal with a surly wait staff and will dine elsewhere.
Hope you had a satisfactory discussion with the manager. Let us know how it went, will you?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
The bill came to $41. I had no small change and gave her $45. More a tip than she deserved. Usually, when service is this bad I leave a nickle just to send a message. I always tip well when service is good. I will call and talk to the manager today. I should have done so in person.
Come on Tom.........We're all sitting here at our keyboards awaiting the results of your phone call
Skip 2
Old 04-16-2011, 01:18 PM

We went to Gators today, and got up and walked out. We sat there for 10 minutes, waiters and waitress just walking buy. We will not return. Went to the Lighthouse and had a great lunch!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsew22 View Post
We went to Gators today, and got up and walked out. We sat there for 10 minutes, waiters and waitress just walking buy. We will not return. Went to the Lighthouse and had a great lunch!
Wow, sounds to me like Gator's management better start reading the posts on TOTV to find out how there restaurant is doing.
Skip 2
Old 04-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
Wow, sounds to me like Gator's management better start reading the posts on TOTV to find out how there restaurant is doing.
Skip 2
3 of us went to Gators yesterday for lunch and had no problem. Waitress took our drink order as we awaited the arrival of one of our party. Service was good, food was good. Maybe all depends on what waitress one gets???
Old 04-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsew22 View Post

wow, 10 whole minutes............maybe just maybe your server was picking up and delivering an order to another table. Try waiting a few more minutes or at least see the hostess...10 minutes........give me a break.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
wow, 10 whole minutes............maybe just maybe your server was picking up and delivering an order to another table. Try waiting a few more minutes or at least see the hostess...10 minutes........give me a break.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
Sorry but I don't agree with you on this one. I don't want to sit at a table for 10 mins. wondering who my waitress/waiter is. The least I expect is an acknowledgement that the waitress/waiter will be with us shortly. Maybe even offer to take our drink orders but not be left wondering.
Skip 2
Old 04-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Veteran member

This reminds me of the 70/20/10 rule. 70% are positive, happy, and understanding, 20% are on the fence, can go either way. and 10% are never happy no matter the reasoning or result.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.