SammyJoes

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2021, 05:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts
Default SammyJoes

Order pizza tonight, pretty darn good. Liked everything about it, crust, sauce and cheese all good.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:15 AM

Where is it located?
Old 01-14-2021, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
Where is it located?
near the Publix on highway 42 - north end of TV
Old 01-14-2021, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I discovered Sammy Joe's about five years ago when I was the VA Clinic, which is right next door and stopped to try the place. Went back about 25 times since then, I think they have the best pizza around, it's thin crust so don't go expecting thick or deep dish pizza. The lady that owns the place used to own the Son Rise Cafe at Southern Trace, which many liked but she got an offer from Darryl's she couldn't refuse. So now all her energy is now working in this place.

The only negative for me is it's 11 miles up Buena Vista or longer but quicker via 301 just to get there each way (I'm near 466A and Buena Vista). If you live in the far north end, then it's great for you. Also the layout, the tables are tiny, the place is small, they do use wire racks to hold the pizza up in the air to give you a little more room on the table, but those always scare me. Afterwards if you head east on SR42 in a couple of miles you're on US441/27, so we usually we combine a trip there with a trip shopping on 441.

I haven't been to Sammy Joe's in about a year, I started trying Flipper's at Transverse Shopping Center next to Dicky's BBQ, much closer to me. They have what's called a MY PIE, it's an 11' pizza with a soft drink for like $8 at lunch, a really good deal. However I wasn't crazy about the pizza, it was kind of gooey. About a year ago we tried a regular 13" pizza but asked for thin crust and we really liked it. Now they have the two for 22 deal, a 13" pizza with 2 toppings, 2 soft drinks and 2 salads for $22, I believe anytime of the day. So we've been going to Flippers on 44 at Traverse.

Sammy Joe's interior

The Villages Florida

Don't say you can't find it, it's in the Mulberry Shopping Center next to the VA Clinic and Mulberry Rec Center

The Villages Florida
Old 01-14-2021, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

There is Sammy joes on 301now in front of you of pepper tree apartment, I have not been there but the one by VS I have and pizza is good
Old 01-14-2021, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
There is Sammy joes on 301now in front of you of pepper tree apartment, I have not been there but the one by VS I have and pizza is good
That's not Sammy Joe's, it's called Sammy's Italian Restaurant, no connection. But the pizza is good there also, the veal parmesan is GREAT!
Old 01-14-2021, 12:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
Where is it located?
Mulberry Plaza.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That's not Sammy Joe's, it's called Sammy's Italian Restaurant, no connection. But the pizza is good there also, the veal parmesan is GREAT!
Exactly.

And the Italian subs are great as well
Old 01-14-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Mulberry Plaza.
Thank you. The far northern reaches is quite a ways for me, but if the pizza is good I'll take the hike and try it.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
About a year ago we ate at Sammy's on 301 across the street from Lucky U Cycles one time, and as noted by golfing eagles, they are NOT the same as Sammy Joe's. The place was very nice, went for lunch and only one waitress was trying to handle the entire dining room. The pizza was different than any I've ever had, they put the cheese on top of toppings. We only asked for green peppers, which I like on top and you can taste them. When the pizza came I asked the waitress, we didn't order a plain pizza, she said, the peppers are under the cheese. Didn't care for that at all. If you're into just a cheese pizza, it might be OK.

The Villages Florida

In the same area and much better pizza is across the street in the shopping center between Lucky U Cycles and the Floor Shoppe is Napolino's. If you ate there a couple of years ago it was called Chefs of Napoli and was excellent but they had 3 locations owned by separate individuals and the one in Spring Hill had an owner that was publicized in the local online rag for sexual activities with a minor. Even though this owner had nothing to do with that scandal or owner, the damage was done and this owner was forced to change the name. We ate lunch there in September and it appears they haven't recovered, there was only 3 tables occupied at lunch when we ate or maybe it had to do with the pandemic. If you're in the area, stop in and give them some business.

Napolinos

The Villages Florida
Old 01-15-2021, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
About a year ago we ate at Sammy's on 301 across the street from Lucky U Cycles one time, and as noted by golfing eagles, they are NOT the same as Sammy Joe's. The place was very nice, went for lunch and only one waitress was trying to handle the entire dining room. The pizza was different than any I've ever had, they put the cheese on top of toppings. We only asked for green peppers, which I like on top and you can taste them. When the pizza came I asked the waitress, we didn't order a plain pizza, she said, the peppers are under the cheese. Didn't care for that at all. If you're into just a cheese pizza, it might be OK.

The Villages Florida

In the same area and much better pizza is across the street in the shopping center between Lucky U Cycles and the Floor Shoppe is Napolino's. If you ate there a couple of years ago it was called Chefs of Napoli and was excellent but they had 3 locations owned by separate individuals and the one in Spring Hill had an owner that was publicized in the local online rag for sexual activities with a minor. Even though this owner had nothing to do with that scandal or owner, the damage was done and this owner was forced to change the name. We ate lunch there in September and it appears they haven't recovered, there was only 3 tables occupied at lunch when we ate or maybe it had to do with the pandemic. If you're in the area, stop in and give them some business.

Napolinos

The Villages Florida
I eat at Sammy's on 301 regularly and never had a pizza there with the cheese on top! I love their Brooklyn style pizza as well as the rest of their food.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:11 AM
Sage

///
Old 01-15-2021, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
I eat at Sammy's on 301 regularly and never had a pizza there with the cheese on top! I love their Brooklyn style pizza as well as the rest of their food.
This would of been in 2018, not long after they opened. Maybe management learned what people wanted and didn't like and changed their methods. I haven't been back to find out, as I mentioned further up, we've been going to Flippers for pizza. Much closer for us and the two for $22 is a great deal.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Order pizza tonight, pretty darn good. Liked everything about it, crust, sauce and cheese all good.
If anyone is on a carb restricted diet, ask for extra thin crust. It’s one of the few pizza places that I know that will do this.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

///
Closed Thread

Tags
good, sammyjoes, order, pizza, tonight

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.